E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Sheesh! Anyone have Wurth Silver Paint?

04-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #23
ase2dais
//Mdicted

Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
I would be all about it, but Im in sunny San Diego as we speak... Wont be home until Sunday, and I know Brian was talking about doing this relatively soon...
San Diego! Nice!
I love that place

njoy!
ase2dais is offline   United_States
      04-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #24
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
AJ - I'm not doing it this weekend (busy), but maybe the following week or weekend, assuming it's warm and dry outside. With my schedule, it's hard for me to promise any DIY get-together, so I hesitate to promise anything or set a date. But if it looks like I can set aside some time for us to do this together, I'll PM you and see if you're up for bringing your tires to my place.

Keep in mind I have two little kids, so my free time is sporadic -- I expect my DIY will be more "clean day one, sand day two, clean and Bondo and sand on day three, clean and primer on day four" etc.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
      04-12-2007, 11:28 PM   #25
jrios_jr
First Bimmer

Drives: 3333555

have you guys done this yet??? even if i can't do it with you guys i would love to just watch and learn, i can probably help out to. I have 2 rims that need repair please let me know as well
      04-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #26
BK
Smiling politely

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Haven't done it yet, and this weekend doesn't look good, either.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
      04-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #27
ase2dais
//Mdicted

Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
reminds me the summer 161 wheel Im about to put on soon have some crub rash
ase2dais is offline   United_States
      04-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #28
jrios_jr
First Bimmer

Drives: 3333555

oh okay great... whenever you guys get around to it please let me know i'll help
      04-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #29
BK
Smiling politely

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
I just heard from Autopia Car Care / The Perfect Shine. They expect to get the Wurth paint back in stock on May 16th, though they say it could be longer. This has been one hell of a long recall.

shim - I plan to order 2x of everything, so I have a can for myself and I can replace the stuff you gave me. Thanks again.

As for me, I still haven't done my wheels, but may do them this weekend. We'll see. Next weekend is definitely out for me (relatives in town). By the time I end up doing my wheels, it may be May 16th already, anyway!

04-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #30
BK
Smiling politely

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
I am keeping my fingers crossed for the new Wurth paint. I went through the whole procedure today, cleaning, sanding, putty, prime, and paint... and the Wurth paint I got from shim turns out to be one of the defective cans. Nevertheless, I still appreciate that you were willing to give it to me, shim -- also, the primer worked great. And the clear coat you gave me should be perfectly fine once I finally get a chance to use it.

Oh well. I'll try to clean up the mess and try again once the new Wurth hits the shelves. On the plus side, what little paint I did get to come out of the can looks like it should match the OEM.

04-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #31
bavarian19
General

Drives: Car

Brian,

Can you let me know when you are going to do your wheels? I might be interested in doing mine as well, and would atleast like to watch the process..
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
      04-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #32
picus
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

FWIW, I use Silber Spray and have not had a problem with matching.
picus is offline   Canada
      04-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #33
BK
Smiling politely

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
AJ - I started doing mine yesterday, I just had to stop when the Wurth crapped out on me: clean, sand, clean, Bondo, sand, clean, primer, wipe up overspray, sand, wipe again, paint... and that's where I had to stop because the paint didn't work. Normally, after the paint step, you can wetsand a bit if it needs it, otherwise, just spray a few layers of clear and then you're done (besides polishing it up).

It's pretty easy. It just takes forever because you have to wait for Bondo, primer, and paint to dry in between layers. I can help you get started whenever you decide to do your rims. I was surprised at how little Bondo I needed. If you have a scape without any gouge, you don't even need Bondo -- I only needed it in a couple of spots. And the spots where I did need it, I had put on way too much and had to sand almost all of it away. But it worked great and I can tell the tires will look perfect, once I can finally paint them!

A question for the experts: If I put the tires away as they are now, then I think the only thing I'll need to do is clean the rims with Dawn, wipe the area I need to paint with some paint thinner, then paint. Or do you guys think I'll have to redo the primer? Right now, the primer has some Wurth silver on it, but isn't fully covered. And in some spots, the Wurth just dribbled out of the can left droplets, like ink spots. I assume I can remove them with paint thinner and paint over it again? What would you guys do?

Also - picus, thanks for the recommendation. If the Wurth isn't out soon, then I'll just get the Einszett (1Z) Silber. The primer I used was 1Z and it seems to work well. The clear I have is Wurth, and I hear it works fine with 1Z Silber.

04-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #34
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

I need to touch up a spot on my passenger side front as well. I'm subscribed to this one so let me know what you find about the restocking of the paint.
      05-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #35
BK
Smiling politely

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Wurth is still not in. Anywhere. As you can see above, Einszett (1Z) is a substitute and picus likes it, so that's good enough for me. Read here for how one store is saying they now sell the 1Z instead of the Wurth: http://www.properautocare.com/wusilasppa.html

Quote:
NOTE: In the past, we offered Wurth Silver Lacquer Wheel Paint but Wurth initiated a nation-wide recall of their paint due to paint clogging in the spray head. Our research found that Einszett is the current supplier to Mercedes Benz and their new acrylic lacquer wheel paint is an exact match for the silver-grey wheel color used by European automakers. 1Z Silver Wheel Paint is also a high-solids formula and being an acrylic it is lead- and cadmium-free and quick drying. Einszett does not make a High Gloss Clear top coat. They recommend topping their Silver Wheel Paint with Wurth High Gloss Clear to match the OEM gloss of new vehicles.
1Z is sold out most places , but I found it at Pelican Parts: http://www.pelicanparts.com/ or, directly to the paint: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...mber=IZ-970330

I ordered the 1Z and I may do the repaint over the Memorial Day weekend. We'll see if I have the 162s on by the time we have our BBQ, but I doubt it. At least my long journey to fix my rims will finally be over soon.