E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Possible new 335d or 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #67
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5

 
ZiM's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Staffordshire, UK


Posts: 304
iTrader: (0)

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Does the diesel not make a nice sound when pushed ? I was torn between petrol and diesel.... the lack of wait time for the diesel won me over in the end, I hope I won't regret it as I am still young enough to be thrashing around !
the sound is nice, just not "petrol nice"... a nice raspy growl i would call it
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #68
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK


Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ta. I'm paranoid about this car, most I've ever spent on a car.
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #69
Dante
Major
Germany
50

 
Dante's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 330d / E89 Z4 30i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bavaria


Posts: 1,439
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
the sound is nice, just not "petrol nice"... a nice raspy growl i would call it
Yeah, I think it's more a V8 like growl then an I6-sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #70
rjs
Major
England
15

 
rjs's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK (West Mids)


Posts: 1,281
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Does the diesel not make a nice sound when pushed ? I was torn between petrol and diesel.... the lack of wait time for the diesel won me over in the end, I hope I won't regret it as I am still young enough to be thrashing around !
It's not bad, you get a little "clatter" when idling, nothing like diesels of old though. Sounds quite good when you are off and running.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #71
paddywac
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: bmw e90 320d m sport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Manchester


Posts: 174
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to paddywac
to give some idea of the sound of the 3.0 IL6, whilst trying to keep up wi Beaufighter at UK3 I found the best indicator of when he was giving it sum was to turn off the radio, open me window and wait for the acoustics from his engine before flooring it meself and sending a load of soot out me tailpipe!!

PS and I know this sounds a bit hooliganish perhaps childish but had a great race wi a Honda ZX type R yesterday..........result over a mile or so was nothing init, it must have surprised him as he came (ooohh err) from behind and knew what he was up against (lowly 2.0d), yet when he gunned it he could not pull away.

THANKS TO DMS DIESEL POWER
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 01:03 PM   #72
mjh93sa
Major General
England
58

 
mjh93sa's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire


Posts: 5,079
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddywac View Post
to give some idea of the sound of the 3.0 IL6, whilst trying to keep up wi Beaufighter at UK3 I found the best indicator of when he was giving it sum was to turn off the radio, open me window and wait for the acoustics from his engine before flooring it meself and sending a load of soot out me tailpipe!!
There wasn't that much soot Paddy. Though it did let me know when the two of you were about to head for the horizon again.
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #73
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
5

 
ZiM's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330d
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Staffordshire, UK


Posts: 304
iTrader: (0)

mine does do this thing tho (this is gonna be hard to explain) - when you boot it, after maybe 2.5k revs, there is a sort of rotational clatter... kind of like a little click which speeds up with the revs...

doesn't sound bad, just not entirely sure its supposed to be there at all...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #74
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
111

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Does the diesel not make a nice sound when pushed ? I was torn between petrol and diesel.... the lack of wait time for the diesel won me over in the end, I hope I won't regret it as I am still young enough to be thrashing around !
It's not an unpleasant sound, but it's not particularly exciting either.

The diesels sound powerful, but I have to disagree with Dante (sorry) I don't think it's anything like a V8 rumble.

If you listen to a 550i vs a 335d you would have to agree.

You won't want to wind down you windows to listen to the diesel sing.

The petrol engines on the other hand make the sort of noise you tried to make when you played with toy cars as a kid.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #75
Dante
Major
Germany
50

 
Dante's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 330d / E89 Z4 30i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bavaria


Posts: 1,439
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
You won't want to wind down you windows to listen to the diesel sing.
Well, I do!

I think its a very powerful sound and I love to listen to the turbo kicking in at 1500 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
The petrol engines on the other hand make the sort of noise you tried to make when you played with toy cars as a kid.
For this I have a 1957 Austin Healey 100/6 and an 1970 MGB GT at my disposal. 'VROOOOOOM...!'
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #76
vivekk
THE Viv
England
68

 
vivekk's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SE
Join Date: May 2005
Location: the North, UK


Posts: 4,740
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
It's not an unpleasant sound, but it's not particularly exciting either.

The diesels sound powerful, but I have to disagree with Dante (sorry) I don't think it's anything like a V8 rumble.

If you listen to a 550i vs a 335d you would have to agree.

You won't want to wind down you windows to listen to the diesel sing.

The petrol engines on the other hand make the sort of noise you tried to make when you played with toy cars as a kid.
Couldn't have put it any better myself, NFS!

Viv
__________________
[TiAg ▪ Dakota Black ▪ Active steering ▪ Sports suspension ▪ 162s ▪ Sports seats ▪ Al trim ▪ Bi-Xenons ▪ F&R PDC NavPro ▪ Voice control ▪ Bluetooth ▪ 6CD Logic7]


Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #77
- Paul -
Major General
England
179

 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK


Posts: 7,273
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
It's not an unpleasant sound, but it's not particularly exciting either.

The diesels sound powerful, but I have to disagree with Dante (sorry) I don't think it's anything like a V8 rumble.

If you listen to a 550i vs a 335d you would have to agree.

You won't want to wind down you windows to listen to the diesel sing.

The petrol engines on the other hand make the sort of noise you tried to make when you played with toy cars as a kid.
I agree - I won't be driving with my windows down - even in the summer . Petrol sounds better than diesel but it also costs more to run/tax (335i vs 335d) You have to fill up more often and drive it like you stole it to get the true performance from it. After factoring in the auto on both i and D the price is the same (give or take 200) Spoke to the dealer today who is going to talk to me on Monday re a 335D M Sport test drive. Watch this space.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #78
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
111

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Well, I do!

I think its a very powerful sound and I love to listen to the turbo kicking in at 1500 rpm.

For this I have a 1957 Austin Healey 100/6 and an 1970 MGB GT at my disposal. 'VROOOOOOM...!'
Each to their own. I do agree the diesel note is refined, powerful and not at all unpleasant. I just don't find it 'musical' or appreciate it as I would a porsche, ferrari or (to a lessor extent) 330i engine note.

If you can have a little petrol sportscar as well, then you have the best of both worlds. Both british models as well I see !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
I agree - I won't be driving with my windows down - even in the summer . Petrol sounds better than diesel but it also costs more to run/tax (335i vs 335d) You have to fill up more often and drive it like you stole it to get the true performance from it. After factoring in the auto on both i and D the price is the same (give or take 200) Spoke to the dealer today who is going to talk to me on Monday re a 335D M Sport test drive. Watch this space.
If you want the auto then the decision is half made. From that point on the diesel IS the sensible choice. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Going for the petrol is very much a gut-decision and unless you are really feeling a need for it there is no point.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #79
- Paul -
Major General
England
179

 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK


Posts: 7,273
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
I don't recall ever being called sensible before - I must be getting old!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #80
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
111

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
I don't recall ever being called sensible before - I must be getting old!!
Well the 320d is more 'sensible' than a 335d.

If anything this suggests that you are getting less sensible.

So either you are getting younger or you are getting so old that you are losing your senses altogether.

I think I am having an early mid life crisis, because I am trying to convince my wife that we need a lotus exige.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #81
Dante
Major
Germany
50

 
Dante's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 330d / E89 Z4 30i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bavaria


Posts: 1,439
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Well the 320d is more 'sensible' than a 335d.

If anything this suggests that you are getting less sensible.

So either you are getting younger or you are getting so old that you are losing your senses altogether.

I think I am having an early mid life crisis, because I am trying to convince my wife that we need a lotus exige.
Nah, what you really need is this:

http://www.wiesmann-auto-sport.de/index.html

Here's a pic of it with the Healey:



(sorry for the big-time- )
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #82
- Paul -
Major General
England
179

 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK


Posts: 7,273
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Funnily enough - I've just been looking at what else is in my price range on drivethedeal and the exige appears!!! I think the missus would reckon I'd lost my marbles if I turned up in one of them. Suppose you're right re the 320D but that was a money decision really (plus its faster than the 320i)

__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #83
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
111

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Funnily enough - I've just been looking at what else is in my price range on drivethedeal and the exige appears!!! I think the missus would reckon I'd lost my marbles if I turned up in one of them. Suppose you're right re the 320D but that was a money decision really (plus its faster than the 320i)

No .. it has to be a black one:



I can't get the top gear test with the helicopter out of my head:

__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #84
- Paul -
Major General
England
179

 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK


Posts: 7,273
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Is that a special edition? Different mirrors/splitter etc.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #85
Dave_3
Colonel
Scotland
41

 
Dave_3's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D sDrive Msport
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CH / SCO


Posts: 2,789
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Does the diesel not make a nice sound when pushed ? I was torn between petrol and diesel.... the lack of wait time for the diesel won me over in the end, I hope I won't regret it as I am still young enough to be thrashing around !
I videoed my 335D in my garage. This is with the driver window open. Gives you an idea about the sound. Gently revving.



I have one under acceleration ... need to upload that.

D.
__________________
Escort Mk1 RS2000 (2.1 2x44IDFS, BVH, Kent FR32, 5spd, 180 BHP) : Fully Loaded F32 430D M Sport sDrive : Previously Full-Spec 335D E92 2006 : Capri MK1 full rebuild in progress

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #86
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
111

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
I videoed my 335D in my garage. This is with the driver window open. Gives you an idea about the sound. Gently revving.



I have one under acceleration ... need to upload that.

D.
It's not at all bad, but it's not as lovely as a petrol straight six.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #87
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK


Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Dave 3 - thanks for that, sounds good enough to me.

Perhaps it would be different if I was getting a convertible, but I don't often drive with windows down so I don't think I'd be listening out much anyway. My heart told me 335i but my head, and the wait, told me 335d.
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #88
Dave_3
Colonel
Scotland
41

 
Dave_3's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D sDrive Msport
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CH / SCO


Posts: 2,789
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
It's not at all bad, but it's not as lovely as a petrol straight six.
Granted, I think there is a slight note of extra refinement in the straight 6 petrols. But apart from start up, and some idling, under normal conditions not much in it at all. Going from A to B most passengers won't even notice it is a diesel.

Certainly when you really start to use the rev range the petrol makes all the right sounds, no denying that. But even then, the 335D is surprisingly good, just lacking that traditional high rev howl that sends tingles up your spine

I have a little something tucked away for the petrol "moments" Not a computer in sight ...



silverbmwz3: I really don't think you will be dissappointed. I test drove the 335i and a cracking car it is .... but the 335D is effortlessly surgy and gets fantastic fuel economy into the bargain. I get about 32mpg from almost exclusively short stop start driving in suburbia/town. Nice little bonus

D.
__________________
Escort Mk1 RS2000 (2.1 2x44IDFS, BVH, Kent FR32, 5spd, 180 BHP) : Fully Loaded F32 430D M Sport sDrive : Previously Full-Spec 335D E92 2006 : Capri MK1 full rebuild in progress

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST