E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Super Charged!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
KadeSdad
Colonel
112

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Super Charged!

Got my car back from Chris Neils on Saturday after having a Lotus super charger fitted. Upped the BHP to 220 from 190 and increased torque throughout the range.

Already a very noticeable difference. 2nd to 3rd to 4th is just awesome with what feels like zero power loss. I don’t seem to be ‘as busy’ driving the car due to the increased torque, now whether that’s a bad thing or not I’ll have to wait and see. Been out on a drying road today and it is simply sublime. Lotus bods are right, the super charger certainly does change the car and makes a real difference!

I have not owned many cars where the scale of power to weight ratio is so un-nerving yet so addictive. It is blisteringly quick, 0 – 60 is now 4.4 and on to 100 under 11.4 (edited) This car now makes you realise that maybe you aren’t the driver you thought you were. It’s going back to basics now with me learning the car, not the car learning how I drive ironing over all the bad points and collecting everything up for you.

My M3 was quick but that was like being on auto pilot , all safe a comfy, this feels like you are in total control, its do or die (here’s not hoping for the later!)

Looking forward to summer!


Last edited by KadeSdad; 02-22-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
136

 
M3-FAST's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK


Posts: 5,791
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Sounds great fun marcus - get yourself booked into Donington Park - 13th march with Focused Events - we have got the Scooby there that day. Would love to have a passenger lap in the go-kart tho
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
786

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Glad you got it done, great to see someone doing such a great mod to a great car, What does she weigh? I thought more HP would be accessible than 30HP?!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
KadeSdad
Colonel
112

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Sounds great fun marcus - get yourself booked into Donington Park - 13th march with Focused Events - we have got the Scooby there that day. Would love to have a passenger lap in the go-kart tho
Not just yet mate, having some proper Lotus training next month so give me a few weeks of that and then you're on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Glad you got it done, great to see someone doing such a great mod to a great car, What does she weigh? I thought more HP would be accessible than 30HP?!
Cheers Carl, I know it doesn't seem a lot 30BHP does it. But it does make a HUGE difference to the car. The power is always on tap, its like its left open on full. Car weighs in around 860kg, feels extremely light when pushing anything over 90/100, very un-nerving.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
786

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I bet mate, also rather impressed it can crack under 10 to the ton. Assume that son a perfect day with a great driver and proper warmed up decent rubber. Any links to that?

I would have guessed more along low 11's!! Thats just a guess.
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
335diesel
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
99

 
335diesel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall


Posts: 4,009
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Bet that's fun?!
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
KadeSdad
Colonel
112

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I bet mate, also rather impressed it can crack under 10 to the ton. Assume that son a perfect day with a great driver and proper warmed up decent rubber. Any links to that?

I would have guessed more along low 11's!! Thats just a guess.
Your guess is right Carl, just checked it out and the 4.3 - 4.4 to 60mph is correct. The sub 10 is achieved by the Katana super chargers, mine being the official Lotus kit is showing at about 11.3. I would have opted for the Katana kit but it would have rendered my warranty as useless. At least the official kit keeps my warranty intact.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
786

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Yeah I thought it would be around what I said. Seem to have a knack for it. Low 11's is still ballistic though really. Must feel super fast!! What's next on the list for the lil' elise?!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
54

 
briers's Avatar
 
Drives: XFR
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midlands,UK


Posts: 1,971
iTrader: (0)

Really transforms the lower end doesn't it. Was my only complaint on the standard engines. Love the whine but make sure you feed it no less than 97. I believe the ecus used to go into protect mode on anything less. Not sure if this is still the case.

It certainly turned a few heads, hearing the whine then at 5k it just went mental as it hit the power cam.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
JLR1969
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
80

 
JLR1969's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford GT Lawn Tractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Somerset


Posts: 3,397
iTrader: (1)

I am sure that its a superb car to drive but +30BHP from a supercharger is terrible IMHO.

There must be more power that the supercharger can release??

If you supercharge the SLK it increases by +180BHP, i appreciate its a 5.4 litre so would have thought that you should see +70BHP?

I guess the cost has an impact its 12,000 for the SLK.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
KadeSdad
Colonel
112

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Yeah I thought it would be around what I said. Seem to have a knack for it. Low 11's is still ballistic though really. Must feel super fast!! What's next on the list for the lil' elise?!
Brakes! need better brakes! Apart from that not much really, but tomorrow is another day stage 2 exhaust maybe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Really transforms the lower end doesn't it. Was my only complaint on the standard engines. Love the whine but make sure you feed it no less than 97. I believe the ecus used to go into protect mode on anything less. Not sure if this is still the case.

It certainly turned a few heads, hearing the whine then at 5k it just went mental as it hit the power cam.
That whine is great isn't it, combined with the popping over run on the exhaust they certainly know you are coming!


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I am sure that its a superb car to drive but +30BHP from a supercharger is terrible IMHO.

There must be more power that the supercharger can release??

If you supercharge the SLK it increases by +180BHP, i appreciate its a 5.4 litre so would have thought that you should see +70BHP?

I guess the cost has an impact its 12,000 for the SLK.
I understand what you are saying. its just not about the BHP increase on these cars. Its more of the instant on tap power delivery and the increase in low end torque, remember my car weighs in at around 860kg, power to weight is ratio is what its all about. The Elise nor any other Lotus was ever about top end speed.
The Katana chargers can produce upwards of 300bhp but you'll need lots of extras like oil coolers, up rated rad, brakes etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
152

 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire


Posts: 4,630
iTrader: (2)

Very nice. I suspect the 'bang for buck' is the hardest part of going for the Lotus Charger as opposed to others (warranty aside) but in the end, if you can separate head and heart and just enjoy, why worry?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
786

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I see what it is, drive in drive out conversion and does what it says on the tin!

Not designed for massive power but to provide more punch and instant torque throughout the rev range!

Jon 300HP can easily be found but takes major work for major WONGA
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
JLR1969
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
80

 
JLR1969's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford GT Lawn Tractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Somerset


Posts: 3,397
iTrader: (1)

Wasn't having a go just thought a supercharger would give a bit more power. Can't fault you for having it fitted, did your insurance increase by much?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:11 AM   #15
spandeli
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
11

 
spandeli's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cyprus


Posts: 370
iTrader: (0)

Great toy mate!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #16
KadeSdad
Colonel
112

 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK


Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Very nice. I suspect the 'bang for buck' is the hardest part of going for the Lotus Charger as opposed to others (warranty aside) but in the end, if you can separate head and heart and just enjoy, why worry?

Matt
Matt, correct as usual (well most of the time anyway ). The warranty issue was the counter factor in choosing this charger. The Katana's & Rotex ones can produce some amazing gains but they can also come with massive costs and massive headaches. Plus any aftermarket charger will kill the re sale on these, but better it be an official Lotus one at least I'll have a better chance when it does come to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Wasn't having a go just thought a supercharger would give a bit more power. Can't fault you for having it fitted, did your insurance increase by much?
No worries. I know you weren't having a go

My insurance is actually cheaper now as my previous insurer wouldn't insure the car with the SC so moved to Henderson Taylor. 100 cheaper plus 6 free track day covers
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST