E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Maintenance Plan in Canada



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
timlang
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs down BMW Maintenance Plan in Canada

I have a 325i currently on order (late Oct delivery), and when I was in with the business manager he was trying to sell me an "upgraded" maintenance plan. I generally don't bother with these sort of things, however I am confused, as I thought most of what he was trying to sell was already included in the standard BMW 3 yr free service plan... Is it different in Canada than the US ?

When I asked him about it, the business manager told me that basically nothing was included in the standard free maintenance plan other than the oil changes, and then only once a year on that. He said that brakes (pads, rotors, etc), wipers, fluids, and just about anything else.. even mis-alignment (usually covered under warranty on my GM cars) are all not included.

Is there a list anywhere that defines exactly what is and isn't included, because I was under the strong impression that the free maintenance included just about everything except tires/wheels and gas.
timlang is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
paullo
Captain
 
paullo's Avatar
 
Drives: ThreeThreeFive
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 686
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Without even knowing where you placed your order, I'd guess you went to Brian Jessel. If it's not too late, I'd seriously consider going somewhere else. You'll probably save money and not have to deal with the hassle of being pressured into upgraded maintenance plans.

BJBMW was the ONLY dealership (yes, we shopped all 4) that put us in that uncomfortable position. We declined everything, and as soon as we got home, called back and withdrew our offer. We went to Parkshore in North Van.

Also, the standard warranty on new 3 series; unless I've been lied to, is 4 years / 80,000kms. There are some things that aren't covered; brake pads & wiper blades, yes... but those are all expected to wear out or be replaced seasonally or every two years. You should weigh out the cost of the 'upgraded warranty' versus how often you think you'll change the brakes, and then see how much more they're padding their profit margin.

PM me, and I'll be happy to give you the name of our SA at Parkshore, you won't be dissapointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlang
I have a 325i currently on order (late Oct delivery), and when I was in with the business manager he was trying to sell me an "upgraded" maintenance plan. I generally don't bother with these sort of things, however I am confused, as I thought most of what he was trying to sell was already included in the standard BMW 3 yr free service plan... Is it different in Canada than the US ?

When I asked him about it, the business manager told me that basically nothing was included in the standard free maintenance plan other than the oil changes, and then only once a year on that. He said that brakes (pads, rotors, etc), wipers, fluids, and just about anything else.. even mis-alignment (usually covered under warranty on my GM cars) are all not included.

Is there a list anywhere that defines exactly what is and isn't included, because I was under the strong impression that the free maintenance included just about everything except tires/wheels and gas.
paullo is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
 
Ponchoyu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i Black
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

I didn't take the extended warranty......I was also told that ANYTHING broken would be fixed within the warranty period....incl wipers and bulbs!
__________________
________
2006 330i Sapphire Black, Premium Package, Sport Package, 6 Sp, Active Steering
Ponchoyu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
timlang
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Without even knowing where you placed your order, I'd guess you went to Brian Jessel. If it's not too late, I'd seriously consider going somewhere else. You'll probably save money and not have to deal with the hassle of being pressured into upgraded maintenance plans.
Wow! Good Guess

I have to say I was not really impressed with the business manager at all, however my SA was really good, and definately seemed to go the extra mile in helping me with my purchase (no pressure at all, no upsell, let me take the car out for a long test drive, etc.). I am sure I probably could cancel my order, but I dont want to penalize such excellent service from the SA just because the BM on duty was not so good. Plus I got a pretty good price (I pretty much got exactly what I was hoping for). I only have to deal with the BM once or twice and thats it, so I am not to concerned about it.

In deciding if I should get the "full" maintenance upgrade though, what do you guys think doing the brakes (at the dealership) would cost? I wouldn't think I would need to have them done more than once during the 3yr lease.

Is other typical maintenance that would likely be required in the first 3 years that would not be covered under warranty (and at what cost) ?

Thanks
timlang is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
kes
Private
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

I'm in the same boat as you, I got my car early June and was thinking to get the maintenance plan and I saw on the fine print it said you could get the plan within the 1 st year of your delivery. Therefore I'm waiting to see the cost difference for the brake job, etc. On a side note, my service indication saying the front brake will be due in service for 34000km and my rear in 35000 km. I currently have 4000km on my 330i step.
kes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
EvEr35
Private
 
Drives: 330i SP AW AT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canada

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

So are brakes included or not?
EvEr35 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #7
RICH2005
Private
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: VANCOUVER

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

I bought from Brian Jessel and was extremely impressed by my sales associate. No pressure and a long test drive as well as allowing me to keep a demo overnight before I purchased the car. The price after my trade in (the trade in for my 2002 330xi was above the top range for the black book wholsale) in was about $1500 off of MSRP.

As expected, the business manager tried to sell me the extra maintenance but I told them I was not interested and that was the end of that. Every car I have bought in the past from Honda's to BMW's the dealer has tried to sell me extra maintenance, undercoating etc. but I have always been firm and direct in turning it down and have never had a problem with them understanding and accepting that.

By the way I always had my 2002 330xi serviced at Brian Jessel before I traded it in and have always found their service exceptional. I hope this continues with my 4 years free service on my 2006 330i.
RICH2005 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
benoitch
Captain
 
benoitch's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Great white North of Montreal

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlang
Wow! Good Guess

In deciding if I should get the "full" maintenance upgrade though, what do you guys think doing the brakes (at the dealership) would cost? I wouldn't think I would need to have them done more than once during the 3yr lease.
That will depend on your driving. Driving the car harder will shorten the brakes life. In my case I had to change at the expected front 32k (cost was 275$ cdn , however since the tech guy forgot to tell me over the phone they let it go for free that time). Then I had to do the back at around 50k (costed 325$ + the hand-brake that needed to be changed. Total of the bill -> 975$). The extended warantee was at buy time 995$. Would have saved if I had bought it and had to pay the first brake job...

Quote:
Is other typical maintenance that would likely be required in the first 3 years that would not be covered under warranty (and at what cost) ?
Thanks
As you can see above, in my 3 years coverage I had to change the brakes all around and including the hand-brake pads. And I drove semi-hard, meaning hard at time but mostly relaxed and easy on the brakes. Don't forget that an auto will always wear down your brakes faster than a manual (clutch wear though, but never happened to me!).

Personnaly, I never take those add-ons, but this time I am thinking about it. After all the warantee is now 4 years instead of 3. However, the price for it will be higher (my SA did not know yet what it was). Also, don't forget you have at least 1 year to make up your mind. After that you can always buy it still, but the premium is higher.

Have fun !!
__________________
E90 SG,SP, Manual,PP,Terra

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
benoitch is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
paullo
Captain
 
paullo's Avatar
 
Drives: ThreeThreeFive
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 686
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Brakes are not included,... although as Ponchoyu had mentioned, anything that breaks, will be repaired/replaced under warranty. I was given a break-down from my SA explaining exactly what was and wasn't covered; and the only things that stood out for me were brake pads & wiper blades. I can live with that. In fact, I would go as far as to say that's just fine, because I plan on getting aftermarket pads as soon as these go.

Also, there is be a BMW brochure put out by BMWCanada that details all the pricing for exactly which model 3, 5, 7, etc. series you own, and how much typical repair/replacement work will cost. Ask to see one.
paullo is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2005, 11:15 PM   #10
D&G
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Coquitlam BC

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

So does anyone here can post up what is covered for the 4yrs no charge maintanence. My impression was everytime I bring in my 330i for maintanence for the next 4yrs is covered w/no charge per SA I talked to??????
D&G is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #11
sarafil
First Lieutenant
 
sarafil's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 335
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G
So does anyone here can post up what is covered for the 4yrs no charge maintanence. My impression was everytime I bring in my 330i for maintanence for the next 4yrs is covered w/no charge per SA I talked to??????

Sounds like what we used to have in the US... 3 year Scheduled Maintenance (oil & fluid changes and other scheduled maintenance items, but no coverage for wear and tear items), with an upgrade available to 3 year Full Maintenance (including wear and tear items like brakes and wipers) or 4 year Full Maintenance.

In 2000, they made the upgrade from standard 3 year Scheduled Maintenance to 3 year Full Maintenance. In 2003, they upgraded it to standard 4 year Full Maintenance. Last year, they introduced an upgrade to 6 year/100k Full Maintenance as an option purchase.
__________________
2011 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan -- Black Sapphire / Black Leather
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navigation

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 Mini Cooper S JCW -- 2006 MZ4 Roadster -- 2002 325i Sedan -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
sarafil is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2005, 10:23 PM   #12
D&G
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Coquitlam BC

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafil
Sounds like what we used to have in the US... 3 year Scheduled Maintenance (oil & fluid changes and other scheduled maintenance items, but no coverage for wear and tear items), with an upgrade available to 3 year Full Maintenance (including wear and tear items like brakes and wipers) or 4 year Full Maintenance.

In 2000, they made the upgrade from standard 3 year Scheduled Maintenance to 3 year Full Maintenance. In 2003, they upgraded it to standard 4 year Full Maintenance. Last year, they introduced an upgrade to 6 year/100k Full Maintenance as an option purchase.

If that is the case then the 4yr BMW Free Maintanence is a bunch of BS!! :mad:
It is just a marketing scheme or SCAM!!! My friend's Acura TSX is covered up to 3yrs and free oil change for life of the vehicle. Plus the first 2 maintanence is FREEEEE!!! As long as he brings it back to were he purchase the car from. His car is covered for a good 3yrs except for wear and tear issues. So that is no different than the free 4yr bogus Maintanence schedule BMW has. Hope I am wrong here. I also thought that for the next 4yrs everytime when you bring your BMW back for servicing you will not have to pay a single Penny!!! That is what I thought from talking to the Sales Rep at BMW.
D&G is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #13
sarafil
First Lieutenant
 
sarafil's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 335
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G
If that is the case then the 4yr BMW Free Maintanence is a bunch of BS!! :mad:
It is just a marketing scheme or SCAM!!! My friend's Acura TSX is covered up to 3yrs and free oil change for life of the vehicle. Plus the first 2 maintanence is FREEEEE!!! As long as he brings it back to were he purchase the car from. His car is covered for a good 3yrs except for wear and tear issues. So that is no different than the free 4yr bogus Maintanence schedule BMW has. Hope I am wrong here. I also thought that for the next 4yrs everytime when you bring your BMW back for servicing you will not have to pay a single Penny!!! That is what I thought from talking to the Sales Rep at BMW.
I'm not 100% sure on what your program in Canada is. You'll need to to check on that.

Our program in the US is very good. I get all the necessary maintenance done for free... oil & filters, brake fluid, new brakes, wipers, adjustments. The only thing I've paid for are extra oil changes in between the recommended intervals because I choose not to wait 14k miles.
__________________
2011 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan -- Black Sapphire / Black Leather
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navigation

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 Mini Cooper S JCW -- 2006 MZ4 Roadster -- 2002 325i Sedan -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
sarafil is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #14
StewtheBassman
Major General
 
Drives: 04 X5 3.0, 07 530xiT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hudson, Quebec

Posts: 6,386
iTrader: (1)

Guys, I don't know who you're talking to.

About the only thing you don't pay for is the scheduled oil changes, the A/C Microfilter (I think), and a wash, if the Service people are in a good mood.

The USA has a better plan, because they have a zillion more buyers and their market is way more competitive (IMHO).
__________________

StewtheBassman is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2005, 01:53 AM   #15
D&G
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Coquitlam BC

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Guys, I don't know who you're talking to.

About the only thing you don't pay for is the scheduled oil changes, the A/C Microfilter (I think), and a wash, if the Service people are in a good mood.

The USA has a better plan, because they have a zillion more buyers and their market is way more competitive (IMHO).

If that is the case if you have to pay certain things during the 4yrs then it is NOT FREEE!!!! So BMW should not market the saying "4yrs No Charge Scheduled Maintaince"!!!! Isn't that false advertising?? If that is the case then, alot of other car makes should say the same "No Charge Schedule Maintanence"!!!

That is just total BS in my mind!!!
D&G is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #16
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Brake pads & rotors are covered under maintenance program in Canada. Verified by my dealer.
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
StewtheBassman
Major General
 
Drives: 04 X5 3.0, 07 530xiT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hudson, Quebec

Posts: 6,386
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&G
If that is the case if you have to pay certain things during the 4yrs then it is NOT FREEE!!!! So BMW should not market the saying "4yrs No Charge Scheduled Maintaince"!!!! Isn't that false advertising?? If that is the case then, alot of other car makes should say the same "No Charge Schedule Maintanence"!!!

That is just total BS in my mind!!!
It is what it is.

Call your Lawyer if it bugs you that much.
__________________

StewtheBassman is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #18
BigPapiDoesItAgain
Enlisted Member
 
BigPapiDoesItAgain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M-B E350 Arcticweis/beige
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Shreveport, LA

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

In the USA, all maintenance/mechanical failures are covered - this includes bulbs, wiper blades, brake pads/rotors (I know from personal experience w/ my 2003 5er). Tire wear and rotation not covered. Oil changes only covered when the car "tells" you it is ready. I remember specifically w/ my 1997 5er it was pretty basic what was covered (bulbs, brakes were not - that I do remember), and I don't really recall w/ my 2000 328Ci - but I never had any problems at all with that car. I have never had trouble w/ the new warranties, and have yet to get screwed on service by the dealer here.
BigPapiDoesItAgain is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #19
Wolf359
Captain
 
Wolf359's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada

Posts: 942
iTrader: (0)

When I had my E46, the brakes had to be done once... Sad thing is, the warning sensors never worked, and my only hint had been the sound of grinding metal when the pads were finished. The discs had to be replaced as well. I didn't have the maintenance program back then and just that job would have paid it aplenty, so this time with me E90, I took the plan. I'm mostly stuck in stop-and-go traffic and I don't expect my brakes to last more than 2-3 years.
Wolf359 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #20
StewtheBassman
Major General
 
Drives: 04 X5 3.0, 07 530xiT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hudson, Quebec

Posts: 6,386
iTrader: (1)

I read the warranty book. It's oil, they check everything, plugs, and microfilters, on the Scheduled Maintenance.

Wolf, how many kms do you do a year?
__________________

StewtheBassman is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #21
benoitch
Captain
 
benoitch's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Great white North of Montreal

Posts: 959
iTrader: (0)

On my E46, I had to change the front brakes (pad and rotor) at about 30k. Did not pay for it cause the dealer forgot to mention it to me over the phone BEFORE doing the work. I then changed the rear ones at about 50k. I am sure, I was about to change them again when I got my E90. I was at about 82k. I don't drive all that hard (except in corners and highway ramp, whiiiii! ).

Unfortunately, in Canada the brakes are not covered. The extended warranty covers them, but only for 3 years at the price of changing them anyways. We do have a year to make up our mind, so I am waiting to see what other have to say about their brakes...
__________________
E90 SG,SP, Manual,PP,Terra

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
benoitch is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #22
Mr.Abulia
Driver
 
Mr.Abulia's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche Carrera
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 212
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitch
Unfortunately, in Canada the brakes are not covered. The extended warranty covers them, but only for 3 years at the price of changing them anyways. We do have a year to make up our mind, so I am waiting to see what other have to say about their brakes...
I don't think I will bother when I get my car, unless of course they are willing to give me a discount on it! When my brakes go, I would probably want to replace them with some brembos anyway. Call me crazy, but I'm much more turned on by the 100-0 times than the 0-100!

Drive safe...
Mr.Abulia is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST