E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i coupe taken to track anyone??

03-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
I edited the list for you.
someone should forward that revised list to S4to335.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #24
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Is anyone getting any work done today?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #25
satakal
Major
Rep

yes

Edit: but not much

Last edited by satakal; 03-12-2009 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: honesty
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #26
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Near the top, I'd put "brake fluid flush" in there, but that's really a maintenance item.

Stick some ATE Type 200 in there annually and you'll be good for a year. Don't use ATE Blue as the dealers get all finicky about it since the blue tint is not DOT approved.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #27
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
yes

Edit: but not much
Try nada for me... I wanna get out of here.. Not in the mood to get any work done today
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
But wouldn't modding the dedicated track car follow the list I provided?
I guess it depends what the car is.

random thought: instructor at a motorcycle track day told me not bother changing anything about the bike until my laptimes were extremely consistent. and at that point the appropriate change is to get a faster bike. i think his exact words were "why bother modifying when you can get something faster and sorted by someone a lot smarter than you for less money. you're learning how to ride not to wrench right?"

thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #29
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

random thought: instructor at a motorcycle track day told me not bother changing anything about the bike until my laptimes were extremely consistent. and at that point the appropriate change is to get a faster bike. i think his exact words were "why bother modifying when you can get something faster and sorted by someone a lot smarter than you for less money. you're learning how to ride not to wrench right?"

thoughts on this?
Motorcycle, especially sportbike, is generally designed to be sharp. No one buys a Gixxer expecting luxury in their quest to ride around the world.

A car, generally, is not as focused. People buy a Ferrari but want heated seats. There are compromises made because there ARE people who buy a Ferrari to commute to work. Actually, probably more than those who use it as it was intended to be used.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #30
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac328 View Post
Hi I am thinking of taking my 08 335i coupe to ThunderHill, but I seeing that lots of people are getting issues. Has anyone else encountered issues while at the track?

Don't do it. You car will explode!
      03-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #31
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

thoughts on this?
Very similar to what I overheard at a track event.

"If you can't go fast with 200 hp, what makes you think another 100 is going to do you any good?"

I've gone down this EXACT path. Started with an E46 323Ci. About as slow-@ss a car as you can expect from the BMW line-up. Got fairly consistent (but not entirely fast) until an accident with a huge pothole during a freak So. Cal rainstorm destroyed the front end. Then got a Nissan 350Z and put just about everything under the sun on it. Intake. Exhaust. Headers. Software. Coil-overs. Big brakes. R-comps. Big sway bars. You name it. The car has it. Proceed for the next year to NOT make any progress, and in fact, the entire year I did not go through a single event without either spinning the car and/or going 4 wheel off track. Why? The car was CONSTANTLY being tinkered with and more stuff added to try and fix what wasn't working, but all the while, what wasn't working wasn't the car. It was the DRIVER. At ever event there's something different about the car...Brakes, exhaust, tires, whatever that was added since the last school and I end up spending the entire weekend re-learning the car, not the skills required to go fast.

I would like to offer a different perspective. Don't do anything to your car. Drive it until your lap times are consistent like a metronome. Then get a SLOWER car and drive that car until you start to get the same times you were getting in your faster car. Then hop back into your faster car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #32
e90southfl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Don't do it. You car will explode!
So negative, just because you have a lemon Bubbles doesn't mean you have to scare people away from track days! I ran two full track days this weekend pushing the car very hard with the only issue being I wore down the brakes and all the brake sensors...opps...next time I have to call it a day a few laps sooner. Well it made for an interesting ride home!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #33
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

All good points, my car is stock so I do agree with that argument.
One valid thing to change though is the tires, they are too expensive to wear down in a couple of sessions and cannot be rotated.. + all the understeer as a result of the stagerred setup.. Hence my only mod so far: Square setup for the track
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #34
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:

Tracks are also different, for example on the ROVAL CA speedway, you shouldn't have much of an issue cuz the long oval portion allows the oil temps to drop a bit with more speed and more air flow...
Really? Every 335 was pushing 290 or limping. Had a tuffer time with temps/limps on the ROVAL than the interior course. (and it was a higher ambient temp during the interior course track day).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:16 AM   #35
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90southfl View Post
So negative, just because you have a DINAN tune Bubbles doesn't mean you have to scare people away from track days! I ran two full track days this weekend pushing the car very hard with the only issue being I wore down the brakes and all the brake sensors...opps...next time I have to call it a day a few laps sooner. Well it made for an interesting ride home!!!
Correction noted...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #36
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90southfl View Post
So negative, just because you have a lemon Bubbles doesn't mean you have to scare people away from track days! I ran two full track days this weekend pushing the car very hard with the only issue being I wore down the brakes and all the brake sensors...opps...next time I have to call it a day a few laps sooner. Well it made for an interesting ride home!!!
I see you are throwing out a proactive excuse for the next event.
      03-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #37
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Correction noted...
What took you so long?
      03-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #38
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Really? Every 335 was pushing 290 or limping. Had a tuffer time with temps/limps on the ROVAL than the interior course. (and it was a higher ambient temp during the interior course track day).
Guessing those guy's were running JB.

With my experience, high temps and limp are optional. Most the time, they're hard to achieve.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #39
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
I believe you but that was not my expererience and it does not make sense.. Shouldn't higher speed allow more air and help cool the engine and brakes?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #40
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
I believe you but that was not my expererience and it does not make sense.. Shouldn't higher speed allow more air and help cool the engine and brakes?
yes and no. Don't forget how full throttle that place is. "if you're not stopping, you're going." WOT = heat in brakes and under the hood.

just an aside: 4 sessions at the roval was 1 tank of gas. 4 at infineon was between a 1/2 and 3/4 tank.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #41
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Tracks are also different, for example on the ROVAL CA speedway, you shouldn't have much of an issue cuz the long oval portion allows the oil temps to drop a bit with more speed and more air flow...
Problem with California, er, Triple A Speedway, is the infield portion after turn 9 (the decreasing radius 180 degrees hairpin) is full throttle starting in 2nd gear. Car's not moving fast enough for the first 1/3rd of the "straight" and by the time you go fast enough for the car to start cooling down, you're back on the brakes again. All the limp mode I witnessed happened right after that straight in the infield.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #42
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't push as hard as you guys.. maybe that's why I had lower temps at the roval than at Buttonwillow.. But then again Buttonwillow was August with 110 degrees.. It was asking for trouble..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #43
blipblip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 2008 M6

I have not had any limp mode issue. But lately, the car feels odd, shivering during idle, and don't accelerate smoothly from stop...fuel pump going out?

Anyways, I started to regret just a bit on this purchase. Having to baby the car and constantly worry about high oil temp is no fun on track...I am thinking of moving on to an M3, but I guess its impossible to get rid of this car at a reasonable price in this economy...
      03-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #44
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipblip View Post
I have not had any limp mode issue. But lately, the car feels odd, shivering during idle, and don't accelerate smoothly from stop...fuel pump going out?

Anyways, I started to regret just a bit on this purchase. Having to baby the car and constantly worry about high oil temp is no fun on track...I am thinking of moving on to an M3, but I guess its impossible to get rid of this car at a reasonable price in this economy...
I have heard this a lot and agree. Here's my perspective whether you want it or not:
  1. Amazing car in that it's almost a perfect balance of sport, luxury, technology, style and practicality.
  2. It looks really cool IMHO, especially a coupe in anthracite with anthracite wheels
  3. It's crazy fast
  4. We decided to make it a serious track car not BMW
  5. An after market oil cooler really helps or even cures the issues and is not hugely expensive
  6. Most of us are early adopters and there's always a danger in that: HPFP, Oil Cooler, Turbo Waste Gate issue, etc.
  7. It got me into tracking and it seems a lot of others because it's so good you just wanna drive and it's crazy fast
  8. The car it replaced doesn't overheat but I have yet to encounter a 330i that even starts to come close, on the track. You could drive it at 330i speed and it would never overheat
  9. BMW never said you can keep up with a Z06, F430, Race Car, GT3, etc. That's our choice to try

I'm not trying to be a naysayer cause I get frustrated too. But I do think it's important to step back and realize what we're asking this touring car to do.

I LOVE MY CAR
Ps. I do wish it came with the cooling it should have from the factory
Pss. no mods beside suspension and wheels and I have never seen limp mode. Maybe I'm not going fast enough
Psss. I do get frustrated when I have to back off because it's getting close to 290
Appreciate 0