E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Wet amp trouble.

02-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
rcharrette
Private First Class

Drives: e92

Garage List
Wet amp trouble.

Trunk was open when a down pour happened out of the blue. Btw installing a mtech rear. Water went to the amp and radio is out. Could the amp be fried? Will check fuses tomorrow. Can a stereo shop fix this?
      02-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
ergoyo
First Lieutenant

Drives: e70 x5d

There's a thread out there about someone who had the same problem. Tried searching some key words. I think he took it out and put the amp to dry and it was fine! He was shocked to find out it didn't fry.
      02-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
bmw325i
Brigadier General

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

If it did get wet try putting it in rice I know it works with cell phones.
      02-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Drives: 07 328xi

Water will not harm an amplifier. I've repaired many amplifiers and completely held the boards under running water for cleaning. Water only poses a problem to energized circuits. So long as your car was off when the amp was wet and you didn't attempt to turn it on while wet the amplifier should be fine. Make sure it's completely dry before attempting to power it back on.
      05-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!

Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Interesting -- I just had this happen. We received an unusually heavy downpour over a short period of time, and my trunk filled with water. I discovered this when I opened the hatch to put something in the trunk -- I did not start the car or turn on the radio. I immediately began sponging up the mess, and disassembling the trunk.

I removed the amp and dried it out. I then put the amp in a plastic box with a chemical dehumidifier that's used for boats for a couple of days. Then, for good measure, I left it to bake under the sun for a day. Nope, it's completely dead. As are my backup sensors. Which suggests that there was current going to the amp during the downpour.

Looking for the silver lining in this cloud, at least I have the cheaper BMW "Professional" stereo amplifier and not the HK one. But first to find the leak -- and so far I'm baffled. I took it to a high pressure car wash, and I couldn't identify a leak.
2008 E91 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline-six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, Euro split armrest, rear power outlets, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount
      05-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
ctuna
Brigadier General

Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI

http://www.bmwgm5.com/Logic7_6941681.htm