E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > I am a beginner...please give me a hand..!

02-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i AW

I am a beginner...please give me a hand..!

Hey guys! First of all, if there is any grammar problem, please forgive me English is not my first language. And I did try to surf on many website about track events. But poor me I don't quite understand totally. So, I want to ask for more information or experience from you guys! Thanks!

I just got my 2008 335i few months ago. I want to take it to a track day and have some fun. I want to join some track events for NOT professional racer, I don't want to put a roll bar, take my seat off from my daily car)

I live in Oregon State, and I looked at BMWCCA Oregon chapter, there is no track events coming up. So, should I join another near BMWCCA chapter?

Is there any track open for public in Pudget Sound Region or Portland, OR? (I mean you just pay, and you bring your car in, and have fun there without any club membership?)

Do the track events from BMWCCA require any racing license?

Does anyone has heard about ProFormance Racing School? I am interested in its 1-day performance driving school. It just costs $550 if i bring my own car, so I think it is a good price for a beginner to experience a track day. Is it a good racing school?
http://www.proformanceracingschool.c...rmance-driving

If you guys can tell me more about what I should do step by step, I will be appreciated.

Thank you so much guys!
kelvin2010 is offline   United_States
      02-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
satakal
Major

Drives: e46

Portland?
These guys probably have what you're looking for.
http://www.bmwacaportland.com/conten...-april-25-2011

Their site is kinda cool. I like the FAQ and school rules.
http://www.bmwacaportland.com/hpde

Last edited by satakal; 02-21-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more infor
      02-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
mid-corner fun
Major

Drives: e92

Go to http://motorsportsreg.com

Go to the calendar tab, enter your zip code and the # of miles you're willing to drive and it'll show you all the events available in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin2010 View Post
Hey guys! First of all, if there is any grammar problem, please forgive me English is not my first language. And I did try to surf on many website about track events. But poor me I don't quite understand totally. So, I want to ask for more information or experience from you guys! Thanks!

I just got my 2008 335i few months ago. I want to take it to a track day and have some fun. I want to join some track events for NOT professional racer, I don't want to put a roll bar, take my seat off from my daily car)

I live in Oregon State, and I looked at BMWCCA Oregon chapter, there is no track events coming up. So, should I join another near BMWCCA chapter?

Is there any track open for public in Pudget Sound Region or Portland, OR? (I mean you just pay, and you bring your car in, and have fun there without any club membership?)

Do the track events from BMWCCA require any racing license?

Does anyone has heard about ProFormance Racing School? I am interested in its 1-day performance driving school. It just costs $550 if i bring my own car, so I think it is a good price for a beginner to experience a track day. Is it a good racing school?
http://www.proformanceracingschool.c...rmance-driving

If you guys can tell me more about what I should do step by step, I will be appreciated.

Thank you so much guys!
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
      02-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
Portland?
These guys probably have what you're looking for.
http://www.bmwacaportland.com/conten...-april-25-2011

Their site is kinda cool. I like the FAQ and school rules.
http://www.bmwacaportland.com/hpde

Thank you so much! This website is good!
But is this BMWACA a different club with BMWCCA?
Do you go to PIR??
      02-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Go to http://motorsportsreg.com

Go to the calendar tab, enter your zip code and the # of miles you're willing to drive and it'll show you all the events available in your area.

Thank you! Do all of this events open for anyone? Or only open to BMWCCA members??
      02-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

By the way, do all you guys join the BMWCCA??
      02-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
skiernan36
stick to your guns

Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

BMWCCA is a great resource. they offer driver education schools, which means you drive the track with an instructor with you, and have classroom time. it's a lot of fun and unlike adding a tune with an extra 100hp, it will make you better driver
      02-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiernan36 View Post
BMWCCA is a great resource. they offer driver education schools, which means you drive the track with an instructor with you, and have classroom time. it's a lot of fun and unlike adding a tune with an extra 100hp, it will make you better driver

For the Oregon chapter, there is no any track event coming up..
So, this makes me still thinking if I should join the BMWCCA, or I should join another chapter near my location, like Pudget Sound Chapter???
Thank you!
      02-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
skiernan36
stick to your guns

Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

each chapter should have a website you can go to and look up the schedule of events. i would do that and see which one has more events you want to go to and join that one.
      02-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
aisthetes
First Lieutenant

Drives: 997.1 Carrera S

You only need to join one CCA chapter to get access to all CCA events, so don't worry too much about which chapter to join. It's tied into your nearest zip code to assign you automatically, or you can elect to choose you own. For instance, I'm part of the L.A. chapter but actively race in both L.A. and San Diego events. There are no restrictions on taking part in any CCA events, so long as you're a CCA member. You don't need any special licensing to race, just bring a helmet (or rent one). The track days and autocross events the CCA puts on are perfect for your goals.
      02-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
satakal
Major

Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin2010 View Post
Thank you so much! This website is good!
But is this BMWACA a different club with BMWCCA?
Do you go to PIR??
Never been to the Pacific north west. I hear the weather is terrible.

You've been given lots of good information from lots of guys. There comes a point where you just need to talk with someone who knows specifics. All your questions can be answered by this guy:

Greg Meythaler
gmeythaler@bmwacaportland.com
Chief Driving Instructor
Portland BMW Club

or this guy from the Puget Sound chapter:

Quote:
Get ready for the return of the driving schools in 2011. As you can see, we have four track dates: April 28, a Thursday; June 10, August 12, and September 9th. The last three dates will take place on Fridays. I am glad to see three Fridays and those three dates should be warm ones! I like it!
Because of the slow economy, Jason, the owner of Pacific Raceway (PR), has helped out this year by lowering the price of the track rental. With lower track fees and Friday schedules, I hope we will see more students at the 2011 track events. This year’s price for the HPDS will be $195.00 and the CCC will be $95.00. (Lunch will be included). For additional information go to the club’s web site: www.bmwpugetsound.com and pick "driving schools".
Registration and payment will be through www.motorsportreg.com.
For more information, contact Rick Gulstrom, Track Event Coordinator, at rick@gmsarch.com

Last edited by satakal; 02-22-2011 at 10:57 AM.
      02-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

Thank you all of you guys!! You guys gave me lots of helpful information!
      02-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisthetes View Post
You only need to join one CCA chapter to get access to all CCA events, so don't worry too much about which chapter to join. It's tied into your nearest zip code to assign you automatically, or you can elect to choose you own. For instance, I'm part of the L.A. chapter but actively race in both L.A. and San Diego events. There are no restrictions on taking part in any CCA events, so long as you're a CCA member. You don't need any special licensing to race, just bring a helmet (or rent one). The track days and autocross events the CCA puts on are perfect for your goals.

Oh..thanks! You helped me save for $15.
I was gonna purchase dual chapter membership.
Thank you so much!