E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New iPhone cradle released?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
jhbodle
Captain
jhbodle's Avatar
22
Rep
712
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
New iPhone cradle released?

I've just ordered the iPhone 3G cradle for my E92 and they've given me this part number:

84 21 2 158 682

Manufactured 7th July 2009.

I can't find this part number on this site, is this a new version of the iPhone cradle and if so, does anyone know the difference?
__________________
F20 125d M Sport
Previous: E92 335i M Sport Individual
E90 325i SE E46 318i SE E36 316i
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
chumley
Captain
chumley's Avatar
9
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

iTrader: (1)

I just got my iphone cradle for new '09.

Part number: 84 21 2 151 043
It says: "Snap in adapter for USB"

My car had both iPod and smartphone options. Cradle snapped in and iPhone snaps into that. Supposedly improves signal strength too. It does charge the iPhone and make the iPod portion of the phone available through the headunit. Works perfect other than there being no way to snap it in if you have any kind of case on your phone.

Every once in a while the phone says "...not designed for iPhone" but it works anyway. Belkin charger I got for my wife's car says the same thing and I bought that at the Apple store!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
rollyn2night
Lieutenant
rollyn2night's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
429
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
07 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to rollyn2night
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I just got my iphone cradle for new '09.

Part number: 84 21 2 151 043
It says: "Snap in adapter for USB"

My car had both iPod and smartphone options. Cradle snapped in and iPhone snaps into that. Supposedly improves signal strength too. It does charge the iPhone and make the iPod portion of the phone available through the headunit. Works perfect other than there being no way to snap it in if you have any kind of case on your phone.

Every once in a while the phone says "...not designed for iPhone" but it works anyway. Belkin charger I got for my wife's car says the same thing and I bought that at the Apple store!
So are you saying that you play music from your iphone in your car, by just having you iphone docked in the cradle.nice.. I thought the cradle just charged the phone and gave it extra signal. I have a 2007 e92 and I dont have the ipod/usb option in my car. Any chances if the music might still work with this cradle?? btw i have the 3gs
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
choicez
Major
choicez's Avatar
53
Rep
1,068
Posts

 
Drives: you mad
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA

iTrader: (13)

can someone snap a picture of it?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,257
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyn2night View Post
So are you saying that you play music from your iphone in your car, by just having you iphone docked in the cradle.nice.. I thought the cradle just charged the phone and gave it extra signal. I have a 2007 e92 and I dont have the ipod/usb option in my car. Any chances if the music might still work with this cradle?? btw i have the 3gs
I don't think so, that is what the Ipod/sub option is for. The Iphone cradle merely allows the iphone to use the antenna built into the car which comes with Assist, it has nothing to do with playing your ipod or iphone songs from the headunit.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
MMAJNKE
MMA Changed My Life!
MMAJNKE's Avatar
Japan
134
Rep
6,231
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3 & f30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: so cal

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
chumley
Captain
chumley's Avatar
9
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyn2night View Post
So are you saying that you play music from your iphone in your car, by just having you iphone docked in the cradle.nice.. I thought the cradle just charged the phone and gave it extra signal. I have a 2007 e92 and I dont have the ipod/usb option in my car. Any chances if the music might still work with this cradle?? btw i have the 3gs
Yes, dock the iPhone and "iPod" becomes an available source through the headunit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I don't think so, that is what the Ipod/sub option is for. The Iphone cradle merely allows the iphone to use the antenna built into the car which comes with Assist, it has nothing to do with playing your ipod or iphone songs from the headunit.
I don't think so either, but not for the reason you're thinking. I think it works because I have the smartphone integration option which, as I understand it, is required in order to buy the specific bases that are available for certain phones. This cradle, combined with the option, gives you the charging, antenna, AND links the iPod portion of the phone. I'm not sure if that means you would have access to music on a Blackberry, Nokia, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by second_2_nun View Post
I will take a couple tonight and post. Don't get too excited, it's not much to look at!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
chumley
Captain
chumley's Avatar
9
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

iTrader: (1)

As promised.
Blank cradle the car came delivered with, the actual part, and installed.

Only negative is that you can't clip it in with any kind of case so I may try a dock extension. I like my case and it's too much of a pain to remove for short trips.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,257
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I don't think so either, but not for the reason you're thinking. I think it works because I have the smartphone integration option which, as I understand it, is required in order to buy the specific bases that are available for certain phones. This cradle, combined with the option, gives you the charging, antenna, AND links the iPod portion of the phone. I'm not sure if that means you would have access to music on a Blackberry, Nokia, etc.
I have ipod, and smart phone and Assist. I can use the Y connector to play music from the ipod, it also recharges the phone and uses Bluetooth for hands free cell phone use. The only advantage I see from the cradle is the use of the Assist antenna by my Iphone. Maybe it is a bit easier to get the phone in and out, I don't know. But it does mean that I can't have a case on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
MMAJNKE
MMA Changed My Life!
MMAJNKE's Avatar
Japan
134
Rep
6,231
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3 & f30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: so cal

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
I like the case don't see any real purpose for it besides looks
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
VP Electricity's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
3,181
Posts

 
Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
The only advantage I see from the cradle is the use of the Assist antenna by my Iphone.
The use of the external antenna is not something to be treated lightly, especially by AT&T users
__________________
Musicar Northwest - TOP 12 Retailer 2014
OE-Look Enclosures for F30/F80, F32/F82, and more!
Ask about our bolt-in audio upgrades for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
hsleiman
First Lieutenant
hsleiman's Avatar
Lebanon
4
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: 11 e90 335xi PPK 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV

iTrader: (1)

I haven't seen one of these in person yet but maybe if you pull the rubber stopper from the middle of the cradle it might work with some thinner cases. May be worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
amlebede
Guest
amlebede's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
612
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amlebede Send a message via Skype™ to amlebede
I would prefer the cheaper Kuda mount.
http://www.kudausa.com
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
gabrielddc
New Member
Brazil
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i 2011 / X3 28i 2012
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: São Paulo

iTrader: (0)

Hi All.
I have a 325i 2011 Brazil (I know that in US start in 328i) without iDrive and I donīt know if it will play music in my sound.
My car have a Professional Sound (Harma Kardon), and have the place to put iPhone cradle, but donīt have the USB AUX IN and donīt have the iDrive.
What do you think? It will play music from my iPhone?

Thank you!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:08 AM   #15
Jgcdude1
the bees knees!
United_States
3
Rep
271
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E93
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 E46 325Ci  [0.00]
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
2011 E93 335i  [0.00]
I bought the cradle thinking I could use all my Iphone features on my Idrive screen, after countless reading of threads, it seems I was mistake. If I read correctly, the only thing "ALL" the cradles do, is charge your phone and improve the signal is this correct?

If so, I am returning the cradle. It seems BMW built a 160+ dollar glorified charger!

Please let me know if I have misread!

Thanks all
__________________
335i E93 Le Mans Blue/BMW Performance Shifter
328i E92 Space Gray/BMW Performance Shifter/M-tech Lip/LED Halos
325Ci E46 Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
I335
Brigadier General
I335's Avatar
59
Rep
4,251
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgcdude1 View Post
I bought the cradle thinking I could use all my Iphone features on my Idrive screen, after countless reading of threads, it seems I was mistake. If I read correctly, the only thing "ALL" the cradles do, is charge your phone and improve the signal is this correct?

If so, I am returning the cradle. It seems BMW built a 160+ dollar glorified charger!

Please let me know if I have misread!

Thanks all
Almost correct. You've got the functionality down but in addition to it being a glorified charger/signal enhancer, it's also a nice place to keep your phone. I had one in my X5 and I liked it (notice I said "liked", not "loved") but I didn't order it with my 335 for the very reasons you discovered and I found that even though it charges the phone and enhances the signal a bit, I really don't need it to unless I'm going on a long trip. The other reason I don't have one is because I like to keep my water bottle right where the phone would go - especially in the summer as I can keep the water cool with the AC feature in there.

So were you under the impression that you'd be able to use all your iphone apps on your idrive screen with this - is that why you bought it? That sure would be great but unfortunately it doesn't do that. It does allow you to get to your contacts and music though - just like if you plugged the phone into the Aux/USB connectors.

And BTW - I must just be in a good area all the time as my signal w/AT&T is excellent just about all the time - even better than Verizon where I'm at. I know it wasn't that way about 8 or 10 years ago as it used to be horrible around here, but AT&T has clearly done something about it. Apologies for the digression....

Last edited by I335; 01-11-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,184
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielddc View Post
Hi All.
I have a 325i 2011 Brazil (I know that in US start in 328i) without iDrive and I donīt know if it will play music in my sound.
My car have a Professional Sound (Harma Kardon), and have the place to put iPhone cradle, but donīt have the USB AUX IN and donīt have the iDrive.
What do you think? It will play music from my iPhone?

Thank you!!!!
You just answered your own question... no.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
Jgcdude1
the bees knees!
United_States
3
Rep
271
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E93
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 E46 325Ci  [0.00]
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
2011 E93 335i  [0.00]
[quote=I335;8664435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgcdude1 View Post
I bought the cradle thinking I could use all my Iphone features on my Idrive screen, after countless reading of threads, it seems I was mistake. If I read correctly, the only thing "ALL" the cradles do, is charge your phone and improve the signal is this correct?

If so, I am returning the cradle. It seems BMW built a 160 dollar glorified charger!

Please let me know if I have misread!

Thanks all
Almost correct. You've got the functionality down but in addition to it being a glorified charger/signal enhancer, it's also a nice place to keep your phone. I had one in my X5 and I liked it (notice I said "liked", not "loved") but I didn't order it with my 335 for the very reasons you discovered and I found that even though it charges the phone and enhances the signal a bit, I really don't need it to unless I'm going on a long trip. The other reason I don't have one is because I like to keep my water bottle right where the phone would go - especially in the summer as I can keep the water cool with the AC feature in there.

So were you under the impression that you'd be able to use all your iphone apps on your idrive screen with this - is that why you bought it? That sure would be great but unfortunately it doesn't do that. It does allow you to get to your contacts and music though - just like if you plugged the phone into the Aux/USB connectors.

And BTW - I must just be in a good area all the time as my signal w/AT
__________________
335i E93 Le Mans Blue/BMW Performance Shifter
328i E92 Space Gray/BMW Performance Shifter/M-tech Lip/LED Halos
325Ci E46 Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST