E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS Power Box for X-Drive



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
PJ-328iX
New Member
PJ-328iX's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
BMS Power Box for X-Drive

I am a first time BMW owner, and purchased a 2011 328i X-Drive M-Sport. I, along with several other 328i owner friends of mine have been considering the purchase of a BMS PBX. I would like to pose 2 questions. First, what effects, if any, will the ECU change have on my car due to the AWD. Second, my car is brand new, so i do not want ANYTHING that has the potential of voiding my warranty, as do all my friends. BMS claims to not affect warranty with regular service, however I want a definitive answer from users. Whether the PBX is possible due to my warranty issues or not, I would like some tips( other than BMW performance) on what things are possible under warranty restrictions. From the smallest tweaks, to massive changes, I want any ideas out there. Thanks.

PS- I have no complaints with my car other than iDrive skipping playback mid-song on iPhones, and below average throttle response (compared with 2010 SL550, 2011 GLK 350 AMG Sport, and 2010 E350 sedan Sport).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
SuperAwesome
^K33pNitG@ngSt@^
SuperAwesome's Avatar
Yugoslavia
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

below average throttle response - The power box will fix that for you, but if your want a TRUE tune then use AA or shoot Craven a PM.

You will be fine about the warranty and dont really gotta worry about anything but if your that worried about warranty then dont MOD your car, pretty simple.
__________________
GOT GERMAN?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
PJ-328iX
New Member
PJ-328iX's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I appreciate it! What other upgrades could I do, with minimal warranty impact, I.e. scoops, intake, filter, exhaust, suspension (xdrive) etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
4,830
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (83)

Garage List
PBX will not have any negative effects on your ECU or your xDrive. It is not a true tune that flashes your existing ECU engine parameters - it is simply what they call a 'piggyback tune'.

Basically, it connects to your ECU by wiring in series with certain wires. In use it intercepts certain signals, modifies them, then sends them along.

I have one on my 09 328ix, as do many others on here. If you do a search on 'PBX' you will more than likely come up with way more than you ever wanted to know about it

It does offer somewhat of a performance upgrade, but mostly it improves your throttle response and get's rid of the 'dead' area in your gas pedal.
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
CobraMarty
Lieutenant
CobraMarty's Avatar
13
Rep
504
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

Use air scoops (I like Macht) and the EURO air box and BMW performance exhaust or equivalent. UUC sway bars front and rear. 18 or 19" rims and spacers.
__________________
2007 328xi E92 Coupe // 6 MT-Crimson Red, Black Interior, Brushed Silver Trim//Sport Seats//BMW Perf. SW Alcantara//CF Roof, Front Lip, Trunk Lip Spoilers//18" 197, F-5mm, R-15mm Spacers//Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads//MGP Red Caliper Covers//BMW Alarm System//BMW CF Perf. Strut Brace//LUX H8 v3.0 AE//6k HID Fogs//BMW PE//Macht Schnell Intake Scoops//BMW EURO Intake//AA Tune//188AWHP-->196AWHP-->216AWHP//SOON- 3 Stage Intake Manifold!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
SuperAwesome
^K33pNitG@ngSt@^
SuperAwesome's Avatar
Yugoslavia
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Use air scoops (I like Macht) and the EURO air box and BMW performance exhaust or equivalent. UUC sway bars front and rear. 18 or 19" rims and spacers.
That is a no no... Buy coilovers FIRST then if needed swaybars
__________________
GOT GERMAN?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
PJ-328iX
New Member
PJ-328iX's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Can someone explain what the EURO airbox is, and what it will do. Also, will the air scoops have any effect on the warranty or service?

What are the best websites to find these things? What kind of a difference will I see?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
480
Rep
15,057
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

The PBX will give you about a 10rwhp/rwtq boost and completely remap the throttle eliminating the throttle lag. You can customize the throttle settings as well.

We've had a lot of happy customers, and it does come with a 14-day money back guarantee so can't hurt to try it.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
SuperAwesome
^K33pNitG@ngSt@^
SuperAwesome's Avatar
Yugoslavia
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The PBX will give you about a 10rwhp/rwtq boost and completely remap the throttle eliminating the throttle lag. You can customize the throttle settings as well.

We've had a lot of happy customers, and it does come with a 14-day money back guarantee so can't hurt to try it.

Mike

Do you have a dyno graph for this? and list of mods as well on the car that was dynoed ..
__________________
GOT GERMAN?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
canook
Private First Class
canook's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435i X-Drive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thornhill

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ-328iX View Post
I am a first time BMW owner, and purchased a 2011 328i X-Drive M-Sport. I, along with several other 328i owner friends of mine have been considering the purchase of a BMS PBX. I would like to pose 2 questions. First, what effects, if any, will the ECU change have on my car due to the AWD. Second, my car is brand new, so i do not want ANYTHING that has the potential of voiding my warranty, as do all my friends. BMS claims to not affect warranty with regular service, however I want a definitive answer from users. Whether the PBX is possible due to my warranty issues or not, I would like some tips( other than BMW performance) on what things are possible under warranty restrictions. From the smallest tweaks, to massive changes, I want any ideas out there. Thanks.

PS- I have no complaints with my car other than iDrive skipping playback mid-song on iPhones, and below average throttle response (compared with 2010 SL550, 2011 GLK 350 AMG Sport, and 2010 E350 sedan Sport).
Just a heads up. While the dealer may not be able to find the pbx by scanning, BMW Canada will be able to see that there was some modification to the vehicle due to the different a/f mixtures that are enabled through the perf maps.
__________________
e92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
4,830
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (83)

Garage List
Even if the PBX is returned to Map 0 (which bypasses PBX and is same as factory settings) before taking the car into the dealer?
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
canook
Private First Class
canook's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435i X-Drive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thornhill

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Even if the PBX is returned to Map 0 (which bypasses PBX and is same as factory settings) before taking the car into the dealer?
Yes. But BMW Canada would only be stepping in if the dealer can't find a solution to the problem with your car. And to top it off, it would have to be an issue directly related to something the pbx alters.
__________________
e92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
PJ-328iX
New Member
PJ-328iX's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i X-Drive M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Does changing the air filter to K&N void airbox warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
k3m0-330i
Major
k3m0-330i's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,369
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Albany Ny

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to k3m0-330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by canook View Post
Yes. But BMW Canada would only be stepping in if the dealer can't find a solution to the problem with your car. And to top it off, it would have to be an issue directly related to something the pbx alters.
dude we live in the US i dont think they will look that farrr.... and the dealer will not see a k&n filter unless reuglar mantiance..
__________________
Current 2008 335xi e92
2007 335i e90 - Sold
2003 E46 M3 Vert. Taig on Black 6spd- Sold
2002 Taig / Red / / / M3 - SOLD
2006 330i e90 - sold
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #15
canook
Private First Class
canook's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435i X-Drive
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thornhill

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3m0-330i View Post
dude we live in the US i dont think they will look that farrr.... and the dealer will not see a k&n filter unless reuglar mantiance..
BMW USA. I mean yes 9.5/10 times it never has to get escalated that far, but you know what I mean.
__________________
e92 328xi
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST