E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Vanos Silenoids

01-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
enron29
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 E90

Vanos Silenoids

Ok, so here is the issue. About a month ago, I got a SES light, and the codes were for the VANOS silenoids. I took it to the dealership, and I'm pretty sure they said they replaced them last time (I have to find the report to double check). Anyway, I got a SES light again shortly after, with the same issue. So I took it to the dealership again today.

Come to find out, they didn't replace them the first time, but cleaned them and swapped the inlet and outlet. Well, I guess the code followed the one that was switched from the inlet to the outlet. So they are now replacing both the silenoids under warranty. But here is the issue.

They recommend to change the oil and filter to make sure there aren't any metallic pieces in the oil when they replaced the silenoids. They already had done this all before the SA called me. Now the SA says I need to pay the $50 CPO deductible, which is fine by me. But I also have to pay for the oil and the filter since it's not a regular oil change period.

Is there any way I can fight this after just paying it to get my car, and get it refunded back. Or is it what it is. Basically I have to pay $76 on top of the $50 for the oil and the filter (no labor).

Please let me know if this is worth fighting. Thanks.
enron29 is offline   United_States
      01-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
micah_675
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i (US Spec)

I would definitely fight that, it sounds very suspicious, we need to change this and oh we want you to let us change the oil. Oh, btw now you have to pay for that oil we wanted to do. I would let them know you are not going to be suggesting for anyone to use or using their services in the future, as a result of poor business practices. Basically they screwed up and now want you to foot the bill for something.
      01-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
enron29
Lieutenant

Do I contact BMW NA for something like this?
      01-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Lagger1
Private First Class

Drives: valvetronic engaged

There is a clause in the CPO warranty that states fluids & incidentals not regulary covered by CPO is covered when replacing a warrantied part, in this case, your solenoids.

Look it up on BMW's site & throw it at the SA. He's probably not even aware...

Quote:
Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission, and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

See how easy that was

Lagger1 is offline   United_States
      01-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
enron29
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
There is a clause in the CPO warranty that states fluids & incidentals not regulary covered by CPO is covered when replacing a warrantied part, in this case, your solenoids.

Look it up on BMW's site & throw it at the SA. He's probably not even aware...

See how easy that was
Thanks Lagger1. I'll take a shot at this.
      01-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
325/528
Second Lieutenant

Drives: pinto

If that does not work, just say that you did not authorize the oil change. End of story. They should have asked first.
      01-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
enron29
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325/528 View Post
If that does not work, just say that you did not authorize the oil change. End of story. They should have asked first.
The problem is that I already paid when I picked up the car yesterday. Needed my car back, and didn't have the time on hand at the moment to make a big stink about it. Just called and left a message with the SA. We'll see if he calls me back soon.
      01-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
enron29
Lieutenant

Ok, so I just got a call back from the SA. He said that he performed the service bulletin for replacing the VANOS Silenoids. In that bulletin for the repair, it doesn't necessarily require the oil change. But he said they did it as a precaution to avoid any other problems. So since the bulletin doesn't necessarily state that it required an oil change, then it wouldn't be covered.

Again, I guess I should have made a bigger deal that I didn't authorize it. But I've already paid as mentioned before. He said he would go back and check the verbage I pointed out to him, but I doubt I will really hear back from him.