E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need help with BC coilover install, rear spring



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 335i 6spd
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atl

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Need help with BC coilover install, rear spring

Trying to install the rear spring on the BC coilover kit on my 07 335.

The question is how does the spring and perch sit in the body. When I try to mount the perch into the upper coil mount it does not fit in the hole. The perch seems too big (size matters :^)

Here are some pics of the whole system, perch and where I would think it mounts.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
    
dinosaur12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Peter@VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Space Gray E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 662
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Peter@VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
Trying to install the rear spring on the BC coilover kit on my 07 335.

The question is how does the spring and perch sit in the body. When I try to mount the perch into the upper coil mount it does not fit in the hole. The perch seems too big (size matters :^)

Here are some pics of the whole system, perch and where I would think it mounts.

Thoughts?
Well it sure does look like the upper mount is too big to fit in the hole

Is that "hole" a removable part? Not sure if its actually the rubber piece or not. Maybe you can pull that part off and try the installation again. Or, try to flip the spring assembly upside down.

I haven't seen or installed BC coilovers in person but I'm familiar with the companies that handle the manufacturing. If you can't pull that piece off, that means someone over there messed up in terms of measuring that lower perch and made it too big. But thats highly unlikely unless you are their #1 (meaning, first) customer. Sometimes the car changes around so much that even though the chassis is the same, there are small adjustments causing hardware incompatibility.

I'm also curious as to why the springs are coiled so close together... doesnt look like it will do anything functional if they are already fully compressed

Peter
__________________
VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email:sales@velocitymotoring.com | URL: www.velocitymotoring.com | VMR Facebook!! | VMR Photoshoots!

VMR Collection >> V701 | V710 | V713 | V715 | V718 | VB3 19x10

Last edited by Peter@VMRWheels; 02-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Peter@VMRWheels is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
chumley
Captain
 
chumley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 711
iTrader: (1)

I think Peter has the right idea. I've seen them installed both with and without the factory perch.

Here's an install picture (not my car) with the top perch removed.
Attached Images
 
__________________


PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, Alufelgen Hyperblacks, LUX V4
chumley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 335i 6spd
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atl

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@VMRWheels View Post
Well it sure does look like the upper mount is too big to fit in the hole

Is that "hole" a removable part? Not sure if its actually the rubber piece or not. Maybe you can pull that part off and try the installation again. Or, try to flip the spring assembly upside down.

I haven't seen or installed BC coilovers in person but I'm familiar with the companies that handle the manufacturing. If you can't pull that piece off, that means someone over there messed up in terms of measuring that lower perch and made it too big. But thats highly unlikely unless you are their #1 (meaning, first) customer. Sometimes the car changes around so much that even though the chassis is the same, there are small adjustments causing hardware incompatibility.

I'm also curious as to why the springs are coiled so close together... doesnt look like it will do anything functional if they are already fully compressed

Peter
The are where I would think the perch would sit does not come off. It is part of the body/frame.

I called BC racing and the sales person was the only one available. He did give it a good try and after some pics emailed we kind of gave up. Will talk to the tech guy in the AM.
dinosaur12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 335i 6spd
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atl

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I think Peter has the right idea. I've seen them installed both with and without the factory perch.

Here's an install picture (not my car) with the top perch removed.
How would you remove the top perch?
dinosaur12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Peter@VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Space Gray E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 662
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Peter@VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
The are where I would think the perch would sit does not come off. It is part of the body/frame.

I called BC racing and the sales person was the only one available. He did give it a good try and after some pics emailed we kind of gave up. Will talk to the tech guy in the AM.
Those pictures should help... but as I said, chassis is the same from year to year but little parts here and there change... Whatever the case, hope you get the issue sorted out sooner than later
__________________
VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email:sales@velocitymotoring.com | URL: www.velocitymotoring.com | VMR Facebook!! | VMR Photoshoots!

VMR Collection >> V701 | V710 | V713 | V715 | V718 | VB3 19x10
Peter@VMRWheels is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
chumley
Captain
 
chumley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 711
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
How would you remove the top perch?
I've done springs but not height adjustable so I'm not 100% sure. Expecting my coilovers sometime next week but I have done alot of research.

Here's another photo from a different install that shows the perch. I would guess that it's just friction fit.
Attached Images
 
__________________


PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, Alufelgen Hyperblacks, LUX V4
chumley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 335i 6spd
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atl

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
I've done springs but not height adjustable so I'm not 100% sure. Expecting my coilovers sometime next week but I have done alot of research.

Here's another photo from a different install that shows the perch. I would guess that it's just friction fit.
Thanks a bunch, will give this a go in a bit. Do you have the link where it talks about the rest of the install?

I was also looking at this image and I am unable to see that cup (what ever its called). Was trying to find some images of the back frame to see if it would show it as a part that was replaceable.
dinosaur12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
 
Drives: SBM E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Peoria, AZ

Posts: 715
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to 335iaz
The cup does come out, my popped out when I was putting my new springs in ..
__________________
335iaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
chumley
Captain
 
chumley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 711
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
Thanks a bunch, will give this a go in a bit. Do you have the link where it talks about the rest of the install?

I was also looking at this image and I am unable to see that cup (what ever its called). Was trying to find some images of the back frame to see if it would show it as a part that was replaceable.
Here's a couple general ones. I think the second one has the pict I posted.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ast+4100

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=sway
__________________


PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, Alufelgen Hyperblacks, LUX V4
chumley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
dinosaur12
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 335i 6spd
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atl

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Here's a couple general ones. I think the second one has the pict I posted.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=ast+4100

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=sway
That did the trick. Both rear springs are in. Not to hard once you understand how it seats in there.
Big thanks, I was hitting a wall with that install.

Thanks again.
dinosaur12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,388
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur12 View Post
That did the trick. Both rear springs are in. Not to hard once you understand how it seats in there.
Big thanks, I was hitting a wall with that install.

Thanks again.
Hate to bump up a ancient thread, but ran into this to...is it a friction fit or do you have to do something speacial to make it seat in the hole...don't see this happening? Anyone else have a answer to this??

Should the perch be removed or left in?
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
cleex024
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 1,408
iTrader: (2)

depends...mine worked with it in and out but all you do it just tap on the perch and it just falls off.

if it doesnt fit with the perch on then just take it off
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
cleex024 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,388
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
depends...mine worked with it in and out but all you do it just tap on the perch and it just falls off.

if it doesnt fit with the perch on then just take it off
So yours fit in there?...mine sure didnt LOL!! Guess I will remove it. I was curious if you used this on the bottom....some did some didnt....the stock OEM is trashed so I figured I would use it.
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
cleex024
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 1,408
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
So yours fit in there?...mine sure didnt LOL!! Guess I will remove it. I was curious if you used this on the bottom....some did some didnt....the stock OEM is trashed so I figured I would use it.
it depends on the springs you have...some should and some shouldnt lol. but for most linear springs you do not use them because they dont fit...but if its for say eibach pro kit then you do use them.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
cleex024 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,388
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
it depends on the springs you have...some should and some shouldnt lol. but for most linear springs you do not use them because they dont fit...but if its for say eibach pro kit then you do use them.
The bottom part fit in there and the pearch I just removed.....so if you do not use the bottom part does the spring just sit in there?....because the OEM piece didnt really fit LOL!!

I can do a turbo install with no questions, but have several on a spring install
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
cleex024
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 1,408
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
The bottom part fit in there and the pearch I just removed.....so if you do not use the bottom part does the spring just sit in there?....because the OEM piece didnt really fit LOL!!

I can do a turbo install with no questions, but have several on a spring install
lol...well you come here and ill do your springs for you while you do my turbos =).

but to answer your question yes it just sits there metal on metal...i felt a little iffy about the whole thing too but its ok
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
cleex024 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,388
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
lol...well you come here and ill do your springs for you while you do my turbos =).

but to answer your question yes it just sits there metal on metal...i felt a little iffy about the whole thing too but its ok
So I can use the disk if it fits....seemed to fit LOL!!!

Love doing turbo installs, lets meet 1/2 way!!
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST