E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First Post and a few Questions with it

12-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
brownsound
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

First Post and a few Questions with it

Hey all, I have been scouring this forum for a while and finally decided to sign up. I have been a owner of my BMW for quite a long time now, I got it as a graduation gift and I have treated it as my baby ever since I recently hit 60k miles on it and started thinking about a extended warranty (I never had any problems with the car but you can never be too careful).

Now the question is if I should put in a software upgrade. I was thinking about a Vishnu Procede since they are cheap compared to the others and seem pretty good. I saved up around $3k to spend on my car but if the reliability goes down I rather not do it at all. I was wondering if any of you used Vishnu and if you have, please share your experience on this since I'm new at this stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

ECU tunes are generally safe BUT there are always risks. The tuning companies make it sound completely harmless and that they're just "doing the rest of the work the engineers left out." Well take that with a grain of salt because as I said before there are always risks. Everybody's case is different.

My previous car was a MK5 GTI with apr tune on it. My buddy had a MK5 GLI and got the same tune, and 3 months later his turbo blew up. A couple thousand dollars later he got a new turbo installed and his warranty cancelled. On the other hand I NEVER had a problem and the dealer never found out. Just an example that wierd things can happen.

I personally would love to get an ECU tune but I would be far too worried of something major going wrong, and we all know what that means with BMW's, BIG $$$. If being out of warranty and possibly having to repair your engine if something were to go wrong is not an issue than sure, go for it. But if you would rather not double your risk of something happening and you spending a ton of money then I'd stay away from it. Either way I don't have any experience with Vishnu but just thought I'd help you out with the decision as it seems there is more on your mind than just 'which' ECU tune to get. Cheers!
      12-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
brownsound
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Thanks you mentioned some of my concerns there. I'm a college student so I might be a bit over my head here since money is tight but I do have a few friends who have a bunch of mods on their cars and that's enticing me to join their little club. I found another mod called JB3, seems well tested and its only $600
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Drives: ///M323 DCT

Vishnu is the more expensive tune.

You need to do research.
Appreciate 0