E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > First time ever upgrading audio, need your advice/assistance

02-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Mobis8
Registered
Rep

Drives: E90 328I

First time ever upgrading audio, need your advice/assistance

Hello Forum - I recently purchased a 2007 E90 with idrive/nav/HiFi and am looking to upgrade the sound as soon as possible.

My budget is around $1200 US and I mainly listen to guitar heavy rock.

I understand from reading the posts it is common to upgrade the factory speakers and under-seat subs with the following:

Front 4": DLS PS 4A
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FcPt7QodLWThIg

Back 4": VIBE Audio SLICK 4 V3
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SLICK4-V3.html

Under-seat subs: earthquake SWS-8 (still confused on which ohm to get but I think it is 2?)

In addition I would like to add a Zenclosure box to my trunk containing two 10 inch subs (yet to be determined set) and add ports through my skipass (also I don't have fold down seats, which I am finding to be a huge pain in the a$$).

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Given the mentioned budget above, would this be the route/speaker selection you would go for my genre of music, and if not what would you change? I am not sure if these are the best speakers in the range that fits the E90, or the best bang for your buck still etc...

2. As you can see I left out the power amp, as this is the part I am most confused about. I understand with my sound package, and with just the speaker upgrade alone I need a 6 channel amp (have read JL audio and BP are most common used for this upgrade). In order to add the additional Zenclosure to the chain does it need its own dedicated power amp, or can I simply get an 8 channel and be done with it? If THAT is the case, do I forfeit the pnp with the stock amp replacement, or require programming to accommodate the additional channels? And if it requires its own amp, where do I get the line level signal from?

Sorry if this is redundant to any other posts, I have tried searching and my brain now hurts so I would rather just ask the experts...

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
ctuna
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365866

Haven't heard of any 8 channel amps except the ms-8 sound processor
but that only has head level power.

If you are getting an aftermarket amp you can match you speakers to it
which would mean 4 ohm would be fine and there are more types available
in that impedence.

Technic has a harness that allows you to install and amp without cutting wires
and you will see from some of his posts he can suggest low cost solutions
for amps and speakers

If you want a complete solution I would contact VP Electricity you can get the link to his shop from his posts . He uses the high quality stuff and his kits have all the little pieces and modification necessary and are known solutions he uses the Technic harness also. He does a lot of these an is
generally regarded as the expert on this system and car audio in general.

He probably can suggest a installer in SF also if you can't self install.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-19-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Appreciate 0