E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DEPO projector90 upgrade DIY - work in progress



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
sandman0615's Avatar DEPO projector90 upgrade DIY - courtesy of the sandman
sandman0615
07-02-2010
So I just got my depo projector headlights from jlevisw, and because it's such a new product i thought i'd share my full experience and make a DIY for all my fellow e90post members. I won't have time to install these for a few days (working all weekend) but i will certainly keep you updated with...
  #352  
By misterba on 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 53%
DEPO

Ok, it rains here in SoCal and my right depo has moisture inside. So I have to reseal it. Also got speeding ticket, 75Mph in 55Mph zone. My Escort didn't even fart. I was counting too much on that radar detector. On the other hand, I was way overdue for speeding ticket. I was lucky tey didn't get me on the way from Las Vegas when I was testing the max speed. Yes, limit is on 135Mph. LOL. Not too good Christmas present....
Reply With Quote
  #353  
By cbetlyon on 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 67%
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterba View Post
Ok, it rains here in SoCal and my right depo has moisture inside. So I have to reseal it. Also got speeding ticket, 75Mph in 55Mph zone. My Escort didn't even fart. I was counting too much on that radar detector. On the other hand, I was way overdue for speeding ticket. I was lucky tey didn't get me on the way from Las Vegas when I was testing the max speed. Yes, limit is on 135Mph. LOL. Not too good Christmas present....
how exactly are you sealing yours??
Reply With Quote
  #354  
By misterba on 12-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 53%
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetlyon View Post
how exactly are you sealing yours??
Since I spent some time playing with them I guess the only shitty part on these lights are back lids covering access to the AE's. Yes, those with two fragile clips. So I will take it carefully off,(I had broke two of them already), put some silicone RTV and put it back. There is rubber seal which isn't really sealing, quality of the some parts are really very low. And I will see.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
By jedil1c1ous on 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Has anyone ever bought the depo90 with LED AEs and just used halogens in it? I'm wondering if you would get error codes for the excessive power draw (>55w) instead of the lower draw errors. I'm really worried to buy the d90 and have a nightmare of errors and off/on issues and thinking I might be fine with some luminics 5500k halogens or something.

Just wondering if we get errors codes when we draw more than 55w?

EDIT: Also, has anyone tried 55w HIDs? Since the wattage would match the stock halogens would we even need the error cancelers? Referring to these:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Last edited by jedil1c1ous; 12-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
By DMC1068 on 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I am wondering if I can get the projector and AE's with just halogen bulbs and then add the HID's later?
Reply With Quote
  #357  
By LinxuS on 12-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 73%
Are these errors something that Patrys can code out?
Reply With Quote
  #358  
By rlndeep on 12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
These look awesome. I see they say not for models with stock HID's, why is that? Also, are there just clear reflector inserts from anywhere? Does anyone make just the reflector portions to swap out?
Reply With Quote
  #359  
By DrDurt on 12-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuS View Post
Are these errors something that Patrys can code out?
yup, I had mine coded out at AKmotorwerks for my old oem conversion
Reply With Quote
  #360  
By krisw on 01-07-2011, 08:29 AM
My front turn signals keep going out. Is anyone else having this issue?
Reply With Quote
  #361  
By misterba on 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 53%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
My front turn signals keep going out. Is anyone else having this issue?
Yes, it will get worse if you will not fix it. Remove the socket, bulb and bend the connectors so there is more force against the bulb. You may slightly sand it down too. Another little glitch of the manufacturer. Be carefull when removing the opening at mud guard. I broke the latches. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
By krisw on 01-07-2011, 11:03 AM
What exactly should I sand down?
Reply With Quote
  #363  
By misterba on 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 53%
Just the contacts, but you don't have to.
Reply With Quote
  #364  
By krisw on 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Okay, blinkers seem to be working now. The only issue I am having now is getting a bulb out warning when I start up my car. It goes away and stays off after 15 seconds. I do not have HID's installed only the LED AE's. Anyone have an ideas as to why I still get this error.
Reply With Quote
  #365  
By cbetlyon on 01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 67%
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisw View Post
Okay, blinkers seem to be working now. The only issue I am having now is getting a bulb out warning when I start up my car. It goes away and stays off after 15 seconds. I do not have HID's installed only the LED AE's. Anyone have an ideas as to why I still get this error.
this is do to the angel eyes drawing power from the drls. only way to fix that error is to re wire the angel eyes so they get a new power source. or you can code that error out
Reply With Quote
  #366  
By Mrgiz13 on 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I want to do this so bad but I can't live with errors. Very frustrating. I have oem halogens with no angel eyes and basically hate my lights.
Reply With Quote
  #367  
By misterba on 01-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 53%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgiz13 View Post
I want to do this so bad but I can't live with errors. Very frustrating. I have oem halogens with no angel eyes and basically hate my lights.
Well, now after all that playing and tweaking I have no errors and I'm happy with my lights. Also got speeding ticket, damned lights. LOL. $419 and traffic school. Escort radar detector failed, as it was explained to me because cop was too close and laser beam was too tiny to pick up.
Reply With Quote
  #368  
By wmb0000 on 01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterba View Post
Well, now after all that playing and tweaking I have no errors and I'm happy with my lights. Also got speeding ticket, damned lights. LOL. $419 and traffic school. Escort radar detector failed, as it was explained to me because cop was too close and laser beam was too tiny to pick up.
SO what exactly did you do to make all the error go away?
Reply With Quote
  #369  
By misterba on 01-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 53%
Adjusted the contacts, bought error cancelers and learned to leave the lights on all the time. I wish there would be option just AE's on when parking and it would go off when the car is locked, but maybe when I get interested about messing with coding. For now I'm busy working on new house so my car is secondary for the time and money.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
By wuchao1 on 01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Well after installing this lights I have to say I now believe that the BMW system to the HID bulb and ballest is just magic LOL When I first had it installed, there were this complete bulb out warning (red car on a lift), then after a day the warning never showed up again, but my driver side low beam starts to goes out when temp is cold and I have to turn the high beam on til the unit is warm so the low beam can stay on.. and after a long drive from michigan to boston and back, now the light is all perfectly normal (other than all those error..) And couple days ago when I went to get my car washed, I guess water got in to the light and my right low beam quit working for couple hours and then after the waters gone it went back to normal
I guess those lights and the system just has their own way to figure things out LOL
o well... HAHA
Reply With Quote
  #371  
By demented328 on 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I guess HID ballasts have trouble in the cold. I went to Vegas for New Years and it was hella cold. I finally got a red lift icon as well as a headlight out error. Once it warmed up a lil, restarted the car and the error was gone.
Reply With Quote
  #372  
By misterba on 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 53%
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuchao1 View Post
Well after installing this lights I have to say I now believe that the BMW system to the HID bulb and ballest is just magic LOL When I first had it installed, there were this complete bulb out warning (red car on a lift), then after a day the warning never showed up again, but my driver side low beam starts to goes out when temp is cold and I have to turn the high beam on til the unit is warm so the low beam can stay on.. and after a long drive from michigan to boston and back, now the light is all perfectly normal (other than all those error..) And couple days ago when I went to get my car washed, I guess water got in to the light and my right low beam quit working for couple hours and then after the waters gone it went back to normal
I guess those lights and the system just has their own way to figure things out LOL
o well... HAHA
Be sure to seal it up, when water evaporates it will leave the film od water deposits inside of the light. And I don't know if it is possible to get rid of it. Also during rains you don't want to see dirty water spots inside. Just suggestion...
Reply With Quote
  #373  
By Engie8 on 01-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Exclamation Just in time

This post started off great and I started looking more into these lights and it seems to me they are definitely not "plug and play". I hate my halogen lights too but I don't want to waste the time or money on a product that is going to be a pain to install. Please someone let me know if they have the kit with the 6000k along with the LED AE's, and if they are legit and work.
Last edited by Engie8; 01-27-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST