E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > ProperAutoCare meltdown

07-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep

Drives: 335ix

ProperAutoCare meltdown

Last week ProperAutoCare (aka Classic Motoring Accessories) had a "we're closing our website sale."

I placed an order and noted that they had free shipping with a minimum $300 purchase so I added more stuff to my order to get the free shipping.

The following day I get two order acknowledgements. The email says that my order is being packed and readied for shipment.

Three days later I get an email from a Michael Steverson:

"Thank you for your order during our close-out sale.
However, through an error, you were not charged shipping on your order.
During this sale, our normal shipping rates apply.
Free shipping starts at orders of $500 or rmore.
Your order, being less than that amount, requires an additional shipping charge.
Additionally, an orders requiring multiple boxes will also require additional shipping charges.
Obviously, with this being a close-out sale, we cannot give free shipping at lower amounts as we used to do.

If you would like us to proceed with your order, we can charge your credit card, or send you a PayPal invoice (if you paid via PayPal) to cover the shipping costs.
Should you wish to cancel your order, please let us know. If cancelled, any funds collected will be refunded.

Please respond back to us as quickly as possible as this promo ends tomorrow and all orders will be shipped by Thursday"

I replied with the following:

"Sorry, but I followed your instructions and ordered additional items to
bring my order over the advertised "free shipping on orders over $300"
threshold. I followed your instructions to the letter and there was no
"error." You changed the rules after the agreement was made.

This is completely unacceptable. Cancel my order immediately and confirm
cancellation by return email. I expect a refund on my credit card
immediately. Any charges to my credit card will be disputed tomorrow and
you can expect negative comments on the forums I frequent.

To call this an "error" is an insult to your customers and indicative of
very shoddy business practices.

Your appropriate response should have been "we screwed up and can't afford
to give you free shipping. We will either cancel your order with our
apologies, offer you reduced shipping charges to cover our actual costs or
we will allow you to modify your order at the sale prices so that you can
remove those "nice to have" items that you added just to get free shipping."

Your email makes it sound like the customer is at fault.

I await your immediate response."

To which he replied:

"Your initial order may have been over $300, but with some of the items coming up out of stock by the time we were able to process your order, your order total was $238.35....below the free shipping level.
We also make not of extra bulky or extra heavy shipments may require extra shipping.
YOu have two gallons, plus 4 32 oz items in your order.
Even if your order had everyting in it you ordered, we would have contacted you regarding the additional shipping based on weight, and bulkiness.

If you wish for us to cancel your order, we will do so. A refund will obviously be made to your Mastercard..

Michael"

Let me translate his response:

Yes, the free shipping was for orders over $300, but due to our incompetence, we double sold some items so your final order was actually under $300.

In addition, free shipping isn't really free either because although we never mention it on our website, we will charge you extra whenever we want if we feel the items are "bulky.

We think are customers are a bunch of idiots and should be satisfied with a "sale."

Here is his public rant on his forum

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/sh...t=6568&page=11

If anyone here ordered and hasn't gotten shipping confirmation yet then I'd suggest they do a chargeback right now. What a crappy way to do business. There is NO excuse for this.

Last edited by ceb; 07-01-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Appreciate 0