E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Getting back in shape



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #23
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Honestly all of the people talking about "lifting" in this thread should check out this site - Crossfit kicks ass and takes names.... I used to do the splits and heavy lifting days - and this just puts all other workouts to shame. Best shape of my life - bar none.

www.crossfit.com

Follow the mainsite workouts for a month and see how you feel. Then compare your times once you've finished to the times posted by the other athletes.... it's a good time and good fun.
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
Honestly all of the people talking about "lifting" in this thread should check out this site - Crossfit kicks ass and takes names.... I used to do the splits and heavy lifting days - and this just puts all other workouts to shame. Best shape of my life - bar none.

www.crossfit.com

Follow the mainsite workouts for a month and see how you feel. Then compare your times once you've finished to the times posted by the other athletes.... it's a good time and good fun.
so what is this like a P90x program type of thing?

I did read some... this seemed to be helpful to look at.
Quote:
What Foods Should I Avoid?
Excessive consumption of high-glycemic carbohydrates is the primary culprit in nutritionally caused health problems. High glycemic carbohydrates are those that raise blood sugar too rapidly. They include rice, bread, candy, potato, sweets, sodas, and most processed carbohydrates. Processing can include bleaching, baking, grinding, and refining. Processing of carbohydrates greatly increases their glycemic index, a measure of their propensity to elevate blood sugar.

What is the Problem with High-Glycemic Carbohydrates?
The problem with high-glycemic carbohydrates is that they give an inordinate insulin response. Insulin is an essential hormone for life, yet acute, chronic elevation of insulin leads to hyperinsulinism, which has been positively linked to obesity, elevated cholesterol levels, blood pressure, mood dysfunction and a Pandora's box of disease and disability. Research "hyperinsulinism" on the Internet. There's a gold mine of information pertinent to your health available there. The CrossFit prescription is a low-glycemic diet and consequently severely blunts the insulin response.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #25
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
so what is this like a P90x program type of thing?

I did read some... this seemed to be helpful to look at.
P90X is basically a half-assed version of crossfit but yes as it does emulate crossfit you can draw some parallels. The reading you were looking at is exactly it- think paleo diet = paleolithic or caveman diet. Lots of fruits, vegetables, and meats and no grain carbs basically. I eat shitloads of food and can't put on fat if I try just muscle it's really a great program to be on however it's not for everyone and i respect other modes of working out too... as long as the world starts getting health under control I'm happy!
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #26
ben14142001
Captain
 
Drives: 08 135
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 670
iTrader: (1)

^Crossfit is the shit.
ben14142001 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #27
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
P90X is basically a half-assed version of crossfit but yes as it does emulate crossfit you can draw some parallels. The reading you were looking at is exactly it- think paleo diet = paleolithic or caveman diet. Lots of fruits, vegetables, and meats and no grain carbs basically. I eat shitloads of food and can't put on fat if I try just muscle it's really a great program to be on however it's not for everyone and i respect other modes of working out too... as long as the world starts getting health under control I'm happy!
thats a pretty extreme diet for me though, I'm so carb happy (which is why I probably don't lose much weight). I'm gonna try to just cut back really hard on the breads and such, morning bowl of capt'n crunch is here to stay though and probably 2 slices of whole grain bread for a lunch sandwich.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #28
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
thats a pretty extreme diet for me though, I'm so carb happy (which is why I probably don't lose much weight). I'm gonna try to just cut back really hard on the breads and such, morning bowl of capt'n crunch is here to stay though and probably 2 slices of whole grain bread for a lunch sandwich.
Hey to each their own. I can't cut it all out COMPLETELY (hell dairy isn't "strict paleo" but GOMAD is a big compliment to it) however honestly once you get through 3-5 weeks of eating strict paleo you feel AMAZING. The idea behind it is to force your body to begin burning fats instead of carbs for energy. For the first month or so, performance decreases as your body adjusts to the new energy source (hit fat & protein with low grain-based carbs). After your body adjusts to high fat diet you literally can't keep fat on your body because instead of carbs you burn fat immidiately for energy. Plus I can say personally - clean eating is amazing! You feel better and perform amazingly! Plus you can eat much more for your body.

My biggest challenge is regarding food as fuel not a pleasurable experience.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
^Crossfit is the shit.
X2
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #29
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 510
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via Yahoo to mylydiamy
I think many people focus too much on how much weight they can lift instead of focusing on getting in shape. I see a lot people bench pressing 350+ lbs but look completely out of shape (big belly). Also most of those who list heavy weight can not do pull ups more than 10. I am 5-11, 180 and 42 years old. I use ~200 lbs for bench press which is not a lot but can easily do 25 pull ups, or 70 push ups once warm up.

I guess people have different goals.
mylydiamy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #30
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
yeah i hear ya... gonna be tough on both accounts (losing performance and not eating for pleasure.

Guess I'll give it 3-4 weeks of everything w/o ditching the cereal or dairy in moderation, and see what happens.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #31
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
yeah i hear ya... gonna be tough on both accounts (losing performance and not eating for pleasure.

Guess I'll give it 3-4 weeks of everything w/o ditching the cereal or dairy in moderation, and see what happens.
To be clear the performance will increase and surpass carb based energy once your body adjusts.

I tried to think about it less- think of food as fuel and just blindly follow. Once results begin to make themselves apparent you won't be able to stop yourself! Whatever path you chose good luck - fitness regardless of whether it agrees with my views is better than being out of shape!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
I think many people focus too much on how much weight they can lift instead of focusing on getting in shape. I see a lot people bench pressing 350+ lbs but look completely out of shape (big belly). Also most of those who list heavy weight can not do pull ups more than 10. I am 5-11, 180 and 42 years old. I use ~200 lbs for bench press which is not a lot but can easily do 25 pull ups, or 70 push ups once warm up.

I guess people have different goals.
This is what crossfit stresses- fitness and athleticism in a broad range of activities. Crosssfitters HATE bicep curls (aka bro-cep curls) because they aren't functional. If I were you I'd look into crossfit - your goals mesh well with what crossfit preaches just FYI
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #32
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
To be clear the performance will increase and surpass carb based energy once your body adjusts.

I tried to think about it less- think of food as fuel and just blindly follow. Once results begin to make themselves apparent you won't be able to stop yourself! Whatever path you chose good luck - fitness regardless of whether it agrees with my views is better than being out of shape!

yeah I'm gonna give it a go. I'm just someone whos always eaten for pleasure so it's a tough adjustment to go through but I know what I want, which is rock hard abs on my honeymoon in july so time to shed about 20lbs.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #33
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Seth you're doing it backwards

Single = get in awesome shape
Married = nomnomnom
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #34
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Seth you're doing it backwards

Single = get in awesome shape
Married = nomnomnom
naw, I've always liked being in shape, madison made it easy to slowly fall out of. Cheese curds FTW
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #35
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Nothing happier than being 10lbs over weight working out and eating / drinking whatever I want. Problem is I'm 25lbs over weight
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
yeah I'm gonna give it a go. I'm just someone whos always eaten for pleasure so it's a tough adjustment to go through but I know what I want, which is rock hard abs on my honeymoon in july so time to shed about 20lbs.
Cool man good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to chat about it - it's a great combination for the two (plus all the information is free unlike P90X ie)workouts on crossfit.com daily and paleo info there for free too). Just one warning - watch your fat intake with nuts and stuff... I can never stick to the servings of nuts I always want more!! haha

GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Seth you're doing it backwards

Single = get in awesome shape
Married = nomnomnom
haha so true
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #37
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
Cool man good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to chat about it - it's a great combination for the two (plus all the information is free unlike P90X ie)workouts on crossfit.com daily and paleo info there for free too). Just one warning - watch your fat intake with nuts and stuff... I can never stick to the servings of nuts I always want more!! haha

GOOD LUCK!



haha so true
not a big nut guy anyway so i should be fine. i do enjoy the occasional PB&J though
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #38
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
not a big nut guy anyway so i should be fine. i do enjoy the occasional PB&J though
haha well although jelly is high in sugar (corn syrup n shit) a good way around it is grabbing a spoon full of jam (like legit berries jam not smuckers....) and almond butter. Tastes just as good - kills those cravings for fat and tastes pretty good!
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #39
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
haha well although jelly is high in sugar (corn syrup n shit) a good way around it is grabbing a spoon full of jam (like legit berries jam not smuckers....) and almond butter. Tastes just as good - kills those cravings for fat and tastes pretty good!
i haz the low sugar smuckers - which i know still contains sugar - just about 3/4ths less than normal.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #40
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
man when they say your performance will drop with this diet they really mean it. doing a 4 mile run feels more like 10 miles.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #41
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
man when they say your performance will drop with this diet they really mean it. doing a 4 mile run feels more like 10 miles.
It's one of those things that takes some adjustment on your body's part. The movement from carbohydrates to fats for energy takes about 3-5 weeks depending on how strict you are. Especially if you are doing endurance low intensity cardio like a 4 mile run.

Have you started doing the crossfit WOD's? Try perhaps high intensity interval workouts that are less distance and more intense. For instance here's a good one I like.

"Christine"
3 rounds as fast as possible

500meter row
12 Body Weight Deadlifts
21 20" Box Jumps

Scaling (if you can't do these exercises with perscribed (Rx) weights) scaled to 60-70% of Body weight for Dead lifts and Step ups onto the box instead of Box jumps.

Still keep good form and perform the workout as fast as possible (keep you time and record it).

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General2
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #42
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
yeah i do a lot of the workouts they suggest already along with my distance running. I need to keep at the running stuff cuz I have some 5k and 8k races coming up this spring so I need to be in shape for those at the same time.

I'm being as strict as I can on the carbs other than cereal for breakfast. And the only sugar I'm using is a spoon full on a grapefruit every day - the occasional scoop of low sugar ice cream to add to my protein shakes so they don't taste like... well protein shakes. Everything else has been fruit, veggie, meat/chicken/fish or some dairy like a string cheese or cup of milk with the protein.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #43
The Whale
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
yeah i do a lot of the workouts they suggest already along with my distance running. I need to keep at the running stuff cuz I have some 5k and 8k races coming up this spring so I need to be in shape for those at the same time.

I'm being as strict as I can on the carbs other than cereal for breakfast. And the only sugar I'm using is a spoon full on a grapefruit every day - the occasional scoop of low sugar ice cream to add to my protein shakes so they don't taste like... well protein shakes. Everything else has been fruit, veggie, meat/chicken/fish or some dairy like a string cheese or cup of milk with the protein.
Shit man keep up the good work! Sounds like you're doing great! (don't forget to give you body some breaks though perhaps a 3 on 1 off - 2 on 1 off workout schedule (that's my way)) so you have adequate recovery time!
__________________
The Whale

2008 e92 328i 6MT \\ Matte Black Grills \\ AFE Stage 2 Intake
19" VMR v713 Matte Black
The Whale is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #44
UdubBadger
Banned
 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 24,716
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
Shit man keep up the good work! Sounds like you're doing great! (don't forget to give you body some breaks though perhaps a 3 on 1 off - 2 on 1 off workout schedule (that's my way)) so you have adequate recovery time!
hahaha, I've been doing 6 days of 2 a days (3-5 mile run in AM and 30-40 min moderate lifting/20-30min incline walking or 2hrs of basketball in PM) and 1 day off.

My legs feel like jello but I know I gotta keep it up.
UdubBadger is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST