E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Which oil for 335i

06-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Well def not 15K unless u've bought BMWs marketing hype.
+1. I go with 6K mile OCI myself.

Also.... what ever oil you DO use... make sure it says: "BMW Long Life 1" (for cars in North America). IF it does not say that.... then you should not use it. I wouldn't be to concerned over oil weight(s). Just make sure it says "BMW LL-1".

The only Mobil-1 oil that carries this BMW LL-1 rating is their european blend, 0w40.

I prefer to use the Castrol oil myself, because I feel the engine runs cooler and runs quieter on cold starts.

You can purchase the correct oil thru BMW's online shops like Tischer or United. I would also only use a BMW oil filter as well.

AND.... for people in Europe... you need to use "BMW Long Life 4" rated oil, because of the low/no sulfur in the fuels over here. In NA you have high sulfur fuel so you need to use LL1 in NA.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Until someone produces objective, scientific test data to prove the need to change your oil more often than BMW states, you'd be wise to follow their mandates. BMW doesn't guess they actually test, so they know what the proper oils and OCIs are. BMW puts their money where their mouth and test data is by backing their CBS OCIs with a 50K-100K new vehicle warranty.
I just spoke with the VP of technical developement at BG..heard of em?

http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

I had called about the BG-44K fuel cleaner which i just put in today and we got to talking.

They know more about oil, and fuel additives then anyone on this forum. They DO NOT sell any type of engine oil, only additives and treatments for fuel/oil

He told me and I quote, "Anyone that follows BMW maintanance plan on oil or spark plugs is taking a huge gamble with their engines"..

This is a man whose sole job is to test, and scientifcally analyze oil and fuel, in addition to how their additives affect oil and fuel. His opinion is completly neutral unlike BMWs. ..and he owns a BMW to boot.

So if u wanna chance it go w the 15K ..if u guys have some common sense and dont mind spending $80-100 go every six months/5000-7500 miles..which ever comes first. Then u will have bought urself peace of mind at a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Until someone produces objective, scientific test data to prove the need to change your oil more often than BMW states, you'd be wise to follow their mandates. BMW doesn't guess they actually test, so they know what the proper oils and OCIs are. BMW puts their money where their mouth and test data is by backing their CBS OCIs with a 50K-100K new vehicle warranty.
Completely wrong. BMW doesn't test oil. At the end of the assembly line there is a dartboard. As the cars reach the end of the line, the janitor tosses a dart. The board is marked with 10k, 12k, 15k and 17k.

THAT is what determines the OCI for each individual car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #26
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Im not using an oil additive im using their fuel system cleaner..BMW recommends every 5K miles, their own which is nothing more than BMW branded techron at 2x price of regular techron..more rapeage..U did know this right?

I will concede ur point yes they do sell oil..but have nothing vested and are objective unlike BMW.

I think we've heard both arguments and its up to each individual to decide whats right for them

Every 15k as BMW says...or every 5K-7.5K as i and other non-BMW technicals suggest in the end its up to each individual..

And I would hardly call the VP of technical development an "uniformed person"..

If you are trying to live up to your mission statement than please give people the respect they deserve.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #27
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Im not using an oil additive im using their fuel system cleaner..BMW recommends every 5K miles, their own which is nothing more than BMW branded techron at 2x price of regular techron..more rapeage..U did know this right?

I will concede ur point yes they do sell oil..but have nothing vested and are objective unlike BMW.

I think we've heard both arguments and its up to each individual to decide whats right for them

Every 15k as BMW says...or every 5K-7.5K as i and other non-BMW technicals suggest in the end its up to each individual..

And I would hardly call the VP of technical development an "uniformed person"..

If you are trying to live up to your mission statement than please give people the respect they deserve.
Anybody can hang up a shingle and call themselves the "VP of the universe."

We know that amSOIL is not on the BMW approved list, yet the VP of amSOIL "recommends" it and infers that it meets BMW specs when we know that amSOIL doesn't know what the testing procedures are.

Should I respect him?

I'm the VP of testing at a major oil company. I'm telling you that we are losing money on every gallon of gas we sell. Do I deserve respect?

The BG guy knows nothing about BMW LL-01 oil, so he doesn't deserve any "respect."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

The msg wasnt addressed to u but thx for ur input,

we r not even talking about LL01..lol

Catch up w the thread guy.
Appreciate 0