E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Strange sound issue

12-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
zzetter

Drives: Silver E90

Strange sound issue

Hey guys. I'm having an issue with my sound not being audible when I start the car, regardless of how high I turn up the volume, or turn the radio on and off. Basically, i'll start the car, the radio will show it's playing but it's completely silent. After I drive for 5-10 mins it kicks in and you can then hear the sound. It does not happen everytime I start my car. This has probably happened 4-5 times in the last 3 weeks, but it's really strange. Each time it happened, the sound eventually came on, but I'm curious to find out what is causing this. I have an OEM Bose system in my vehicle. I also have bluetooth enabled, but my phone was completely dead last night when it happened so I don't think that's it.
      02-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
zzetter

Drives: Silver E90

I have some updated information to add. Over the last couple of weeks I noticed that this issue is only present when it's cold. Hence my statement about driving and the sound finally kicking in after 10-15 minutes. On warmer days the sound works as soon as the car is started, so there's no question regarding the temperature problem. I presume that the cable running to the stereo system doesn't make complete contact, and during warmer periods expands enough to make contact and thus delivers the sound. This is a stock system, and I am the only owner of the vehicle. Unfortunately, my warranty ran out a few months ago. Please post your thoughts. I'll take it in for a diagnostic once I have a little extra pocket change.
      02-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
VP Electricity
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E91 XDrive

What you are describing sounds like a bad Logic 7 or HK amp. Similar complaints have been posted in the past on this.

You don't have Bose, or you don't have a BMW, one of the two.

Web site migration complete, still repairing problems. Sorry!
VP Electricity is offline   United_States