E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Sudden Acceleration

03-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #23
Conundrum68
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

No codes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
The posts by Alfazrus above in this thread, record shop having retrieved the following codes due to Accelerator Pedal Module faults:

P2138 | 2D20 | Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor 'D' 'E' Voltage Correlation
P2127 | 2D1C | Throttle Pedal Position Sensor 'E' Circuit Low

This condition CAN happen, and if the accelerator pedal module gave an implausible signal, that fault may appear in the DME memory, even if the condition only occurred for a second or two before impact & shutdown.

Hope your wife is OK and we ALL need to be aware that this is NOT a laughing matter.

Even though there are TWO sensors in the Pedal Module, and the DME compares their readings for implausibility, there ARE documented cases of faults in the Accelerator Pedal -- DME -- VVT sytem which cause UNINTENDED RPM increase, and if that happens unexpectedly in a tight situation (pulling into a parking spot), an unsuspecting operator may NOT apply Brake hard enough or quickly enough to avoid a collision.

Please let us know the outcome,
George
I went to the shop today and used my somewhat primitive code reader and there are zero codes stored. I explained the situation to the shop and he said he would let me know if they pull any codes out with their more sophisticated reader.
We checked and there are no security cameras at her work, so that's not going to help.
She is sore but otherwise fine, thank you.
I'm sure the shop will do a fine job of repairing the car. It only has like 44k miles on it, even though it is a 2008. But can we trust the car now? No clue.
Should I pre-emptively replace the throttle sensors? No clue. Bad situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #24
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

These cars are not brake-by-wire, so any braking efforts—especially panick braking—would certainly have outweighed even a WOT condition.

Glad no one was hurt though. I know this isn’t a 747, but with all the tech in these cars it may be possible to retrieve info on whether the brake was indeed applied prior to the collision. Not sure if this is something we as end users could ever see though.
      03-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #25
Conundrum68
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
These cars are not brake-by-wire, so any braking efforts—especially panick braking—would certainly have outweighed even a WOT condition.

Glad no one was hurt though. I know this isn’t a 747, but with all the tech in these cars it may be possible to retrieve info on whether the brake was indeed applied prior to the collision. Not sure if this is something we as end users could ever see though.
Yes, the prospect of a malfunctioning car or a malfunctioning wife are both concerning....
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2482.50
      03-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #26
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum68 View Post
I went to the shop today and used my somewhat primitive code reader and there are zero codes stored. I explained the situation to the shop and he said he would let me know if they pull any codes out with their more sophisticated reader...Should I pre-emptively replace the throttle sensors? No clue. Bad situation.
If the "shop" has INPA or ISTA, even if there are NO codes, they can test Voltage output of the two sensors in the Accelerator Pedal module at various pedal positions, engine off, ignition on, and get some idea of the health of that module. Same for other components of the VVT system.

Please let us know what you/they find,
George
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #27
sadams69
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Engine acceleration while braking

Just providing another data point for engine acceleration while braking.

2014 BMW 328i

While decelerating to stop at a stop light, I noticed that it was harder than expected to get the car to stop. As I let up a little on the brake, I started accelerating toward the car in front of me. I reapplied the brake harder and was able to stop without too much problem, but I knew that I was fighting the engine. I tried putting the car in park and the engine raced up to about 4.5k. Next I just hit the off button and my hazards.

I turned the car back on and was able to drive away without issue. No lights or codes were obvious, but I was mostly focused on safely exiting the intersection.

Obviously, I do not believe that I was hitting both the gas and brake at the same time. I have over thirty years of driving experience without an accident.

Planning on taking the car into the shop soon but thought I would check on the history of this issue. Mostly I worry about this issue because both my son and my wife drive the car from time to time. No need to add to the difficulty level in driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:50 PM   #28
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

File a complaint at NHTSA too.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:42 PM   #29
TravelMama19
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelimit View Post
My wife borrowed my 2008 328i the other day. As she was pulling into a parking spot, the car started to accelerate. She then pressed the brake pedal and the car went faster. The car stopped by hitting the car in front of her.

No one was hurt. No damage to the car she hit. But there is enough damage to my car so that the insurance company is deciding whether it has been totaled.

I have found plenty of sites detailing BMW sudden acceleration problems. BMW claims that they have a brake pedal override. The driver I almost never believed.

Has anyone had a similar problem with this model?
I have a 2012 BMW 328ix and this morning as I was leaving for work, I started my car put the car in reverse because I would’ve had to back out to get out my driveway and the very second I took the car out of park the car accelerated, ran through my fence and the brakes completely failed and locked up!!! I did not press the gas!!!!!!!! The foot was literally still on the brake, shifting from park to reverse and again, as soon I took the car out of park it accelerated I didn’t stand a chance of it even getting to reverse. It was beyond scary and damaged my fence. I turned the car off while it was accelerating and it continued to accelerate until the utility box in my neighbors yard stopped it. I am so traumatized and I was so scared!!! Will not be driving the car anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 08:36 PM   #30
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Dude Toyota is on top of the car world.. like truly on top. Toyota can do everything that BMW can but better. How ? They have way more money. How ? They have way more sales. How ? They do things right.
When did this happen by your estimation?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:24 PM   #31
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelimit View Post
My wife borrowed my 2008 328i the other day. As she was pulling into a parking spot, the car started to accelerate. She then pressed the brake pedal and the car went faster. The car stopped by hitting the car in front of her.

No one was hurt. No damage to the car she hit. But there is enough damage to my car so that the insurance company is deciding whether it has been totaled.

I have found plenty of sites detailing BMW sudden acceleration problems. BMW claims that they have a brake pedal override. The driver I almost never believed.

Has anyone had a similar problem with this model?
Unintended acceleration surge is a reported symptom of code P2127.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:45 PM   #32
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
So changing the accelerator pedal fixed the problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 10:49 PM   #33
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama19 View Post
I have a 2012 BMW 328ix and this morning as I was leaving for work, I started my car put the car in reverse because I would’ve had to back out to get out my driveway and the very second I took the car out of park the car accelerated, ran through my fence and the brakes completely failed and locked up!!! I did not press the gas!!!!!!!! The foot was literally still on the brake...
Please have someone with proper Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) Read Fault Codes in ALL Modules, but particularly DME (Engine), EGS (Automatic Transmission), DSC/DXC (Stability Control & ABS), VGSG/VTG (Tramsfer Case). and REPORT those codes here.

Do NOT start engine. Just turn ignition ON (Press START Button WITHOUT pressing Brake Pedal. Simply read Codes with Ignition ON. ALSO take photo of Instrument Cluster, showing any Warning lights remaining on after Ignition has been on for 10 seconds (Driver Door Closed).

If there were any performance issues, Warning Lights, etc. the LAST time you drove vehicle BEFORE this incident, please describe in DETAIL.

Thanks. We will help, and your information will help US.
George
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 05:48 PM   #34
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
It does have that function:

Appreciate 0