E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Denied Oil Change Service at Dealership



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #89
gdnyc
Lieutenant
 
gdnyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC

Posts: 473
iTrader: (0)

I don't understand what the big fuss is over the oil change. DIY is very easy. Filter is right on top of the engine. Put the car on ramps and drain the oil.

Like Rickwjenn said before, I enjoy working on my own car. I couldn't wait for the maintenance to expire on my car for that very reason. Plus, the dealer always manages to mess something else up in the process..
__________________
2006 330xi

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
gdnyc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #90
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
 
STE92VE's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 6,264
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc View Post
I don't understand what the big fuss is over the oil change. DIY is very easy. Filter is right on top of the engine. Put the car on ramps and drain the oil.
The big fuss is not who is doing the oil change but rather that a benefit that was included when we purchased our vehicles has now been taken away.
__________________
2007 E92 328i 6MT-Space Gray/Black Dakota/Gray Poplar w/heated seats-PCD 4/27/07 (SOLD)
2009 E90 328i xDrive 6AT-Space Gray/Oyster Dakota/Dark Burl Walnut w/ZPP,ZCW,Xenons-ED 4/17/09 - Redelivery 5/30/09 (SOLD)
2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14

STE92VE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #91
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc View Post
I don't understand what the big fuss is over the oil change. DIY is very easy. Filter is right on top of the engine. Put the car on ramps and drain the oil.

Like Rickwjenn said before, I enjoy working on my own car. I couldn't wait for the maintenance to expire on my car for that very reason. Plus, the dealer always manages to mess something else up in the process..
My god, easy or not....that's not the point.

Thanks for showing off that you're savvy and do your own oil changes.
BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #92
TJDiCandido
Outlaw 06
 
TJDiCandido's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 / E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CCCP (Connecticut Soviet Socialist Republic)

Posts: 946
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 M3 Coupe  [4.50]
2007 E90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Hey, here's a novel idea that I just thought of....

If they can change the rules of the game, so can I. I'll change the interval of my BMW FS loan payments since my financial technicians determined that it's not necessary to make monthly payments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
The big fuss is not who is doing the oil change but rather that a benefit that was included when we purchased our vehicles has now been taken away.
IMO you're getting yourself a little too worked up about a "free" oil change.

It will only cost you about $10 for a BMW oil filter, about $35 for 7 quarts of BMW LL01 compatible oil (Castrol Syntec 0W-30, Mobil 1 0W-40, etc.), and about 20 minutes of your time...
__________________
Current vehicles:
2007 BMW 335i Sedan, 6MT, ZSP
2004 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT
TJDiCandido is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #93
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

I had my oil changed at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. When they reset the oil change interval, it was set to two years and 25K miles. I just bought the car a month ago so it was the first oil change for me. Was it reset to 25K miles after dealer oil changes prior to 9/1/10?
I've also noticed that the miles don't click down as fast as they did prior to the oil change ... ie the computer stated 3400 miles until next change when I bought it but after driving 2200 miles, it read 50 miles until change. I've driven nearly 2K miles of the same type of driving (a bit aggressive), yet it still reads 24K miles until next service.

So it appears that they've not only extended the interval between changes, they've also reprogrammed the conditioned based service software so that oil changes will be occurring at ~25K miles, no matter how hard you drive the car, instead of ~15K miles. There's no telling what other services have been extended due to software reprogramming.

Fortunately, I'm at 44K miles (my maintenance warranty expires at 50K and I won't be buying an extended maintenance warranty) and plan on doing my own changes at ~7K mile intervals.
iflyjetzzz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #94
ENINTY
Banned
 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
I had my oil changed at the dealer a couple of weeks ago. When they reset the oil change interval, it was set to two years and 25K miles. I just bought the car a month ago so it was the first oil change for me. Was it reset to 25K miles after dealer oil changes prior to 9/1/10?
I've also noticed that the miles don't click down as fast as they did prior to the oil change ... ie the computer stated 3400 miles until next change when I bought it but after driving 2200 miles, it read 50 miles until change. I've driven nearly 2K miles of the same type of driving (a bit aggressive), yet it still reads 24K miles until next service.

So it appears that they've not only extended the interval between changes, they've also reprogrammed the conditioned based service software so that oil changes will be occurring at ~25K miles, no matter how hard you drive the car, instead of ~15K miles. There's no telling what other services have been extended due to software reprogramming.

Fortunately, I'm at 44K miles (my maintenance warranty expires at 50K and I won't be buying an extended maintenance warranty) and plan on doing my own changes at ~7K mile intervals.
When you go below 1,000 miles to the next oil service change, it counts down in 100 mile increments rather than 1,000 mile increments.
ENINTY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #95
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
 
STE92VE's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 6,264
iTrader: (0)

Now I know why they pulled the plug on our low mileage oil changes....they have to pay for these:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/dealerloc...sageId=8527218
__________________
2007 E92 328i 6MT-Space Gray/Black Dakota/Gray Poplar w/heated seats-PCD 4/27/07 (SOLD)
2009 E90 328i xDrive 6AT-Space Gray/Oyster Dakota/Dark Burl Walnut w/ZPP,ZCW,Xenons-ED 4/17/09 - Redelivery 5/30/09 (SOLD)
2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14

STE92VE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #96
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

eventually.....the engine oil will be lifetime....just like the transmission fluid
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #97
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
When you go below 1,000 miles to the next oil service change, it counts down in 100 mile increments rather than 1,000 mile increments.
I understand that it clicks down in 1000, 100, and 10 mile increments depending on how close you are to 0. I think that it was at 3400 miles until change when I got the car, so the 100 mile increment probably occurs in the last 5000 miles. I think that the last 500 miles, it went in 10 mile increments.

Let me write this in a different way:
I watched the miles until oil change starting at 3400 miles. It clicked down faster than my mileage increased on my odometer.
I have been watching the miles until next oil change, which started at 25K miles. The miles until change turned over to 24K miles at approximately 1K miles on my odometer. I've got ~1800 miles on the car since the oil change and it has not yet rolled over to 23K miles until change.
I have not changed my driving style to be less aggressive; if anything, I've been much harder on the engine since the oil change.

I bought this car at 40K miles so I don't have experience on how fast/slow the mileage clicked down on oil changes previously. It just appears to me that they've reprogrammed the software to extend mileage between oil changes along with the new time limits (no time limit for anyone over 6K miles annually).
And of note is that my oil change reads 9/2012 instead of 9/2011. What if I drive 5K miles in a year? The Conditioned Based Service (CBS) software wouldn't tell me that I need an oil change on 9/2011, in spite of that being the new policy.


I wouldn't be surprised if the CBS software gets reprogrammed for more frequent service intervals once your car is no longer covered by a maintenance warranty. It appears to be very easy to do with CBS.
iflyjetzzz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #98
ENINTY
Banned
 
Drives: 2006 325i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 3,415
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
I understand that it clicks down in 1000, 100, and 10 mile increments depending on how close you are to 0. I think that it was at 3400 miles until change when I got the car, so the 100 mile increment probably occurs in the last 5000 miles. I think that the last 500 miles, it went in 10 mile increments.

Let me write this in a different way:
I watched the miles until oil change starting at 3400 miles. It clicked down faster than my mileage increased on my odometer.
I have been watching the miles until next oil change, which started at 25K miles. The miles until change turned over to 24K miles at approximately 1K miles on my odometer. I've got ~1800 miles on the car since the oil change and it has not yet rolled over to 23K miles until change.
I have not changed my driving style to be less aggressive; if anything, I've been much harder on the engine since the oil change.

I bought this car at 40K miles so I don't have experience on how fast/slow the mileage clicked down on oil changes previously. It just appears to me that they've reprogrammed the software to extend mileage between oil changes along with the new time limits (no time limit for anyone over 6K miles annually).
And of note is that my oil change reads 9/2012 instead of 9/2011. What if I drive 5K miles in a year? The Conditioned Based Service (CBS) software wouldn't tell me that I need an oil change on 9/2011, in spite of that being the new policy.


I wouldn't be surprised if the CBS software gets reprogrammed for more frequent service intervals once your car is no longer covered by a maintenance warranty. It appears to be very easy to do with CBS.
So you need to keep an eye on it. Don't put any faith in the date the CBS quotes you. Just look at the mileage. I drive 800 miles a week and when I change the oil at the CBS dictated intervals, my CBS always says I'll need the next oil change in about 18 - 20 months, when I run off the 17,000 miles in about 5.5 months and need to change the oil. I'd bet the CBS works out to about 17,000 miles once you run the car for a while.
ENINTY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #99
Tom K.
Major General
 
Tom K.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,370
iTrader: (0)

I was told that it becomes less linear the closer it is to the service and that seems to be the case.

My 128i had 2 changes prior to 17,000 miles without the countdown being reset. At that time, it read 6,000 to the next change but began decrementing more rapidly and called for the actual change at about 19,500 (15,000 of that was highway & back road mileage).

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #100
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
 
STE92VE's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 6,264
iTrader: (0)

Good news all! BMW has reinstated the low mileage oil change policy!
__________________
2007 E92 328i 6MT-Space Gray/Black Dakota/Gray Poplar w/heated seats-PCD 4/27/07 (SOLD)
2009 E90 328i xDrive 6AT-Space Gray/Oyster Dakota/Dark Burl Walnut w/ZPP,ZCW,Xenons-ED 4/17/09 - Redelivery 5/30/09 (SOLD)
2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14

STE92VE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #101
Sigwolf
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xdrive m-sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Good news all! BMW has reinstated the low mileage oil change policy!
Meaning?
Sigwolf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #102
Ninpo1
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 129
iTrader: (1)

Do you have any documentation that you could share in case the dealerships are not informed?
Ninpo1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST