E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone familiar with Porsche Boxsters?

09-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #23
Rushall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d Coupe / Boxster S 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Great advice, thanks.

In fact the salesman in OPC Bolton was trying the old ' there is someone else wanting the car, but I am going to let you have first as you drove it yesterday' trick.

In fact when we came back from the test drive yesterday he disappeared to pick up some paperwork, when he came back he said he had just got off the phone with someone who wanted to put a deposit on the Boxster, and would buy subject to viewing. This morning on the phone he said that the chap was coming in to see it this afternoon - is this the oldest trick in the salesmans' book?

I ignored him on this point, if the car sells it sells, I will not be unduly pressurized into signed an order form just to 'beat' some (probably imaginary) second buyer!

I shall see what happens; I now know what I want and will wait until the perfect car comes along, at the right price, as someone said prices dip markedly in the Autumn.
Sounds like usual OPC intimidation tactics to me - experienced all this myself. His trick starts to come undone when you don't call him and he starts calling you.

Best approach is to let him phone you a couple more times then pop into the show room unannounced.... he'll be swallowing his tongue to get to you before any of his colleagues get their hands on you!

It's good sport in these uncertain times so enjoy!

One other thing, I'm sure you are but keep your eye on Pistonheads and Ebay. That's where I found mine. There are some pristine cars out there that only see the light of day at weekends. Also, keep an eye on 911virgin.com. They seem to be short of stock at the moment but I learned loads by keeping an eye on that site. Mainly 911's but still very helpful - don't hesitate to phone the lads there and ask them for advice. they helped me loads when I was researching.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I've had my Cayman S 9 months now and love it just as much now as when I picked it up. The howling motor behind your ear, sublime steering and feel - the 330d feels like an HGV in comparison.

I got mine from OPC Cambridge who were brilliant - paid just £29k for it with nav, 19's, Bose etc

I thought about a 911 but I wanted a sports car, not a GT - I get a fair bit of "cant afford a 911" which is weird, in fact the other day I replied to someone in a Corsa "cant afford an Astra?" which went down well.

OPC do some superb finance deals due to the good residuals - go for it, you wont look back,
      09-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #25
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
I've had my Cayman S 9 months now and love it just as much now as when I picked it up. The howling motor behind your ear, sublime steering and feel - the 330d feels like an HGV in comparison.

I got mine from OPC Cambridge who were brilliant - paid just £29k for it with nav, 19's, Bose etc

I thought about a 911 but I wanted a sports car, not a GT - I get a fair bit of "cant afford a 911" which is weird, in fact the other day I replied to someone in a Corsa "cant afford an Astra?" which went down well.

OPC do some superb finance deals due to the good residuals - go for it, you wont look back,
Great post and fantastic looking Cayman S. No expert, but that sounds like a hell of a good price for a high spec Cayman S. Thanks for the tip re finance deals.

Great quip to the 'chav in the Corsa'
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #26
ianmandlindaf
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 325d M Sport + DMS

I do love to read and hear people talk about Porsche ownership without ever having experienced it.
I owned a Carrera 2 cab for 20 months did 24k loved every minute of it and will more than likely get another.
I found the service and running costs pretty low, I would make sure that the 111 point check and a Porsche warranty are in place with anything you consider buying as most parts are arm and leg jobs.
I had a few Boxters as loan cars when mine was in for services and they where a enjoyable drive as well.

I would say don't listen to those who would try and put your choice of car down! go for what YOU want.

I hope that you enjoy whatever you decide on.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #27
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Mob - that is stunning. Great wheels too. LOL about the Corsa!

A LOT of keyboard warriors on the internet and their equivalents in real life. I got no end of stick from a load of Focus ST drivers on one message board (now given up on it) when I got the 335d, a load of stick from MG and mk2 GTi owners when I got the R32, etc, etc - it's one thing - jealousy - and it's very sad.

Only driven a Boxster (not a Cayman) but it only took a few miles to love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #28
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Been watching this topic with interest as I am still keen to pick up a 3.4s myself.

Noticed a few late 06 and early 2007 cars are dropping into the 25k category now, often with reasonable (20k ish) miles.

I found one which had PASM as well, which I am keen on, but it had no other spec.

Personally, I want sat nav, phone, Bose, iPod, PASM if I can get it plus a nice colour which is poss louder and less traditional than most - poss yellow or red.

Anyway, I reckon before long I might find one as it's just a case of waiting for the right car - peter, we shoul make sure we don't end up playing into someones hands by bidding for the same cars!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #29
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Been watching this topic with interest as I am still keen to pick up a 3.4s myself.

Noticed a few late 06 and early 2007 cars are dropping into the 25k category now, often with reasonable (20k ish) miles.

I found one which had PASM as well, which I am keen on, but it had no other spec.

Personally, I want sat nav, phone, Bose, iPod, PASM if I can get it plus a nice colour which is poss louder and less traditional than most - poss yellow or red.

Anyway, I reckon before long I might find one as it's just a case of waiting for the right car - peter, we shoul make sure we don't end up playing into someones hands by bidding for the same cars!!

Matt
Matt as your 18 stone do you actually fit comfortably in a boxster??? Its a serious question, as when i was heaviley into Bobybuilding in 2001 ish my then boss gave me his 3.2 for the weekend and it was really cramped??? i was mybe 16.5 stone at the time??
      09-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #30
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

BTW if porsche gave the boxster/cayman the engine range from the 911. the 911 wouldnt see which way they went.
      09-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #31
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
My uncle had to flog his Boxster because it was too tight a fit. He is a fat b4stard though.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #32
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
BTW if porsche gave the boxster/cayman the engine range from the 911. the 911 wouldnt see which way they went.
If you change the exhaust, plenum and remap it, 350bhp is easily acheivable

About £2.5 to £3k but then you've got close to Carrera S performance

Also, £10k gets you a TPC turbo conversion with 485bhp available

http://www.tpcracing.us/turbos/turbo...lable_now.html
      09-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #33
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Man from OPC Bolton keeps calling and leaving voicemails regarding their (lovely) Black Boxster S! Time to play hard to get, looks like the imaginary telephone buyer was just that !!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #34
Oil Burner
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 330d SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Matt as your 18 stone do you actually fit comfortably in a boxster??? Its a serious question, as when i was heaviley into Bobybuilding in 2001 ish my then boss gave me his 3.2 for the weekend and it was really cramped??? i was mybe 16.5 stone at the time??

had a boxster on an extended 4 day test drive, and tipping the scales at there or there aboutsd must admit I did find it fine, and the seats snug but figure holding rather than figure crushing was a fun car to drive, just not suitable for my commuting pattern
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #35
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
My commuting pattern is:

15 yard walk to the office.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #36
Oil Burner
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 330d SE Auto

now if I had that commute, then there would be a boxster sat on my drive
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #37
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The baby and dog might protest...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #38
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Steve, it was comfy if I remember correctly - I believe I found the z4m more so but it's been a month or two!!

Incidentally, know any decent rs4 cabs around? High spec and... Priced to sell!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #39
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Hugely capable cars that are very underrated. Cheap to run as well. Don't do it for me to be honest, but if I were in the market I'd definitely be buying the later model - small differences but make it look much better - imho of course!!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #40
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
The baby and dog might protest...
They'll be fine. Just toss a coin for who gets the seat or boot. Pop the 'boot' open & they'll be able to see where they're going too.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #41
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible

Boxter is about 10 years ahead of 335i in terms of sportiness. But I think it is over priced when loaded with options and very ugly.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #42
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
My two penneth:

Never owned a Boxster but have had two as loan cars, one a Boxster and the other a Boxster S - much preferred the Boxster S. Great fun as per the Cayman S but slightly less tortional rigidity, I prefer a solid roof but always personal choice.

Porsche warranties are 'perhaps' expensive £1,250 p.a. for the 2007 models, but worth the piece of mind? Whether or not with such a warranty you have to have the car serviced at an OPC or the very least a Porsche approved centre, I don't honestly know.

I've just got back from blasting about the Vosges mountains in the Alsace and have had the time of my life in the Porka!! BUT I actually turned to Steve at one point and said "bet the Cayman S would have been sublime along these VERY, VERY twisty mountain roads". As for this mis-guided opinion of a poor mans 911 - nah, sorry I've owned both and admittedly the 911 is a bit more refined overall as far as interior finish, daily driving and really long runs but a 911 engine in the Cayman/Boxster would upset many 911 owners imo!

Never had a problem with pushy salesmen or any b/s but maybe I've been lucky with Leeds OPC.

Last year I went to the Dordogne and Le Mans in the Cayman and journeys end arrived without backache or feeling tired. This journey in the 911 to Alsace and Stuttgart btw was probably quieter ie. exhaust note and slightly more relaxed drive but we are talking long distances here! I would say that in the Boxster/Cayman you may feel a small degree of engine heat transmitting into the cabin from the mid engine layout but nothing the A/C can't deal with. Tbh I only noticed it when I got the 911 and had to tweek the A/C slightly from having the Cayman - no big deal at all.

The overall package of these cars is what provides the driving satisfaction imo as they are so capable in many ways. Some may argue the Boxster S/Cayman S is down on power and yes, perhaps mid-range BUT the fun factor is STILL there in bucket loads and you can cover distances with a smile on your face - especially if you throw in some wonderful bends.

Maybe have one for the experience factor Peter?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #43
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
If you change the exhaust, plenum and remap it, 350bhp is easily acheivable

About £2.5 to £3k but then you've got close to Carrera S performance

Also, £10k gets you a TPC turbo conversion with 485bhp available

http://www.tpcracing.us/turbos/turbo...lable_now.html
MOB, can you hook me up with the reading material around the plenum etc upgrade please?

That would definately tip the scales towards me getting one!

Cheers
Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #44
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
My two penneth:

Never owned a Boxster but have had two as loan cars, one a Boxster and the other a Boxster S - much preferred the Boxster S. Great fun as per the Cayman S but slightly less tortional rigidity, I prefer a solid roof but always personal choice.

Porsche warranties are 'perhaps' expensive £1,250 p.a. for the 2007 models, but worth the piece of mind? Whether or not with such a warranty you have to have the car serviced at an OPC or the very least a Porsche approved centre, I don't honestly know.

I've just got back from blasting about the Vosges mountains in the Alsace and have had the time of my life in the Porka!! BUT I actually turned to Steve at one point and said "bet the Cayman S would have been sublime along these VERY, VERY twisty mountain roads". As for this mis-guided opinion of a poor mans 911 - nah, sorry I've owned both and admittedly the 911 is a bit more refined overall as far as interior finish, daily driving and really long runs but a 911 engine in the Cayman/Boxster would upset many 911 owners imo!

Never had a problem with pushy salesmen or any b/s but maybe I've been lucky with Leeds OPC.

Last year I went to the Dordogne and Le Mans in the Cayman and journeys end arrived without backache or feeling tired. This journey in the 911 to Alsace and Stuttgart btw was probably quieter ie. exhaust note and slightly more relaxed drive but we are talking long distances here! I would say that in the Boxster/Cayman you may feel a small degree of engine heat transmitting into the cabin from the mid engine layout but nothing the A/C can't deal with. Tbh I only noticed it when I got the 911 and had to tweek the A/C slightly from having the Cayman - no big deal at all.

The overall package of these cars is what provides the driving satisfaction imo as they are so capable in many ways. Some may argue the Boxster S/Cayman S is down on power and yes, perhaps mid-range BUT the fun factor is STILL there in bucket loads and you can cover distances with a smile on your face - especially if you throw in some wonderful bends.

Maybe have one for the experience factor Peter?

Great review!!! coming from a lady!
Appreciate 0