E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Moly lubro oil?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
gunnerxq
Captain
gunnerxq's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
974
Posts

 
Drives: e90 "325i"
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Staten Island and Albany

iTrader: (0)

Moly lubro oil?

I started using Moly lubro and now the engine runs a lot smoother maybe even gained a horse or 2. I was surprised when I started pouring it because it clear like water and it didn't smell like oil, but it was thick. I put 3000 miles on it and the car doesn't burn anymore oil not even half a quart. What's your opinion on this oil? Anything better? BTW its full-synthetic
__________________
Bilstein shocks, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit.

Last edited by gunnerxq; 05-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
plague
Captain
plague's Avatar
14
Rep
956
Posts

 
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

i always ran lubro in my b6 s4. great oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,257
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Diesel.
__________________
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austin

iTrader: (8)

mobil 1 ful syn in all my vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
wuchao1
台北 台灣
wuchao1's Avatar
Taiwan
9
Rep
619
Posts

 
Drives: 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan State Spartans / Taipei

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via MSN to wuchao1
BMW oil always...
__________________
2006 E90 325i AT TiAG...Sold!
2000 E39 M5 "The Beast"...Sold!

2004 Mazda Speed Miata... Bone Stock...
2000 Ford Explorer... Beater all the way
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
dcat151
Lieutenant
Wales
6
Rep
548
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gainesville, GA

iTrader: (1)

I haven't tried Moly Lubro, but I hear it's pretty decent. I use BMW oil in mine and have used Mobil 1 synthetic in most of my previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Bobble
Major
Bobble's Avatar
No_Country
16
Rep
1,217
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i/RIP E46 323Ci/E30 325
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

You can actually feel 1 or 2 horsepower more? Damn you're good because I sure as hell couldn't.
__________________
08 E90 335i Monaco Blue Gray Dakota ZPP ZSP Heated Seats CA Step w/Paddles iPod
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
gunnerxq
Captain
gunnerxq's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
974
Posts

 
Drives: e90 "325i"
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Staten Island and Albany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
You can actually feel 1 or 2 horsepower more? Damn you're good because I sure as hell couldn't.
Lol I put it on a dyno .... No but it revs better and feels "newer". My car has 80k miles on it so maybe it helped the engine. I think its better then Pennzoil ultra.
__________________
Bilstein shocks, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
See the ACEA A3/B4 specs as an example of some of the testing involved in the BMW LL-01 oil test sequence used to determine the proper oils for use in U.S. BMW gas engines.
BMW LL01 testing sequence simply involved running the oil in an M54 Engine (2001 330I) for 370 hours, drain and test for V100, HTHS, and TBN. ACEA A3/B4 is the european equivalent of the american pertroleum institute, and thus their testing sequences are a lot more vigorous. Please do not confuse the two tests. One day, you will stop dodging my questions, regarding inconsistensies in your LL01 logic.

Quote:"BMW LL-01 - Like the LL-98, also required to be ACEA A3, API SJ, and run a 370 hour test, but the test engine is now an M54 and compatibility with the valvetronic system is a specific test requirement. These oils tend to run a little bit lighter than the LL-98, with a Kvis100 range of 11.3 to 14.1, averaging about 12.3. HTHS averages about 3.6, TBN about 10.4, and density about 0.849."
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #10
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
As I stated above the ACEA A3/B4 lubrication tests are part of the comprehensive BMW LL-01 oil test sequence including engine family specific tests.
Well right off the bat your wrong. Like I stated, ACEA A3/B4 testing, has nothing to do with BMW LL01 testing. The M54, and N54 are two completely different engines. As long as you admit that the testing standard from 2001, would require testing in an M54, then 370hours in an M54, won't produce oil temps over 200F for instance, where as in the N54, your at 290.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Your questions have been answered many times but you don't like the answers so you ignore them. Reality does not change because you are in denial and lack the technical background to understand the subject matter.
NO they were dodged. Here are the questions:

1. Why do you and the BMW website advocate LL01 oils which have weights that differ greatly from what was specified on the engine by the manufacturer?

2. You maintain that BMW LL01 testing is required for all BMW engines, yet have no explanation for why BMW does not use LL01 oil in its M engines.

3. If BMW does not require testing of LL01 above 0W40(a weight, BMW does not recommend for any of its engines, per the part number written on them), why then do quite a few oils from manufacturers such as motul, total, pentosin, etc have LL01 approved oils with weights above 0W40. Why did BMW test, and approve those oils, but not use them in the M engines?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Time and again I have explained to you that you can not use MSDS sheets nor UOA to determine the lubrication properties of an oil. An MSDS/UOA show the physical properties of the oil, not the lubrication performance
Car manufacturers are constantly changing their product formulars. It seems like BMW only tests the oils once, but aren't re-testing, or documenting the formular changes. If two oils are "LL01" approved, and one has synthetic base oils (i.e polyalofins or true synthetic), and the other is mineral oil based, or a mixture, like your beloved M1 0W40, then you'd be a fool to assume that they would have the exact same longevity in BMW's higher horse power engines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
An oil needs to meet all of the ACEA A3/B4 oil requirements along with the LL-01 engine family specific tests for BMW LL-01 approval.
The ACEA, is a government organization that has nothing to do with BMW. There is no engine family specific test, after 2001, besides the 2001 200hp M54, which is why the test is obviously inferior. The reason why, Most "Boutique oils" aren't tested and approved is because the companies unwilling to pony up the $500,000 cash for BMW to approve their oils.

Track rat to sum up my points: Please stop badgering people on this site, and for heavens sake, stop hijacking every single oil thread. The only thing that can be taken from your rants, is that yes obviously while under the warranty period, go to the dealer and change your oil, or buy any BMW LL01 oils, not on some silly website, but the ones that have the approval listed on their back label. After the warranty is over, please change all the "lifetime fluids" ASAP. Oh yeah, and feel free to use any synthetic oil you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
jimk
Captain
jimk's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
735
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 M/T
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (5)

I use Line Red and I love always! It make my car run good but when for wheels are on car and run same directions. I do not know but other day the rear wheel go forward and front wheel go back. I think because Line Red is not LL-10 approve. It is true. But my fooly automatic transmission shifts smoother after engine oil change but only when press the pusher next to the break. Line Red must be close to LL-10 spefication but it need more work. This is oil is magical oil and I take a spoon every day to give Alli a run. Make me feel much better.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
I use Line Red and I love always! It make my car run good but when for wheels are on car and run same directions. I do not know but other day the rear wheel go forward and front wheel go back. I think because Line Red is not LL-01 approve. It is true. But my fooly automatic transmission shifts smoother after engine oil change but only when press the pusher next to the break. Line Red must be close to LL-01 spefication but it need more work. This is oil is magical oil and I take a spoon every day to give Alli a run. Make me feel much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
21
Rep
1,979
Posts

 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The forum SEARCH feature is your friend. These types of threads pop up every couple minutes.

As discussed in numerous oil threads, no one but BMW can advise if one BMW approved LL-01 oil is any better for your BMW engine than another based on objective, scientific test data. Baseless opinions and advertising hype do not make one oil better than another. That is why the engineering and scientific communities use appropriate objective, scientific testing to clarify the situation.

See the ACEA A3/B4 specs as an example of some of the testing involved in the BMW LL-01 oil test sequence used to determine the proper oils for use in U.S. BMW gas engines.

http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/fi...nces_Final.pdf
Fixed it for you.

It has no sense to try to educate a few folks on this forum. The "we hate manufacturer approved fluids and think that dishwater is much better" clowns doesn't even understand how ignorant they are.

The concept is very simple. Manufacturers test their engines and fluids and require the use of those fluids to maintain warranty coverage.

Use what the manufacturer has tested and requires and you'll be fine. Use some designer crap and any lubrication issues will be on your dime.

It is completely and totally impossible for a car owner to tell the difference in oils - assuming they use the correct viscosity
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
It has no sense to try to educate a few folks on this forum. The "we hate manufacturer approved fluids and think that dishwater is much better" clowns doesn't even understand how ignorant they are.

The concept is very simple. Manufacturers test their engines and fluids and require the use of those fluids to maintain warranty coverage.

Use what the manufacturer has tested and requires and you'll be fine. Use some designer crap and any lubrication issues will be on your dime.
Whoa.....slow down there champ..Don't call anyone names, were're all adults here. Its not your place to tell people what to do with their cars or their money. If someone wants to use ANY oil in or out of warranty, its their buisness, and not yours. If BMW has no way of knowing if a given car was using "approved" oils during warranty, or not, then thats too bad. But for heavens sake, don't go on the internet, and expect everyone to do what you do, because we are not seeing any type of negative effect of using "non-BMW" approved oils, in or out of warranty. Please mind your buisness.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i (US Spec)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

At it again are you trackrat. You completely ignored turkeys questions as you did mine!!! Sweet, you claim you can't use MSDS's however you posted spec sheets which are exact carbon copies of what BMW claims the oils should run. Your claims are baseless, you post nothing constructive such as BMW's own website. We asked for OUTSIDE sources, why not post BMW's sequence testing (which I have explained before is never going to happen because you dont have access to it). Also you tried to say BITOG is crap, which is laughable because it would actually educate these people on WHY your wrong.

Go troll else where and btw I just replaced the Royal Purple in my car with Amsoil European Formula, which the VW guys LOVE.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
21
Rep
1,979
Posts

 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
At it again are you trackrat. You completely ignored turkeys questions as you did mine!!! Sweet, you claim you can't use MSDS's however you posted spec sheets which are exact carbon copies of what BMW claims the oils should run. Your claims are baseless, you post nothing constructive such as BMW's own website. We asked for OUTSIDE sources, why not post BMW's sequence testing (which I have explained before is never going to happen because you dont have access to it). Also you tried to say BITOG is crap, which is laughable because it would actually educate these people on WHY your wrong.

Go troll else where and btw I just replaced the Royal Purple in my car with Amsoil European Formula, which the VW guys LOVE.
Micah;

You are totally missing the point. If you are under warranty and want to keep your warranty then you need to use a oil (and other fluids) that meets the specs set out by the manufacturer. For our cars in the US that means LL-01. In Europe that means LL-04.

If you are out of warranty then you can use whatever you like.

No consumer can tell the difference in oils, so you can continue to live under the delusion that RP or amSOIL is good for your car. Neither of those oils meets any specs for our cars (or VW for that matter.)

I assume you are no longer under warranty so enjoy your amSOIL.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #17
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,338
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Well right off the bat your wrong. Like I stated, ACEA A3/B4 testing, has nothing to do with BMW LL01 testing. The M54, and N54 are two completely different engines. As long as you admit that the testing standard from 2001, would require testing in an M54, then 370hours in an M54, won't produce oil temps over 200F for instance, where as in the N54, your at 290.



NO they were dodged. Here are the questions:

1. Why do you and the BMW website advocate LL01 oils which have weights that differ greatly from what was specified on the engine by the manufacturer?

2. You maintain that BMW LL01 testing is required for all BMW engines, yet have no explanation for why BMW does not use LL01 oil in its M engines.

3. If BMW does not require testing of LL01 above 0W40(a weight, BMW does not recommend for any of its engines, per the part number written on them), why then do quite a few oils from manufacturers such as motul, total, pentosin, etc have LL01 approved oils with weights above 0W40. Why did BMW test, and approve those oils, but not use them in the M engines?




Car manufacturers are constantly changing their product formulars. It seems like BMW only tests the oils once, but aren't re-testing, or documenting the formular changes. If two oils are "LL01" approved, and one has synthetic base oils (i.e polyalofins or true synthetic), and the other is mineral oil based, or a mixture, like your beloved M1 0W40, then you'd be a fool to assume that they would have the exact same longevity in BMW's higher horse power engines.


The ACEA, is a government organization that has nothing to do with BMW. There is no engine family specific test, after 2001, besides the 2001 200hp M54, which is why the test is obviously inferior. The reason why, Most "Boutique oils" aren't tested and approved is because the companies unwilling to pony up the $500,000 cash for BMW to approve their oils.

Track rat to sum up my points: Please stop badgering people on this site, and for heavens sake, stop hijacking every single oil thread. The only thing that can be taken from your rants, is that yes obviously while under the warranty period, go to the dealer and change your oil, or buy any BMW LL01 oils, not on some silly website, but the ones that have the approval listed on their back label. After the warranty is over, please change all the "lifetime fluids" ASAP. Oh yeah, and feel free to use any synthetic oil you want.
Hey Turkey did you know that all curren generation M's except for M3 take regular BMW 5W30 instead of the TWS?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #18
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Hey Turkey did you know that all curren generation M's except for M3 take regular BMW 5W30 instead of the TWS?
Yes, the E46 M3 started out with BMW 5W 30. How did that work out?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
Go troll else where and btw I just replaced the Royal Purple in my car with Amsoil European Formula, which the VW guys LOVE.
+1!
Me:
Engine oil- Total
Brake Fluid- ATE
Power steering- Pentosin
Coolant- Total
Transfluid- Pentosin
Rear Diff- Royal Purple

Shh... but don't tell track rat. He'll kill himself.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Turkeybaster115
Banned
31
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Micah;

You are totally missing the point. If you are under warranty and want to keep your warranty then you need to use a oil (and other fluids) that meets the specs set out by the manufacturer. For our cars in the US that means LL-01. In Europe that means LL-04.

If you are out of warranty then you can use whatever you like.

No consumer can tell the difference in oils, so you can continue to live under the delusion that RP or amSOIL is good for your car. Neither of those oils meets any specs for our cars (or VW for that matter.)

I assume you are no longer under warranty so enjoy your amSOIL.
well here's a smart one, so let me as you some questions.

1. SO during my "warranty" peroid, you want me to use only BMW LL01 approved oil, right? So can do I have to use the one at the stealership, or is it ok for me to use German made BMW LL01 oils such as pentosin, Total, motul, lubrimoly, etc? If its ok, and logical for me to go and buy these oils, with the same LL01 approval, written on the back labels by germans, and change the oil, then is my car still "warrantied"? When I come back to the stealership for work to be done on my car, can I show the the empty bottle with the LL01 written on the back label, just like the one they are selling?

2. If the answers to the above questions are yes, then if I change my oil with say redline, royal purple, or amsoil, and 4,000 miles later I come in for repair work, and they ask me if my oil was LL01 approved, and I say yes, how would they know the oil isn't? Oh, and don't tell me, its by the color of the oil, because thats just a stupid response.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,338
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Well right off the bat your wrong. Like I stated, ACEA A3/B4 testing, has nothing to do with BMW LL01 testing. The M54, and N54 are two completely different engines. As long as you admit that the testing standard from 2001, would require testing in an M54, then 370hours in an M54, won't produce oil temps over 200F for instance, where as in the N54, your at 290.



NO they were dodged. Here are the questions:

1. Why do you and the BMW website advocate LL01 oils which have weights that differ greatly from what was specified on the engine by the manufacturer?

2. You maintain that BMW LL01 testing is required for all BMW engines, yet have no explanation for why BMW does not use LL01 oil in its M engines.

3. If BMW does not require testing of LL01 above 0W40(a weight, BMW does not recommend for any of its engines, per the part number written on them), why then do quite a few oils from manufacturers such as motul, total, pentosin, etc have LL01 approved oils with weights above 0W40. Why did BMW test, and approve those oils, but not use them in the M engines?




Car manufacturers are constantly changing their product formulars. It seems like BMW only tests the oils once, but aren't re-testing, or documenting the formular changes. If two oils are "LL01" approved, and one has synthetic base oils (i.e polyalofins or true synthetic), and the other is mineral oil based, or a mixture, like your beloved M1 0W40, then you'd be a fool to assume that they would have the exact same longevity in BMW's higher horse power engines.


The ACEA, is a government organization that has nothing to do with BMW. There is no engine family specific test, after 2001, besides the 2001 200hp M54, which is why the test is obviously inferior. The reason why, Most "Boutique oils" aren't tested and approved is because the companies unwilling to pony up the $500,000 cash for BMW to approve their oils.

Track rat to sum up my points: Please stop badgering people on this site, and for heavens sake, stop hijacking every single oil thread. The only thing that can be taken from your rants, is that yes obviously while under the warranty period, go to the dealer and change your oil, or buy any BMW LL01 oils, not on some silly website, but the ones that have the approval listed on their back label. After the warranty is over, please change all the "lifetime fluids" ASAP. Oh yeah, and feel free to use any synthetic oil you want.
Hey Turkey did you know that all curren generation M's except for M3 take regular BMW 5W30 instead of the TWS?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #22
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i (US Spec)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Hey Turkey did you know that all curren generation M's except for M3 take regular BMW 5W30 instead of the TWS?
And what is your source for this information?

@ Ceb, still don't care what you say, honestly Moly is a more reputable company than Mobil and

to the OP the Moly products would work wonderfully for you.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST