E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > engine oil

05-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #23
Frank Ricard

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
^^^ We've already establish that some folks have a reading comprehension problem.
Actually General, I have read the manual, as well as all the literature supplied by you. Which begs the question...

HAVE YOU?
      05-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.

Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenGh View Post
^Yeah I don't mean to be causing controversy but nowhere did I see anything about LL-01 being required.

The only "required" type language is: "Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher."

Which, if i'm not mistaken is a very old standard, and basically most modern oils exceed this standard.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
While that statement is indeed in the OM, (my 2007 says ...API rating of SH or higher...), the statement is taken out of context in your post. The context of that complete paragraph is if you cannot find the approved oil, then you can add small quantities (i.e. "top-off) of other synthetic oils with API of S(x) or higher.

There is a statement that stands alone; is not included as part of a paragraph, and is quite clear: Only use approved BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil.

In the following two separate paragraphs, the owner is told to contact one's BMW Center, or BMW of North America, or visit the website to obtain information/questions of BMW High Performance oils or approved synthetic oils.
      05-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.

Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenGh View Post
I don't know if you're talking about me but I'm not arguing whether its a good idea or not to use LL-01 approved oil.

My question is WHERE does BMW state that using something other than would void your warranty? I'm not even trying to debate the validity, just trying to find out where BMW states this.
The Service and Warranty Information booklet: (page 31 in my booklet)
Quote:
This [New Vehicle Limited Warranty - 2007 Models] warranty does not apply to the following:

{snip}
{snip}
{snip}
Failure to maintain the vehicle properly in accordance with the instructions in the Owner's Manual or the Service section of this Statement, that results in the failure of any part of the vehicle.
{snip}
{snip}
{snip}
BMW will not accept any liability for any parts or accessories not approved by BMW.
{snip}
Bold is BMW's