E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > About To Bite The Bullet

05-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
About To Bite The Bullet

and get the 335d re-mapped, she is quick enough as she is but i just cravign more power now

but whats stopping me clamping my teeth onto the bullet is the 'nanny'

i mean i drive quite hard, and i dotn really want to be half way past a lorry and the 'nanny' kicks in because that could have potentially disasterous consequences...

please anyone with a re-map on there 335d please explain how the nanny kicks in and when? if i drive hard most of the time will it really impede my progress and piss me off and potentially put me in dangerous situations?

any comments very welcome

carl
      05-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
and get the 335d re-mapped, she is quick enough as she is but i just cravign more power now

but whats stopping me clamping my teeth onto the bullet is the 'nanny'

i mean i drive quite hard, and i dotn really want to be half way past a lorry and the 'nanny' kicks in because that could have potentially disasterous consequences...

please anyone with a re-map on there 335d please explain how the nanny kicks in and when? if i drive hard most of the time will it really impede my progress and piss me off and potentially put me in dangerous situations?

any comments very welcome

carl
What do you mean by the 'nanny'?

if you mean the 155mph limiter, then most remaps remove this, but if you are talking about overtaking at 155mph, then you are probably already in a dangerous situation.
      05-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
What do you mean by the 'nanny'?

if you mean the 155mph limiter, then most remaps remove this, but if you are talking about overtaking at 155mph, then you are probably already in a dangerous situation.
the gearbox nanny chap?

dosent it limit the torque when your booting it and in effect put the car into a milder version of 'limp home mode'
      05-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
the gearbox nanny chap?

dosent it limit the torque when your booting it and in effect put the car into a milder version of 'limp home mode'
OK ... I've not seen anything that suggests that the auto transmissions have a 'self defence' system, but I'm not that familier with the new tranny in the 335d.

I've spoken with a few people who have remapped 535d's and none have mentioned any intervention to protect the gearbox. The re-mappers obviously take some time to ensure that the torque levels are kept within the gearboxs limits and it would seem to me that, if their is a nanny, any remap that took torque to the point at which it intervened was essentially taking it to far.
      05-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow

Garage List
Isn't this what Peppernick was referrring to in one of his posts? Is it an issue on DMS remap or all remaps? I suspect someone who knows will clear up ....
      05-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
yes peppernick has mentioned this 'nanny' previously, i would appreciate his input into this thread.!
      05-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
peppernick
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335D, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
and i dotn really want to be half way past a lorry and the 'nanny' kicks in because that could have potentially disasterous consequences...

LOL ....... you guys are sh*tt*ng yourselves unneccesarily. The car doesn't shut down and there will be no 'disasterous consequences'. The gearbox 'nanny' limits engine power to that of an acceptable level (in BMW's book, safe enough for the car to perform continually in that specific manner for 250k miles; in layman's term, a huge safety margin still available to reap more benefit from power and torque, if you can get past this electronic 'inconvenience').

The gearbox' nanny kicks in under 2 circumstances.

1) When there is significant amount load imposed on the gearbox.

2) When the gearbox oil gets too hot (like what happened to mine on the dyno because of the continual high rev runs with little interuptions)

Most of the time, and for most people, you will not even notice the nanny effect there. I noticed it because I am hypersensitive to these things and an ultra fussy anorak when it comes to cars. I can tell the difference between running negative 2 degree front camber and 0 degree camber, I can tell the difference between using steel braided brake hoses compared to the standard rubber ones. Not many people are like that.

Either way, even when the gearbox nanny kicks in, you'll still be pulling harder with a re-mapped 335D compared to stock. Unlike the older 535D, the gearbox does not go into limp mode on the 335D; hence, your car doesn't shut down as a consequence.

The effect is obvious on the dyno graphs but if you look at the videos I posted on the same thread, you can see how discreet the 'nanny' effect is when the car is on the move. When I filmed the first vid, I remember feeling the gearbox 'nanny' kick in just before second and third gear engaged. As a result, my 0-60 run was 5.2 secs instead of 4.8. It's as decreet as that.

Go for the re-map, you'll not regret it
      05-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
335DJim
Private First Class

Drives: 335D Coupe

Purchased a 335D today following reading these forums - Peppernick your video's are partly to blame!...

Picking her up on Wednesday:rocks:

I'll be mapping for sure.. can you PM the details/costs/details etc?

Cheers,

Jim
      05-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
peppernick
First Lieutenant

Hi 335DJim, congrats!

My car has the CA Automotive map, www.ca-automotive.co.uk Speak to Roy. Cost £525 including VAT. My car has done 2500 miles since the re-map and keeps on pulling harder now the engine is starting to free up a little more.

345BHP, 700Nm torque = BIG SMILE!
      05-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
nick your m3 you had previously, what did you quarter that in before?

does your 335d feel quicker than the m3? did it feel much slower before the re-map compared to the m3?

carl
      05-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
peppernick
First Lieutenant

I did a 14.3 at 105MPH with the M3. But it's a manual and I'm not the quickest shifter.

The 335D is deceptively fast, as such the M3 will always feel faster.
      05-21-2007, 01:04 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Garage List
that was a e46 m3?

so you already were quicker with the 335d when she was standard anyhow!

so would you say there would be very little between a stock e46 m3 and a stock 335d?
      05-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
peppernick
First Lieutenant

I think these cars are much more about just straight line speed, or quoted 0-60 etc. Both cars are quick in their own ways. To say one is quicker than the other is in the real world irrelevant to what these cars can actually do.

But to answer your question, yes the 335D is probably quicker to a quarter mile but I've seen stock M3s doing mid 12s runs. The reason why the 335D is quicker in my case is because it's easier to put the power down off the line, in which the electronics did everything with little driver involvement. The M3, you need to know what you're doing to make it really quick, the 335D is more an 'everyday Joe' driver's car.

Around a track, or on clear B roads, a properly driven stock E46 M3 will murder a 335D, re-mapped or not.