E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Is my car warming up as fast as it should....



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #23
satish_141
Second Lieutenant
14
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: 320D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Cheers for that.

Mine seems to stick at 102c when warmed up, all driving conditions. Will check over summer as I got it in the autumn.

This thread has become rather amusing though.
hi, I know how to check the coolant temp from the hidden menu, but what temp is this 102c that you are referring to, is this the oil temp? in which case could you pls let me know which menu in the hidden menu I could check mine...just curious to see thx.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #24
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
JaySTee's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320d SE
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Devon, UK

iTrader: (0)

Don't think you can check oil temp through the hidden menu, think you would need a diagnostic cable and laptop....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #25
briers
Ben
briers's Avatar
United Kingdom
34
Rep
1,971
Posts

 
Drives: XFR
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midlands,UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_141 View Post
hi, I know how to check the coolant temp from the hidden menu, but what temp is this 102c that you are referring to, is this the oil temp? in which case could you pls let me know which menu in the hidden menu I could check mine...just curious to see thx.
beemerbird has a petrol Audi TTRS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
F104
Captain
Belgium
8
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: E92 320D M-sport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: belgium

iTrader: (0)

320D has no oil temp sensor. I have OBD reader and BT, oil pressure does not show up on 2007 E92 320D
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #27
TMP
Colonel
TMP's Avatar
United Kingdom
60
Rep
2,882
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Does the hidden menu show water temp then and if how do you get to it (iDrive)?

Cheers
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2

Last edited by TMP; 02-22-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #28
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
58
Rep
4,699
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Does the hidden menu show water temp then and if how do you get to it (iDrive)?

Cheers
http://e90.wetpaint.com/page/BC+hidden+menus?t=anon

Once you have sorted the unlock code and calculated your number, I find the best method is press the odometer button then insert the fob... Then keep pressing without hesitation, once you get the XX.__ display. Don't allow it to XX.00 or it can mess the sequence.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #29
E92westy
Lieutenant
E92westy's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
549
Posts

 
Drives: F20 118d Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staffs.

iTrader: (2)

Dropped my car off at the garage last night and got a ‘60’ plate 118d M Sport with 1,700 miles on as a courtesy car.
Reset everything for the commute this morning and accessed the hidden menu.
It took around 11 minutes to reach 80 degrees and then a further 4 to hit 86.
It then varied between 85 to 87 for the rest of the trip, around 50 minutes total.
This is very similar to my car, so probably safe to assume that mine is ‘normal’ in this respect.
What is different is the mpg….
Mines struggled to get 30mpg over the last two weeks and this one did 46.3mpg, both on the OBC.
Now I know an ‘07 E90 320d can’t compare directly to ‘60’ 318d but surely it’s an indicator that something’s not right.
Find out tomorrow, I guess…..
*
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #30
satish_141
Second Lieutenant
14
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: 320D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySTee View Post
Don't think you can check oil temp through the hidden menu, think you would need a diagnostic cable and laptop....
OK, thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #31
TMP
Colonel
TMP's Avatar
United Kingdom
60
Rep
2,882
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
http://e90.wetpaint.com/page/BC+hidden+menus?t=anon

Once you have sorted the unlock code and calculated your number, I find the best method is press the odometer button then insert the fob... Then keep pressing without hesitation, once you get the XX.__ display. Don't allow it to XX.00 or it can mess the sequence.

HighlandPete
Cool! Thanks mate.
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #32
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
JaySTee's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320d SE
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Devon, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92westy View Post
Mines struggled to get 30mpg over the last two weeks and this one did 46.3mpg, both on the OBC.
But then I would expect a new 118d to do better than 46mpg - the wifes 1.9d golf will get 55mpg even with some town driving. Although I guess as it was a courtesy car you were driving it "like you stole it" ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #33
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
58
Rep
4,699
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySTee View Post
But then I would expect a new 118d to do better than 46mpg - the wifes 1.9d golf will get 55mpg even with some town driving. Although I guess as it was a courtesy car you were driving it "like you stole it" ?
Don't compare to the VW 1.9 TDI engine, not sure what variant you have, but the 1.9 design does turn in some of the most outstanding BSFC figures for any diesel engine. The latest 2.0 TDI Common Rail engine is not as good by comparison.

BMW engines are tuned to deliver a different, more linear torque band, more petrol like. For the average driver, means more fuel is used. The VAG engine is a bit peaky, but if you drive them on the wave of torque, they turn in some very impressive mpg figues. I speak from experience, years with the VAG engines.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #34
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
JaySTee's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320d SE
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Devon, UK

iTrader: (0)

I know what you mean. Also the wifes golf TDi is only about 100 and something bhp so not really fair to compare...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST