E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 6FL (USB / IPod Integration) in the U.K.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #67
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
1
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North West, UK

iTrader: (0)

I totally agree with what you are saying, I definately think it should be included and there are several people that have got it without paying for it. I'm not sure if this is due to it being new and the dealers are un prepared.
When I spoke to my dealer, I quietly explained that they needed to order one for it, as BMW factory were not supplying them although they are part of the option. They have gone along with it so far, and have it in stock, so lets see.

Interestingly it is supplied in the US (Although I think a few people have also had to pay for it), however in Canada it isn't. This however is reflected in the price. I think (And dont quote me) its a $400 option in US, and $350 option in Canada.

If you were to play the currency game at $2 to £1 then its a $400(£205) option in the UK,hence the cable comes in! However there is absolutely no mention of Ipod or a cable being needed for it anywhere in the latest price list? All the way its labelled as a USB interface!

Either way the setup is still awesome and I'm having an Ipod cable, by hook or by crook (Ie paying for it )
__________________
Regs
Trigger

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #68
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger2007 View Post
Either way the setup is still awesome and I'm having an Ipod cable, by hook or by crook (Ie paying for it )
I agree .. it looks like it's finally a decent set up. If it could be retro'd I'd go for it and I'd pay for the cable if necessary.

I'd argue first though
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #69
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23
Rep
2,021
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The 6fl does not function with an ipod without the cable ... therefore the cable should be included.
Unless of course it ISN'T sold as an Ipod interface, just a USB interface. I'm not arguing against you, just playing devil's advocate with what I expect the dealer to come back with....I'll let you knowhow I get on!

It is a bit like saying the phone option should come with a cradle - which phone would it come for ? Same here...which MP3 player interface cable should the generic USB interface come with
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #70
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
1
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North West, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I agree .. it looks like it's finally a decent set up. If it could be retro'd I'd go for it and I'd pay for the cable if necessary.

I'd argue first though
Hell Yes, I will argue!!

At the end of the day the BMW has the upper hand. The car is on order with the USB adaptor, I have an ipod, to get the best I need the cable. They know if I can afford the car, then I can shell the extra for the ipod interface!

We can argue all we like, but it will still happen!

It does provoke great discussion though!
__________________
Regs
Trigger

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #71
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Unless of course it ISN'T sold as an Ipod interface, just a USB interface. I'm not arguing against you, just playing devil's advocate with what I expect the dealer to come back with....I'll let you knowhow I get on!

It is a bit like saying the phone option should come with a cradle - which phone would it come for ? Same here...which MP3 player interface cable should the generic USB interface come with
You nearly had me for a moment

But ....

The 6fl is sold as a USB interface for the connection of mp3 devices INCLUDING IPODS.

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/7241

BMW already offer a specific IPOD interface, but this one is supposed to work with all MP3 players / usb memory sticks.

Furthemore it should be able to navigate the file structure and provide album, artist and playlist support.

With an ipod it will ONLY do this if you have the special BMW cable.

In the USA:

A supplied special cable connects the dock connector on the iPod to both the AUX-IN and the USB ports

In the UK the dealers position seems to be to sell an ipod compatible USB connection which is NOT ipod compatible (at least in the manner claimed) - unless you pay them another £40 for a cable. That is miss-selling.

The phone kit comparison is NOT a good one.

The 'option' you take for the phone kit is for the 'bluetooth connectivity'. This works with or without the cradle.

The option includes the cradle base which allows certain phones to be connected to an external aeriel and power supply - with an optional adapter.

Clearly a phone cradle HAS to be product specific - so it would not be sensible as a standard. It's not essential to the functionallity of the 'option' and that's made fairly clear by BMW.

The USB connection on the other hand does not seem to work 'as described' with an ipod without this cable.

It seems to me that selling the USB connection without the cable is more like selling the nav disc without postcode search - but telling people that postcode search is supported when they place their order.

The key difference with triggers position is that his dealer has properly explained the way in which the ipod will connect - so he could make his own decision.

Anyone who specified the 6fl because their dealer told them it would work 'out of the box' as an ipod connection should be given the cable for free, because they have been misled.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 05:03 AM   #72
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
9
Rep
686
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Epsom UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
This thread and others makes me glad I don't have an Ipod .

BTW what is an Ipod?

Regards

Chris
__________________
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #73
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
This thread and others makes me glad I don't have an Ipod .

BTW what is an Ipod?

Regards

Chris
Chris - you have to get an ipod - life is not complete without one.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #74
330cdsport
Right Responsible
330cdsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
29
Rep
1,640
Posts

 
Drives: AW F21 M135i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N. Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Does anyone know if you can still play MP3 cd-roms in the cd player in the E90/E91/E92?? I used this feature in my E46 to great effect!
10 MP3 albums on one cd-rom makes for a great jukebox.
__________________
Last: 330cd Sport - Silver Grey, 335d M Sport Coupe, F10 535d M Sport.
Current: AW F21 M135i, Coral Red, Pro Nav, Vis, HK, & Clunky Adaptive Suspension
Current: X5 XDrive 35d M Sport - Black Sapphire, lots of toys.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #75
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Does anyone know if you can still play MP3 cd-roms in the cd player in the E90/E91/E92?? I used this feature in my E46 to great effect!
10 MP3 albums on one cd-rom makes for a great jukebox.
Yep - the head unit plays CDR / CDRW and MP3 formats
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #76
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23
Rep
2,021
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
You nearly had me for a moment

But ....

The 6fl is sold as a USB interface for the connection of mp3 devices INCLUDING IPODS.

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/7241
Don't mean to be picky, but if you are going to keep arguing this - i) That is an american article and ii) The headline clearly states USB option for music players and memory keys i.e. is GENERIC and doesn't state Ipod (which is similar to the wording of the option itself - I checked last night). Your last point is key here - if the dealer didn't mention ipods in selling it then I think we're going to struggle to argue it should be included because the car, from the factory "does what it says on the tin".

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post

BMW already offer a specific IPOD interface, but this one is supposed to work with all MP3 players / usb memory sticks.
Exactly, so this ISN'T an IPOD interface it is generic... you're providing counter arguments there

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post

The phone kit comparison is NOT a good one.
I disagree - it is a great one, the bluetooth has a parallel in the generic connection mechanism of USB and the cradle has a parallel in terms of the cable required. The USB interface will work without the cable (cradle) in the same way the bluetooth will work without the cradle ! There's a danger we can take the analogy too far but I think it's far from not being a good one (if that isn't a double negative).

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Anyone who specified the 6fl because their dealer told them it would work 'out of the box' as an ipod connection should be given the cable for free, because they have been misled.
We agree on this and I think this is the only really strong part of your argument - if you were sold an "Ipod" adaptor then you have a case, otherwise I think by wording it as a USB/Audio interface you don't really.

Who's side am I on anyway...I'm the one who wants the free cable Just playing devil's advocate.
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #77
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Don't mean to be picky, but if you are going to keep arguing this - i) That is an american article and ii) The headline clearly states USB option for music players and memory keys i.e. is GENERIC and doesn't state Ipod (which is similar to the wording of the option itself - I checked last night). Your last point is key here - if the dealer didn't mention ipods in selling it then I think we're going to struggle to argue it should be included because the car, from the factory "does what it says on the tin".

Exactly, so this ISN'T an IPOD interface it is generic... you're providing counter arguments there

I disagree - it is a great one, the bluetooth has a parallel in the generic connection mechanism of USB and the cradle has a parallel in terms of the cable required. The USB interface will work without the cable (cradle) in the same way the bluetooth will work without the cradle ! There's a danger we can take the analogy too far but I think it's far from not being a good one (if that isn't a double negative).

We agree on this and I think this is the only really strong part of your argument - if you were sold an "Ipod" adaptor then you have a case, otherwise I think by wording it as a USB/Audio interface you don't really.

Who's side am I on anyway...I'm the one who wants the free cable Just playing devil's advocate.
I think you are arguing the dealers case far too strongly. In your position if I had to pay for the cable I would do it. However, I do think this is a sneaky and petty minded little trick for a dealer to play.

BMW have designed the USB connection to read mp3's off any compatible storage device. They designed it so that the tag data (artist name etc) can be displayed and the file structure can be navigated using the car's controls.

I can accept that it is a 'generic' connection for USB players. However the worlds most popular USB music player is the Apple Ipod. BMW know this and if there is a compatability issue they have a moral and legal obligation to make this clear.

Otherwise it would be like selling a 'generic' vacuum cleaner attachment for 'all vacuums' which doesn't fit a Dyson or a Hoover.

I have something like 5000 tracks on my ipod. Any interface device that doesn't navigate the file structure is completely pointless. Yes I can play my tracks, but I could do that anyway via the aux in ... and if I use the aux in my albums are not all messed up.

If this device will not browse the ipod file structure, work with DRM music or play ipod tracks from an apple mac without a special cable (which is only commercially available from BMW) then BMW have an absolute duty to explain this at the point of sale.

I don't think this is happening. In fact I would bet that dealers are telling people that they can connect their ipod to this thing and control it through the steering wheel buttons - without mentioning the cable at all!

Going back to the bluetooth phone - my point is that my phone connection is FULLY FUNCTIONAL without the 'optional' cradle. BMW are also careful to explain that the cradle is optional ... (it says this in the brochure in fact - and I bet the ipod cable ISN'T mentioned anywhere in the BMW sales literature).

In contrast - it sounds as though my 5000 track ipod would be totally crippled if I connected it without the BMW cable. Using the phone analogy (for me) it would be like having the phone kit without a working microphone.

I don't mind the cable being an additional cost, but it has to be mentioned at the point of sale. If my dealer had led me to believe that this thing would control my ipod - then subsequently admitted it wouldn't unless I paid him £40 for an extra cable - then he would have a very disgruntled customer on his hands.

So far as I am concerned failing to explain the cable issue is BMW's mistake and I would expect them to pay to put it right.

Most people will just put up with this and pay the £40 though - which is fine - that's how the world works.

What BMW really need to do is put the little box of tricks that it fitted onto the cable into the USB connection itself - so any cable will do the job.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #78
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23
Rep
2,021
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Your phone connection isn't fully functional if you want charging In the same way your Ipod connection isn't fully functional if you want navigation of tracks via the steering wheel. Both require the purchase of an additional accessory.

As I said above, I think we can take the analogy a bit too far.

I fully agree with you that if the dealer intimated it could be used with the ipod, and let's be honest most of them probably do - I know I discussed dropping the CD Changer because I'd be using an Ipod with it, then they should cough up for the cable.

I think the dealers should discuss at the time of ordering (which no doubt when they become more familiar with the option they will) that this really requires a cable if (like most people) you plan to use an Ipod. They can then add it into the order for you or at least advise it will cost at the time of order.

In fact that will be my argument - it was clear at time of order that I would be using it with an Ipod and no mention was made of an additional cable being required. Fingers crossed That's 40 quid towards Zymol to keep it shiny......

Then again, as I think an earlier poster said - in the scale of a £40+k car is it worth a big argument over?
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 08:02 AM   #79
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23
Rep
2,021
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
PS - is there any way to make my ticker go quicker ?
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #80
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Then again, as I think an earlier poster said - in the scale of a 40+k car is it worth a big argument over?
Not really no
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #81
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
1
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North West, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
PS - is there any way to make my ticker go quicker ?
At least you are counting days!!!!!

Great debate guys, keep it going!

PS please let me know if you get the cable for free or have to pay for it!

I would suggest one argument to the dealer, is that they should charge it to your car when they order it! I hear in America they are charging it to the VIN number, and the dealers are getting it free!
__________________
Regs
Trigger

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #82
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Otherwise it would be like selling a 'generic' vacuum cleaner attachment for 'all vacuums' which doesn't fit a Dyson or a Hoover.
I've got all of the necessary attachments for my Hoover and I use all of them.... regularly...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #83
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
I've got all of the necessary attachments for my Hoover and I use all of them.... regularly...
I'm alright with the crevice tool (!), but do you know what the little brush is for ..... I've never been able to figure it out.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #84
booforty
Major General
booforty's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
8,813
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I'm alright with the crevice tool (!), but do you know what the little brush is for ..... I've never been able to figure it out.
I love the crevice tool. Whoever invented that deserves a medal. Its probably one of the greatest inventions ever! Whoever invented crevices does not deserve a medal...

I use the little brush for hoovering surfaces that also have a light layer of dust. The small brush head both brushes and hoovers the dust away... magic! Ideal for hoovering the tops of skirting boards, window sills, fireplaces, top of TV's etc... The brush ensures that you don't scratch the surfaces as the crevice tool would...

I like hoovering I do...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #85
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
I love the crevice tool. Whoever invented that deserves a medal. Its probably one of the greatest inventions ever! Whoever invented crevices does not deserve a medal...

I use the little brush for hoovering surfaces that also have a light layer of dust. The small brush head both brushes and hoovers the dust away... magic! Ideal for hoovering the tops of skirting boards, window sills, fireplaces, top of TV's etc... The brush ensures that you don't scratch the surfaces as the crevice tool would...

I like hoovering I do...
The you are going to love the 'flexible crevice tool':



There is an animation of some crevice cleaning action here:

http://www.dyson.co.uk/range/carkit/...nimation=flexi
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 02:55 AM   #86
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23
Rep
2,021
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Is this all code for something else ?
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #87
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Is this all code for something else ?
What else could a 'crevice tool' be?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 03:12 AM   #88
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23
Rep
2,021
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Oooooh matron.
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
6fl, ipod, usb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST