E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Advice on battery replacement for E90

01-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #45
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Not registering it will cause the vehicle to overcharge it because it still thinks the old battery is in there. These cars have a very intelligent charging system... You may not see any short term effects, but it will cut the battery life in the end.
Guys i will repeate myself one more time. ACID LEAD BATTERIES DO NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION. ONLY AGM KIND DO. SO WHITE COLOR BATTERIES ARE ACID LEAD. BLACK BATTERIES ARE AGM.

YOUR WELCOME
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #46
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Not registering it will cause the vehicle to overcharge it because it still thinks the old battery is in there. These cars have a very intelligent charging system... You may not see any short term effects, but it will cut the battery life in the end.
Guys i will repeate myself one more time. ACID LEAD BATTERIES DO NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION. ONLY AGM KIND DO. SO WHITE COLOR BATTERIES ARE ACID LEAD. BLACK BATTERIES ARE AGM.

YOUR WELCOME
Based on what?
      01-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #47
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post

YOUR WELCOME
I had no idea about this until now. So I'm glad you told us this.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #48
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

This is a good article on what is needed when replacing a battery and why.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/replac...ous-1681775778

The Carly app will let you merely register a like for like battery change or you can do what I did and change from a lead acid to an AGM battery and program and register.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 01-08-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #49
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
This is a good article on what is needed when replacing a battery and why.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/replac...ous-1681775778

The Carly app will let you merely register a like for like battery change or you can do what I did and change from a lead acid to an AGM battery and program and register.
Thanks for the link. Shows that GoRomeo doesn't know WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. I have read this same info on many other sites, and also in posts from certified BMW mechanics.

Which AGM did you end up buying? - The lead acid battery I replaced 2 years ago is now showing signs of weakening, and I need to replace it. I do wonder if this is due to the battery capacity being about 10% higher than OEM, and the charging rate not being an exact match.
      01-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #50
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I went with this: DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery - Group Size 49
It is rated at 92ah, but the carly app had 90ah as the closest setting so I used that. Been just a little over a year now, so obvioulsy too early to know long term success, but everything has been flawless so far.

Works great for extended DSP tuning sessions!
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 01-09-2016 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #51
Wolfgang Schneiderhan
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i (E90/N51)

As the battery ages, it's storage capacity (Ampere Hours) becomes gradually diminished. The car keeps track of this and adjusts the charging profile accordingly. A new battery should be registered as that will ensure it receives a full charge at the maximum safe current. I'm sure we can notice plenty of examples of people who have changed the battery and not registered it, with no ill effects. It certainly is possible. However, I recommend registering a new battery for the aforementioned reason.

Worth noting, if the new battery is not receiving a full charge (because it was not registered), its useful service life may be shortened as well. On a flooded lead-acid battery I would think that under-charging is almost worse than over-charging, as with the latter, the electrolyte will simply boil off if gassing occurs.

If you want to save some money buy a battery from Auto Zone (or wherever you like) and install it, and have your local indy shop register it. It should be no more than about $50 and well worth the money.
      01-09-2016, 12:53 AM   #52
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Thanks for the link. Shows that GoRomeo doesn't know WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. I have read this same info on many other sites, and also in posts from certified BMW mechanics.

Which AGM did you end up buying? - The lead acid battery I replaced 2 years ago is now showing signs of weakening, and I need to replace it. I do wonder if this is due to the battery capacity being about 10% higher than OEM, and the charging rate not being an exact match.
Thats ur issue. Different specs equals needing coding and registering. Of course i know what im talking about

I replaced mine 4 yrs ago same specs even though part # is different due to being replaced with battery with more CCA. No inpact on the car. Just an FYI. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 02:58 AM   #53
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

I've got a fully loaded 2011 335i sedan with the HK audio option. Which Diehard battery fits best for my car… ?

I already know how many CCA & AH figure I need to match the factory unit. But I keep getting the "increased battery discharge" on my display & need to do this quickly.

Everyone says Group size 49. But all cars are different depending on the year it was built & what options is comes equipped with.
Appreciate 0