E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Handling Problems

01-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #23
Sooperdooperoofer
The older I get, the faster I was

Drives: 320d SE x2 & E21 323i 2door

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandeli View Post
did not get the printout, its on the managers desk, when i will visit the garage again, should be within the next couple of days, i will pick it up. Do you want me to post it?
Just it would be interesting to see how close to the middle of the factory tolerances it now has been set. My bet is that that your thrust angle was way out, total toe also out, camber and steer ahead close or nearly spot on... be worth a look
      01-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
spandeli
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto

Took my car jst now for a quick testing, everything is back to normal i think

As soon as i will have the print out in my hands i will post it. Im pretty sure though that when i had a quick look at it it was way out of many tolerances.

The thing is, how do those guys who did the alighments to my car get licenses to do these things when they have no idea. Its not just the computer and the machine at the end of the day.. The last guy, was recommended to me by BMW, that he is performing tyre changes and the aligmnent checks for them, in his shop, when the dealers KDS is really really busy
spandeli is offline   Cyprus
      01-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandeli View Post
The thing is, how do those guys who did the alighments to my car get licenses to do these things when they have no idea. Its not just the computer and the machine at the end of the day..
There are a lot of so called alignments performed, that make things worse. The next guy then says, "it's way out mate", etc., etc.

A couple of tales, which show even approved garages can get it all wrong.

I had a Passat B5 estate from new, that tracked perfectly, but the rear tyres wore out fast and most strange to the outside. The VW garage checked the rear setup and the axle was out of tolerance. VW authorised a new beam axle. Was all set up to factory tolerance, the car wouldn't even go in a straight line. VW took the car to a dealer with the Beissbarth rig and the VW area technical guy came up to supervise the algnment himself, he drove the car and passed it off as OK. The car had the steering wheel out of line and the car pulled to the left. So much for VW on their "approved rig" and two experienced guys making the adjustments.

Even looking at the car, I could see the rear axle was not square to the body, a quick play with a credit card, some string lines and a simple laser level showed the figures on the printout meant absolutely nothing. The rear axle was clearly out of line.

In the end I had to get the local VW garage with VW's approval to tweak the rear until the car tracked straight.

I was in a tyre shop one afternoon, for new tyres, and a guy with a Volvo comes back into the place after a test drive, 'cheering', as they had just sorted his Volvo, was now driving straight. Turns out he had been to the Volvo dealer twice, with this alignment fault. Both times he had been assured it was 'in tolerance' after they had adjusted the car.

Asked the guy who had just aligned the car, what was out. Rear axle, 'thrustline' clearly not tight enough on tolerance, to allow the car to track straight.

HighlandPete
      01-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
Sooperdooperoofer
The older I get, the faster I was

Drives: 320d SE x2 & E21 323i 2door

yup.
Near enough is good enough just doesn't cut it anymore. And as HighlandPete says "it's way out mate" is just some tool tryin to make himself look as if he knows whats wrong when he hasn't a clue... all he knows is how to align the front wheels and hope for the best after that