E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 335 Lsd



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #23
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,764
Posts

 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
I'm trying to sort that out myself. According to HPA, ALL autos are bolted.......True or no? Because I have an AT..........

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Yea, I don't agree with the statement that everyone here "acknowledges" that something tasteless was done. I just wanted some clarification on bolted vs. welded, and even though I was questioning him about that at first, Harold has already been willing to help me with an unrelated issue.
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10

Last edited by cstmx_ryder; 05-08-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #24
Fraggy
Brigadier General
Fraggy's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
3,325
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e90
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (11)

I didnt see any thing tasteless either.
__________________
Step--Premium--Sport--Nav--20% Tint--Blacklines--18" Beyern Mesh--Michelin Super Sports--Bastuck Exhaust--M3 Steering Wheel--BMW Performance Springs--Koni--M3 Front/Rear Sways--
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #25
skinrock
Agent Smith
skinrock's Avatar
46
Rep
2,860
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Fusion AWD
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Matrix

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
I'm trying to sort that out myself. According to HPA, ALL autos are bolted.......True or no? Because I have an AT..........

TIA
No idea, I mean yes - according to HPA they are all bolted. But when I was shopping for one, the 2 or 3 sites I looked at said 3/07-9/07 would require more work and therefore a higher price, and I couldn't justify it. So when I found a full pumpkin for sale here, I jumped on it (turns out it's a smaller pumpkin though, and if I can't upgrade to a longer driveshaft, it won't work).

I'd probably be looking into it more if I didn't have a full pumpkin and other issues to worry about. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #26
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,764
Posts

 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Np.....If anything, I'll just go by HPA's compatibility chart for the LSD. It says ALL AT are bolted, the only difference is the size.........

So if I go by that and end up being wrong, then I'd hold HPA accountable since they're MORE experienced than half the vendors here when it comes to suspension/drivetrain. So the info they provide should be more accurate according to Harold @ HPA.
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #27
skinrock
Agent Smith
skinrock's Avatar
46
Rep
2,860
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Fusion AWD
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Matrix

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Np.....If anything, I'll just go by HPA's compatibility chart for the LSD. It says ALL AT are bolted, the only difference is the size.........

So if I go by that and end up being wrong, then I'd hold HPA accountable since they're MORE experienced than half the vendors here when it comes to suspension/drivetrain. So the info they provide should be more accurate according to Harold @ HPA.
And I can attest to the size difference as that is the exact problem I'm having right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #28
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
2,764
Posts

 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
And I can attest to the size difference as that is the exact problem I'm having right now.
So what are you planning on doing? Sell that and get the right one?
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #29
skinrock
Agent Smith
skinrock's Avatar
46
Rep
2,860
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Fusion AWD
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Matrix

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So what are you planning on doing? Sell that and get the right one?
It looks like I should be able to swap in the longer driveshaft they used to match the smaller pumpkin, but I'm trying to confirm if it will bolt up.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #30
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
My question is:

Where did myself and AMASIAN get the number from? I myself saw it on the forum ages ago. Can't speak for AMASIAN, but I'm almost certain he saw it on here too.......

Maybe those were GB prices, but still, the full retail shouldn't be 50-100% more, no?

Also with the whole AT not having welded pumpkin or whatever.....you're saying the production date doesn't matter? And that they're all bolted, not welded?

Just want some clarification. Not trying to start any thing.

TIA
Please refer to the chart I have posted. Everything you need to know is there.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #31
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
I'm trying to sort that out myself. According to HPA, ALL autos are bolted.......True or no? Because I have an AT..........

TIA
Yes, all autos are bolted, but earlier autos(up to 8/2007) have the large case) and later autos(9/2007 and later) have the smaller case housings.

Does that answer help?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
c4s335i
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I'm still confused as to why someone isn't selling aftermarket ring gears to go along with the differentials they are selling. Me personally, I would love to move to a new diff, but I also want to change the gear ratio. So it makes more sense to sell both, instead of just the diff. I would rather put money towards a new ring gear, than paying someone to machine off the old one I don't care to own in the first place. Since I want to do both, it seems the better option is to move to the M3 diff. A 3.85 gearing ratio would feel amazing on our cars, especially on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #33
tscdennab
Banned
54
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post
I'm still confused as to why someone isn't selling aftermarket ring gears to go along with the differentials they are selling. Me personally, I would love to move to a new diff, but I also want to change the gear ratio. So it makes more sense to sell both, instead of just the diff. I would rather put money towards a new ring gear, than paying someone to machine off the old one I don't care to own in the first place. Since I want to do both, it seems the better option is to move to the M3 diff. A 3.85 gearing ratio would feel amazing on our cars, especially on the track.
DiffsOnline.com sells a 3.08 ring gear and pinion for $900. I don't think it's cost effective.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #34
c4s335i
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
DiffsOnline.com sells a 3.08 ring gear and pinion for $900. I don't think it's cost effective.
The labor for the machining out the old ring gear is roughly 700, so it's not that much more. The problem I still have is that the 3.08 is still the stock gearing.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #35
sukutash
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
1
Rep
113
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga

iTrader: (4)

Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
$4600 will get you a DCT or Diesel Quaife complete final drive using a new BMW final drive and Quaife ATB LSD.

$1995 with exchange for Wavetrac large housing FD.

$2588 with exchange for Quaife large housing FD.


So here's a D owner that wants to know the reason for the huge price difference between an "i " install and a "d " install. Please elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #36
CALWATERBOY
Captain
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
15
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If someone is selling the Wavetrac at $1000, I wan to know about it. Wavetrac will remove their dealership status.
True - reasonable installed cost including tax a little under $2K, new unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #37
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
84
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
One other thing to consider: The cheapest is not always the best.

Quaife is very popular but it is a torque sensing diff. It has its disadvantages: it requires that both tires have some amount of friction for it to lock. If one tire lifts off the ground or it slips on ice, oil, etc then there quaife acts like an open diff. Wavetrack claims that they provide locking even if one tire has no traction.

BOTH quaife and wavetrack require that there is torque coming out of the drive shaft in order to lock. This means that they only lock when you are accelerating. If you are decelerating, they both act as open diffs!

Drexler, OS Giken and some others make clutch type differentials which exhibit none of those disadvantages. They are more expensive though.

My recommendation: talk to Harold@HPA. The guy knows what he is doing and he is definitely the man to get in touch about anything related to drivetrain, suspensions, brakes...

Good luck!


EDIT: I will be dropping close to $4K for an LSD after the holidays! My business is going to Harold.
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech

Last edited by vasillalov; 11-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #38
c4s335i
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

$4k sounds a bit much for a differential. The stock m3 lsd diff is under $2k, and it's a clutch type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
One other thing to consider: The cheapest is not always the best.

Quaife is very popular but it is a torque sensing diff. It has its disadvantages: it requires that both tires have some amount of friction for it to lock. If one tire lifts off the ground or it slips on ice, oil, etc then there quaife acts like an open diff. Wavetrack claims that they provide locking even if one tire has no traction.

BOTH quaife and wavetrack require that there is torque coming out of the drive shaft in order to lock. This means that they only lock when you are accelerating. If you are decelerating, they both act as open diffs!

Drexler, OS Giken and some others make clutch type differentials which exhibit none of those disadvantages. They are more expensive though.

My recommendation: talk to Harold@HPA. The guy knows what he is doing and he is definitely the man to get in touch about anything related to drivetrain, suspensions, brakes...

Good luck!


EDIT: I will be dropping close to $4K for an LSD after the holidays! My business is going to Harold.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #39
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
Syndicategt's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
3,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post
$4k sounds a bit much for a differential. The stock m3 lsd diff is under $2k, and it's a clutch type.
He's probably factoring in install price. The $2k~ M3 differential will require modification of the driveshaft, which will jack up the price more.

+1 for Harold! Bought my Quaife though him and loving it ever since. There is no other vendor on here I'd trust with suspension upgrades.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #40
tscdennab
Banned
54
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post
$4k sounds a bit much for a differential. The stock m3 lsd diff is under $2k, and it's a clutch type.
If someone would make a driveshaft that could be used with the M3 diff it would have great success. For now, fitting an M3 diff requires driveshaft modifications.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #41
c4s335i
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i sedan
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
If someone would make a driveshaft that could be used with the M3 diff it would have great success. For now, fitting an M3 diff requires driveshaft modifications.
modifying a driveshaft doesn't cost much. shops around here will do it for around $150.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #42
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
84
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4s335i View Post
$4k sounds a bit much for a differential. The stock m3 lsd diff is under $2k, and it's a clutch type.
OS Giken makes 2 types of diffs: regular LSD and Superlock (which is what I'll be getting). I have welded ring gear. I am purchasing the whole final drive unit. So it comes around $4K before installation in my car.

Is it expensive: yes of course it is. I spent the same about amount on power mods and I have FBO

Is it worth it: yes, most definitely.
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #43
tunachris
First Lieutenant
tunachris's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
318
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Simi Valley, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I had Harold install a Quaife in my ride a few months back, and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't cheap, but one of the best mods I have done. Service was top notch, and I have been back twice for further work on my E92.

Also nice to tool down the back roads on the way home!
__________________
JB4, BMW Perf. Exhaust, DCI, Strut Brace, KW Series 1, Quaife LSD, Black Kidneys.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #44
tres
Major
tres's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,335
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: maryland

iTrader: (6)

While I'm thankfull for everything HP autoworks has done for the commmunity there are shops who are much more experienced in drivetrain and diiffs installs that are cheaper http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...als-p2324.aspx Its always a good idea to shop around.
__________________
Member #431510
oem perf cf spoiler and front lip/m3strut brace/m3 subframe bushings/wavetrac lsd/ TMS solid diff bushings/akg solid tension strut bushing/MR adjustable toe arms/MR adjustable upper link/full m3 suspension/ecs tuning ss brake lines/GC coilovers./CPE dci's,catless dp,intercooler,charge pipe bov/BMS OCC/tuningtechfs tuned/RB pcv valve/defiv diff lockdownkit
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST