E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > coffee connoisseurs: what machine do you have?

03-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #45
ellipsis212
I bought my ski mask in Aspen

Drives: MB 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
DO NOT BUY A BREVILLE. Hell, dont buy anything you've ever heard of. $500 isn't very much to get into to the coffee game, as the machine is only as good as your grinder. Superautomatics are garbage.
i wont argue about this, but you can make a damn fine espresso with a $500 machine. more expensive machines can certainly be better but the point of diminishing returns is reached very quickly.

the bottom line is that technique cannot be purchased for a higher price. get to know what you're doing and then you can be the judge of your machine.

i put myself through school as a barista and i cared about doing quality work. i wouldn't recommend a Breville if i didn't believe it was a good tool.
      03-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #46
JayKay335i
Banned

Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
i wont argue about this, but you can make a damn fine espresso with a $500 machine. more expensive machines can certainly be better but the point of diminishing returns is reached very quickly.

the bottom line is that technique cannot be purchased for a higher price. get to know what you're doing and then you can be the judge of your machine.

i put myself through school as a barista and i cared about doing quality work. i wouldn't recommend a Breville if i didn't believe it was a good tool.
I dont suggest the breville because for one, it doesnt have a standard professional portafilter. Their higher end machines have built in grinders and built in tamps? WTF? The grinder will never be good enough to make consistent espresso. You can make great espresso with a $200 machine, but there are only a couple machines on the market that can do so. In the $500 range there are a bunch of machines. Its not that get get diminishing returns as the price increases. Once you reach double boiler machines you have more consistent temperatures. I dont think the wand is good enough or that the machine produces enough pressure to make decent foam, let alone actual microfoam.

I dont recommend a breville because I dont think they are good. Like I said, if you want to spend $500, you buy a Rancillio Silvia, as it is the gold standard at the price range. Not a breville.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
      03-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #47
ellipsis212

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
As sort of an update...

We actually got this one:

Breville BES820XL

We found it on deep clearance at Williams-Sonoma and it has been working great since we got it. We tried the ground Caribou espresso and it was alright. Then we tried a local roaster called Lake Erie Island and its was much smoother, creamier, and better. I'm enjoying the milk frother too.
nice!

once you get the grind dialed in it'll make really consistent shots...no bitterness and distinctly layered.

i would recommend ditching any frothing "enhancer" or whatever they call it and just work on steaming milk with the naked steam wand.

use a trusted thermometer with your milk for the first 10,000 lattes. after that you can go on feel alone.

keep it clean as a new, and descale periodically.
      03-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #48
ellipsis212

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I dont recommend a breville because I dont think they are good. Like I said, if you want to spend $500, you buy a Rancillio Silvia, as it is the gold standard at the price range. Not a breville.
unless you've owned a Breville i don't think there's any point in knocking them. i've probably pulled 80k shots (before auto grinders were available) so i feel like i have a pretty good handle on what a quality product is like and the Breville is great bang for the buck.

microfoam is definitely possible if you steam more than 5oz of non-skim milk and your technique is good.

here's the other thing: OP got this machine on sale at W-S which is the same way i got mine. i think i spent $275 on it, not $500 so that definitely puts it in another price bracket.
      03-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #49
JayKay335i
Banned

Ditch the frother attachment and ditch any sort of stuff in the portafilter. All that should be in there is a basket, no "crema device" or any sort of stuff like that. Google how to heat cycle and learn about the specific machine. I used to get some decent shots off a Saeco Aroma which was POS after I modded it but it still steamed like crap. Heat cycling was the most useful thing I learned.
      03-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #50
JayKay335i
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
unless you've owned a Breville i don't think there's any point in knocking them. i've probably pulled 80k shots (before auto grinders were available) so i feel like i have a pretty good handle on what a quality product is like and the Breville is great bang for the buck.

microfoam is definitely possible if you steam more than 5oz of non-skim milk and your technique is good.

here's the other thing: OP got this machine on sale at W-S which is the same way i got mine. i think i spent $275 on it, not $500 so that definitely puts it in another price bracket.
Not knocking but he will probably get better results of he goes online and checks the forums and sees how others are using it to get the best results. Ditch any nannies. And his next upgrade should probably be a good grinder.