E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil light issue

03-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Bruc3 L33roy
Team Outcast [East Coast Chapt.] || OutCast Garage
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Question Oil light issue

Well I did my "search" on the site already and have not found quite the answer. My dilemma is with the oil light. I Bought the car about 4 months ago with 59K on the odometer. I was told by the seller that an oil change as well as the "software" upgrade was complete prior to me purchasing the car.

About a month into having the car, the oil light indicator comes on, I check the level indicator and its telling me the obvious +1 quart with the marking just inside halfway. Went and purchased a quart and added some hoping it would top off what was needed. Drove the car for a bit and the indicator showed me at MAX.

Now a few weeks later with about 61K on the odometer, the indicator comes back on with it showing +1 quart at MIN marking. Not too sure what the problem is. There are no signs of an oil leak in my driveway, I reset the oil service light as well. My questions are should I get another oil change done even if the seller told me it was completed (just for peace of mind). Just dont wanna waste the money if I dont need to. Is there a problem internally that I dont know? Any help would be appreciated..Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

So you used 1 quart of oil over 2K miles

Is this right? If so - you are using an amount that I would not appreciate but that BMW considers to be within the specifications for that engine (which is less than 1 quart every 1000 miles). I would not be bothered by that consumption if I was driving it like I stole it though.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Bruc3 L33roy
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968tomr View Post
Is this right? If so - you are using an amount that I would not appreciate but that BMW considers to be within the specifications for that engine (which is less than 1 quart every 1000 miles). I would not be bothered by that consumption if I was driving it like I stole it though.

-Tom
Not sure what your trying to get at? I dont "drive it like I stole it", my daily driving consist of to work and home (approx. 30miles both ways) sitting in traffic half the time.

My obvious questions are - Is my car burning oil excessively? Did the seller really NOt do the oil change as he states and its really time for a new one (he was an honest guy and not too sure why he would lie about it). How can I tell the real amount needed without using the electronic dipstick? Heard stories about adding more than required also sets off the indicator.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I am sorry - clarification below....

Quote:

-Tom
What I am saying is that the usage of oil is not related to the previous owner. If he/she changed the oil or not would not impact this issue. BMW states that burning up to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is acceptable and within specifications for your car. You indicated in your post that you burned that amount of 2000 miles - so I would say keep adding oil and don't worry about it.

My last note - about driving it like I stole it - was a way to say that hard driving sometimes burns a bit more than moderate driving.

Good luck with your ownership experience.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Can you contact the original owner? Ask him if he had to top off the oil regularly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Bruc3 L33roy
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
What I am saying is that the usage of oil is not related to the previous owner. If he/she changed the oil or not would not impact this issue. BMW states that burning up to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles is acceptable and within specifications for your car. You indicated in your post that you burned that amount of 2000 miles - so I would say keep adding oil and don't worry about it.

My last note - about driving it like I stole it - was a way to say that hard driving sometimes burns a bit more than moderate driving.

Good luck with your ownership experience.

-Tom
is it safe to keep adding when needed? Worried that maybe if there isnt a leak and its not burning oil that I put TOO much oil. Also when would it be recommended to completely change oil if I continued to top off?
Appreciate 0