E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Running rich

04-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
fndrh1st
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Running rich

Hey all,

Just tripped my check engine light. Ran i through my diagnostics, got the code P0172, which means im running rich. I have Bms power box and AFE CAI. I don't want to deal with blowing an O2 sensor or a cat conv. so should I clean the CAI and play it by ear, or should I just rip the thing out and not bother with it at all?
What do you think?
      04-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Is the CAI oiled?

If so, try cleaning your MAF. With MAF cleaner.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      04-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
overkill1125
Captain

Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

Its because of the AFE Intake. I had the dry version and it kept on throwing me the CEL with the same code.

I changed it back to stock and brought the car to dealer and they did many test and decided to change the MAF. All under warrantee
Kept it stock for 2 weeks and ran with no problems. Then I decided to put the AFE back in and the 3 days later the CEL was on with same code.

I changed it back to stock right away and a few days later the CEL turned off and everything was back to normal again.

Heard and read numerous problems with the AFE CAI. I decided to get the AFE oiled drop in filter and its running great.

No sound compared to the CAI but I get peace of mind!
overkill1125 is offline   Canada
      04-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
TommyK
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to TommyK
I agree the AFE intake does burn more gas and run richer. When i start my car up i can noticeably smell more exhaust fumes when its running versus when i have the stock airbox on. I have never had a CEL light come on and ive been using this intake since 2006 and 65k miles.

Logically this would make sense since the stock airbox does have charcoal filter for emissions control
TommyK is offline   United_States
      04-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@Modprojekt.com View Post
Logically this would make sense since the stock airbox does have charcoal filter for emissions control
Yea but if you cut the charcoal filter out, it doesn't throw the CEL. I've had mine cut out for the past couple years. And it doesn't serve a purpose when the car is on, it prevents harmful gases from escaping when the engine is off. The reason why you smell more exhaust fumes at start up with the aFe is probably because you don't have the charcoal filter. I know that sounds backwards but I've noticed more exhaust fumes at start up after cutting my charcoal filter out. I've never had an intake on my car.

I don't see why this intake would cause a rich mixture. Running rich means too much fuel to air right?

Well if you have an intake supplying more air than the stock air box, than how does the car run rich if it's taking in more air? I understand that the car will adjust the A/F ratio and provide more fuel for the amount of air taken in, but the O2 sensor should lean the mixture out if it is detecting a rich reading, no?

Sounds like the MAF or O2 sensors are giving improper readings.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      04-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
ska///235i
***** noob

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
bms will run rich....when i had bms set at level3, exhaust fume smelled like gas, turn pbx off and now its alot better

now i only use throttle remap on bms
      04-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
fndrh1st
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 328i coupe

My afe is the dry version.
Thanks for the feedback guys, i feel a little better knowing that other people have had similar problems.

I took out my cone last night- it was dirty as hell and had bugs and other things stuck within the slits. I haven't cleaned it since I got it, which was about 5k miles ago. So That must be my problem. I also cleaned my MAF. Put everything back in this morning, the CEL is off, and my car seems to be running very smooth.

Although I'm still skeptic about keeping both the bms and the afe in. overkill1125 mentioned peace of mind and I couldn't agree more. I rather know my engine is safe than have a little bit better sound and a tiny horsepower increase.