E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > checked oil and confused



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
378

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
checked oil and confused

checked the oil while she was stone cold and not driven since last night and it was on the minumum. drove roudn to get some oil warmed thru got back and checked before i went to top up and it was on maximum?

what do i do next argh?!!!

tried bmw they do not know jack shit!!


carl
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
87

 
SoYank's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado


Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
The engine must be running and warmed up for the iDrive (if you have it) to show the oil level. Don't know about without iDrive.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
378

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
hi it was parked on my level drive, and when i re-checked when warm was on the drive

i have i-drive and didnt know i could check oil with it? i manually checked with dipshit!!!! best wa surely? what do i do now??
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Dave_3
Colonel
Scotland
41

 
Dave_3's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D sDrive Msport
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CH / SCO


Posts: 2,789
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The electronic oil level is on the 335i only.

Us 335D owners need to use the old school method ... dipstick and eyeball.

D.
__________________
Escort Mk1 RS2000 (2.1 2x44IDFS, BVH, Kent FR32, 5spd, 180 BHP) : Fully Loaded F32 430D M Sport sDrive : Previously Full-Spec 335D E92 2006 : Capri MK1 full rebuild in progress

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
87

 
SoYank's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado


Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
hi it was parked on my level drive, and when i re-checked when warm was on the drive

i have i-drive and didnt know i could check oil with it? i manually checked with dipshit!!!! best wa surely? what do i do now??
Wipe the "dipshit" off and try again?
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
87

 
SoYank's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado


Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
The electronic oil level is on the 335i only.

Us 335D owners need to use the old school method ... dipstick and eyeball.

D.
Oh. Poor fellas.

Actually, I'd like a dipstick in my 330i.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
squeezebm
Colonel
29

 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Notts


Posts: 2,652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
checked the oil while she was stone cold and not driven since last night and it was on the minumum. drove roudn to get some oil warmed thru got back and checked before i went to top up and it was on maximum?

what do i do next argh?!!!

tried bmw they do not know jack shit!!


carl
dxd,was it not you who was telling/lecturing on how to check oil,engines blood etc.Have another look thru the handbook
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
111

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
checked the oil while she was stone cold and not driven since last night and it was on the minumum. drove roudn to get some oil warmed thru got back and checked before i went to top up and it was on maximum?

what do i do next argh?!!!

tried bmw they do not know jack shit!!


carl
This may be because oil expands as it's temperature increases ...

The electronic dipshit (sorry dipstick) on the petrol engined cars only works when the engine is at operating temp.

Suggest you check the manual to see if the diesel oil level should be checked warm or cold.

i.e. is it a warm max/min or a cold one.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
378

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
dxd,was it not you who was telling/lecturing on how to check oil,engines blood etc.Have another look thru the handbook
YES thats right, THIS is the FIRST car ive ever come across where the oil 'expands' and reads higher on a dipshit after being run and warm

every other car i have owned the oil on the dipshit is lower after being run as most of the oil is still aroudn the engine,
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
SoYank
Major General
United_States
87

 
SoYank's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado


Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
OK, now I'm thinking the misspelt word is not a typo. But is it intentional?
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
en1gma
Private
United Kingdom
0

 
en1gma's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK


Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

The manual suggests that the car should be moving when the oil is checked using the onboard electronics... Does this make any difference???
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
ShereKhan
Captain
United Kingdom
14

 
ShereKhan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi SE
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bristol, UK


Posts: 995
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
The manual suggests that the car should be moving when the oil is checked using the onboard electronics... Does this make any difference???
If you are using the onboard electronics then as NFS has said you can only use this when the car has warmed up.

Otherwise you'll just get an annoying egg timer clock appearing and the oil monitor will just disappear.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General
England
58

 
mjh93sa's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire


Posts: 5,079
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
YES thats right, THIS is the FIRST car ive ever come across where the oil 'expands' and reads higher on a dipshit after being run and warm

every other car i have owned the oil on the dipshit is lower after being run as most of the oil is still aroudn the engine,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
OK, now I'm thinking the misspelt word is not a typo. But is it intentional?
You mean aroudn Floyd?
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 03:32 AM   #14
silverbmwz3
Colonel
23

 
Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK


Posts: 2,021
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
This may be because oil expands as it's temperature increases ...

The electronic dipshit (sorry dipstick) on the petrol engined cars only works when the engine is at operating temp.

Suggest you check the manual to see if the diesel oil level should be checked warm or cold.

i.e. is it a warm max/min or a cold one.

Would be nice if the diesel car had some kind of indicator as to when the engine was warm and the oil level...maybe it does, I really must read the manual
__________________
Current: E90 335d (May 2007) | Black/Black | Prof Hifi | Prof Nav | 6FL | Fully Electric Seats | Xenons | Folding Mirrors | PDC
Previous: 325ci Conv. Black/Black with lots of ACS
Previous: z3 3.0 Silver with Black&Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 04:47 AM   #15
Dave_3
Colonel
Scotland
41

 
Dave_3's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 430D sDrive Msport
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CH / SCO


Posts: 2,789
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Would be nice if the diesel car had some kind of indicator as to when the engine was warm and the oil level...maybe it does, I really must read the manual
Yes, that is one BIG clanger from BMW. No water temp guage ! Oil level doesn't bother me so much, there is an indicator to warn, but no actual reading.

What I would really like is the possibilty to display the water & oil temp directly on the iDrive screen - like the Skyline GTR did. You select what you want displayed and it draws a couple of analogue guages. The values MUST be monitored anyway for the engine mapping so it must be possible. And the temp does not vary that quickly so wouldn't need to be updated at a high frequency.

Just mocked up something quickly in PS to show what I mean below :

D.

__________________
Escort Mk1 RS2000 (2.1 2x44IDFS, BVH, Kent FR32, 5spd, 180 BHP) : Fully Loaded F32 430D M Sport sDrive : Previously Full-Spec 335D E92 2006 : Capri MK1 full rebuild in progress

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
111

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Yes, that is one BIG clanger from BMW. No water temp guage ! Oil level doesn't bother me so much, there is an indicator to warn, but no actual reading.

What I would really like is the possibilty to display the water & oil temp directly on the iDrive screen - like the Skyline GTR did. You select what you want displayed and it draws a couple of analogue guages. The values MUST be monitored anyway for the engine mapping so it must be possible. And the temp does not vary that quickly so wouldn't need to be updated at a high frequency.

Just mocked up something quickly in PS to show what I mean below :

D.

Great idea ... I suggest you get a job with BMW pronto.

I checked the manual yesterday and can confirm that the diesels oil level should be checked after a short drive to warm up the engine and a 5 min wait for the oil level to settle.

In other words the max and min marks are for a warmed engine.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
Wsielski
New Member
0

 
Wsielski's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sevenoaks UK


Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
The electronic oil level is on the 335i only.

Us 335D owners need to use the old school method ... dipstick and eyeball.

D.
However, Idrive will let you know if oil level is dangerously low, on 335d at least!
__________________
335d E92, Logic 7, Professional Sat Nav, BMW iPod integration, replaced Run Flats with non Run Flat Michellin Sport PS2 and love it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
378

 
dxb335d's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''


Posts: 29,285
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsielski View Post
However, Idrive will let you know if oil level is dangerously low, on 335d at least!
you have had it low then chap?
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #19
ShereKhan
Captain
United Kingdom
14

 
ShereKhan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi SE
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bristol, UK


Posts: 995
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Yes, that is one BIG clanger from BMW. No water temp guage ! Oil level doesn't bother me so much, there is an indicator to warn, but no actual reading.

What I would really like is the possibilty to display the water & oil temp directly on the iDrive screen - like the Skyline GTR did. You select what you want displayed and it draws a couple of analogue guages. The values MUST be monitored anyway for the engine mapping so it must be possible. And the temp does not vary that quickly so wouldn't need to be updated at a high frequency.

Just mocked up something quickly in PS to show what I mean below :

D.


When at the dealers last week I asked what information the key holds when they dangle it into their readers.

One parameter showed the coolant & Oil temperature

I was suprised to see that it even tells you how much fuel is in the car.
So the info is there. What you need is a key reader (the starter key socket) and a pin out from the key unit (unlikely to be released) and you could buidl your own aftermarket kit......
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST