E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Retrofited E9X Steptronic Gear shifter

02-26-2017, 11:15 AM   #683
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

I have no free time lately to do a full install but I managed to shoot this unboxing video!

In it I show

1. How EASY installation is. I install it in under 8 minutes whiles holding my cellphone shooting this video and talking. Of course I didn't cut the stalk yet.

2. How it is virtually impossible to shift your car into the wrong gear after installation.

3. How quality looking the kit is! These guys have truly produced something GREAT!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #684
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
you can't reverse the process. and I'm not sure actually.

i have two shifter assembly modules. the one is cut i am taking it out and replacing my original one in..about 10min work with adjusting from underneath the car.
If you are talking about removing/replacing the entire shift mechanism - no way on this planet that it takes 10min

Been there, done that - entire front console needs to be removed to R&R the shift mechanism & the car needs to be up off the ground enough for you to get underneath to R&R the shift cable, which also entails removing some heat shielding
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #685
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Quote:
you can't reverse the process. and I'm not sure actually.

i have two shifter assembly modules. the one is cut i am taking it out and replacing my original one in..about 10min work with adjusting from underneath the car.
If you are talking about removing/replacing the entire shift mechanism - no way on this planet that it takes 10min

Been there, done that - entire front console needs to be removed to R&R the shift mechanism & the car needs to be up off the ground enough for you to get underneath to R&R the shift cable, which also entails removing some heat shielding
I have also been there and done it. You can remove the assembly from just removing the center console trim. And three hex screws after that it's all unplugging and disconnecting from underneath the car.

Your approach may have been different but I was in and out the shop quick.

No need to remove the whole center console assembly

And the heat shield below the car is no big deal at least for my car.

Of course everyone's mileage will vary...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #686
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Talking

Quote:
I have also been there and done it. You can remove the assembly from just removing the center console trim. And three hex screws after that it's all unplugging and disconnecting from underneath the car.

I have a strong feeling xDrive may determine how easy or hard the shifter assembly will be replaced.

XDrive vehicles seem to have a different shifter assembly p/n.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #687
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Not sure if anyone is monitoring this thread...I realized a few peculiarities on Motive Mod's DCT shifter knob assembly. Things that I did not remember the last time I was retrofitting this style knob into my E46.

On the inside neck of the knob, about an inch and a half from the opening, there are two 'holding' fins that jut out at a strange angles inside the neck. The fins are not in line with the knob. So if you were to place the knob face up on a flat surface with the LED face up then the fins on the inside of the neck would not line up straight vertical of flat horizontal BUT at 45 degree angles to the horizontal plane. See picture below:

In addition and more importantly the roof inside the hollow neck that slides over the assembly stalk is NOT flat but sloped. So even if you were to delete the fin nubs and cut straight across like the retrofit instructions recommend you would loose about 1/5 and inch extra space since the edge of the cut stalk would be limited from passing the lower end of the slope roof.

I think to do this right we should be making a sloped cut off the top of the stalk so the knob sits all the way down from it's neck opening to the roof on the stalk.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #688
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I have a strong feeling xDrive may determine how easy or hard the shifter assembly will be replaced.

XDrive vehicles seem to have a different shifter assembly p/n.
There definitely must be a difference between xdrive then because there is cross bracing and ledges of the plastic front console that completely surround & go over top of the shifter mechanism. Yes, I can get to the (3) bolts for the shifter & remove them, but still can't get the shifter out of the car until the console is removed from on top of shifter - most I can do is rock shifter back n forth.

Believe me, I wouldn't have removed the entire front console (and because it's an E92 this means removing the rear seat bottoms + rear console ) if it wasn't necessary. Guess I could have dremeled all that bracing off to allow the shifter to come out without removal, but I wasn't about to do that

Too bad I didn't take any pics, but most of what this guy did in this video is what I had to do (don't know why he removed the rear seat bolsters & seat backs - that was definitely not necessary) He was working on E93, but my E92 was same. I tried removing shifter after simply removing the trim - no way it was gonna happen (frankly I expected nothing less from BMW )

After watching that you'll see why didn't I believe 10min - your car must be different if so
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #689
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

90% of that video was him navigating around that dirty messy cabin and struggling to remove the armrest console. Lol

That would be the easy part for me because I have a sedan and I've been removing armrest consoles on a number of 3 series so I know all the tricks. I thought you meant the entire dash console and armrest console when you first said the "entire" console had to be removed.

My fear is access under the car on xDrive sedans will be vastly more challenging. But there is no way this is more that 1 hour of shop labour when done by professional mechanics with all the power tools and gizmos.

Quote:
There definitely must be a difference between xdrive then because there is cross bracing and ledges of the plastic front console that completely surround & go over top of the shifter mechanism. Yes, I can get to the (3) bolts for the shifter & remove them, but still can't get the shifter out of the car until the console is removed from on top of shifter - most I can do is rock shifter back n forth.

Believe me, I wouldn't have removed the entire front console (and because it's an E92 this means removing the rear seat bottoms + rear console ) if it wasn't necessary. Guess I could have dremeled all that bracing off to allow the shifter to come out without removal, but I wasn't about to do that

Too bad I didn't take any pics, but most of what this guy did in this video is what I had to do (don't know why he removed the rear seat bolsters & seat backs - that was definitely not necessary) He was working on E93, but my E92 was same. I tried removing shifter after simply removing the trim - no way it was gonna happen (frankly I expected nothing less from BMW )

After watching that you'll see why didn't I believe 10min - your car must be different if so
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #690
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Some Installation Concerns and Tips! I'm working on this so that it can be...

1. Reversible without having to remove and replace your shifter assembly.

2. Made to sit as low and as OEM as possible AND be very secure!

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 06:11 AM   #691
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, sorry bout the vid with the dufus - it was the only one I could find that included all the detail & work to R&R the shifter
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #692
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, sorry bout the vid with the dufus - it was the only one I could find that included all the detail & work to R&R the shifter
No worries!
Thanks for sharing.

When I do my DIY write up/video I will be sure to mention the difficulties of replacing the shifter assembly. It definitely is not a 10 minute job and the expense, difficulties and ease all depends on what car you have.

Last edited by delmarco; 02-28-2017 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #693
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

The Sawzall and Dremel SawMax was a little too big and too much to get in the car. So I am going to cut the stalk at an angle using a Dremel 4000 and metal cutting bit.

I may also create indentations in the stalk to line up with the fins inside the shifter so that it locks the shifter in place and prevents any spinning.

I also need to figure if I should hose clamp it or screw it in place to lock it in place.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:32 PM   #694
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

This is purely theoretical, but it might be possible to get the shifter to work like it's meant to (electronic, self centering, etc) if you use the the E60 mechatronics and sports auto flash along with the DCT GWS module + shifter.

This is the E60 Sports Auto setup - pretty similar to the E90 DCT setup:

The transmissions are both GA6HP19Z/21 units. Main difference seems to be in the mechatronics. E60 is setup to shift electronically, while E90 still has the mechanical linkage.

Probably more expensive than it's worth, but I think it would be doable.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #695
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Or you can source a unit from another E90.
The 2011 to 2013 335is E90 coupes/convertible in North America
have the DCT shifter as standard.

And DCT shifters and transmission seem to have been a rare sports package
option on all European market E90 sedans, verts and
coupes as early as 2008.

It would be a physical direct transplant with lots of coding involved.

Yeah maybe too costly for the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
This is purely theoretical, but it might be possible to get the shifter to work like it's meant to (electronic, self centering, etc) if you use the the E60 mechatronics and sports auto flash along with the DCT GWS module + shifter.

This is the E60 Sports Auto setup - pretty similar to the E90 DCT setup:

The transmissions are both GA6HP19Z/21 units. Main difference seems to be in the mechatronics. E60 is setup to shift electronically, while E90 still has the mechanical linkage.

Probably more expensive than it's worth, but I think it would be doable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #696
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

I'm not saying to grab the actual shifter from the E60 - that picture was just to show that an E60 automatic uses essentially the same shifter setup.

I'm saying to get the mechatronics from the E60 transmission (which would control the transmission electronically) in conjunction with the E90 DCT shifter assembly, so that you can use the shifter as intended, rather than just as a cosmetic modification stuck on the mechanical linkage. And you'd have a functional sport mode too with the right software.

Or you can go the full way and retrofit the DCT I guess.

Last edited by Terraphantm; 03-15-2017 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #697
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh okay I got ya!

The reason I mentioned the E90 335is is because the size and shape of the anything on that car should match up with other E90s better than an E60 transplant.

I would transplant the entire transmission from the dct shifter to shifter assembly unit and transmission unit.

It should work up to be similar costs and labour to a steptronic to manual tranny swap.

But yeah you are right it possible could be done where you fit in the DCT assembly and wire it to the non-DCT transmission and code the thing to work. As you see below the same cable goes from the assembly to the transmission on the DCT as it does on the nonDCT steptronic assembly.

It almost looks like it could be plug and play!

Quote:
I'm not saying to grab the actual shifter from the E60 - that picture was just to show that an E60 automatic uses essentially the same shifter setup.

I'm saying to get the mechatronics from the E60 transmission (which would control the transmission electronically) in conjunction with the E90 DCT shifter assembly, so that you can use the shifter as intended, rather than just as a cosmetic modification stuck on the mechanical linkage. And you'd have a functional sport mode too with the right software.

Or you can go the full way and retrofit the DCT I guess.
Attached Images

Last edited by delmarco; 03-15-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #698
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

That cable is just the emergency parking release. The actual control is done entirely over the CAN-bus for the cars with the electronic shifters.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #699
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
That cable is just the emergency parking release. The actual control is done entirely over the CAN-bus for the cars with the electronic shifters.
Terra...as always you have the most astute insight into everything retrofit related! We are lucky to have members like you and I am glad you drive BMWs and not AUDIs.

Oh yeah...lots of coding there. The E90 can be coder's nightmare from what I heard when I was researching how to complete a simple rear deck electric sunshade retrofit.

But I think the physical-only retrofit still looks good when done right.

This is one of those DIYs that is so easy to complete that 90% of folks doing it don't really finesse it like these two guys in the videos below.

It's more than just cutting the stalk and plugging in wires. You have to get that cut just right like a tailored suit.

I also like the physical movement and notching as gears lock into place on the steptronic shifter mechanism.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #700
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

BTW
BMW has changed the Steptronic DCT shifter design for some of the 2017/2018 model cars

So they all have that giraffe look almost like this retrofit-mod done half ass! strange!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 02:19 AM   #701
NightStalker
Rep

Help me sell my kit

I'm reversing back to stock
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #702
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
Help me sell my kit

You leased your car? Or selling it?

If it is a lease I don't think they check to see if the original shifter is on the car.

The dealership's leasing company usually sends a random non-BMW inspection guy to check the car for dents and damage. They rarely look at or understand any minor modifications. If you are trying to return a 328i repainted neon pink on 22 inch rims with a massive JDM spoiler wing, and lambo doors then they will have to ask you about that but a stock BMW shifter from another E90 BMW in an E90 BMW should not cause you any lease-return issues. As long as the car shifts gears without issue and the DCT knob isn't swiveling and loose then you should be fine.

I've leased four Mercedes Benz vehicles over the last 10 years and each time at the end of the lease they sent a non-Benz tech guy over to our house to do the visual inspection. Any thing smaller than a credit card is ignored in terms of damage.

He looks inside the car to make sure the door panels, steering wheel and seats aren't cut up or missing. He starts the car with all the original keys (make sure you have your keys because they don't like when you loose keys and will bill you for missing keys) to make sure the car works. They also do technical checks to see if any repainting and glass replacement took place and that is it. I think once the guy may have looked under the hood and in the trunk but they don't even do that much.

After the lease ends your car does not go back to the BMW dealership. They have no further interest in your car other than getting rid of it . Your car will most likely go to a dealership's private auction house to get auctioned off to second hand dealerships. Which is why sometimes you see a leased car's Carfax Report as having several owners if the auction house has the car for a period of time even though obviously one person owned and drove the car before you purchased it.

After your lease agreement is signed off you are no longer resposible for the car. Sure someone down the line may realize your DCT shifter mod is in there but at that point none of that should be tracked back to you.

So if you are doing a lease return then or even if you are doing a dealership trade in (Where your car goes thru the same scrutiny as a lease return) then I won't worry about taking the DCT shifter out unless your installation looks half-done and obvious.

lol

Last edited by delmarco; 03-16-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #703
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Help me sell my kit

If it is a lease I don't think they check to see if the original shifter is on the car.

The dealership's leasing company usually sends a random non-BMW inspection guy to check the car for dents and damage. They rarely look at or understand any minor modifications. If you are trying to return a 328i repainted neon pink on 22 inch rims with a massive JDM spoiler wing, and lambo doors then they will have to ask you about that but a stock BMW shifter from another E90 BMW in an E90 BMW should not cause you any lease-return issues. As long as the car shifts gears without issue and the DCT knob isn't swiveling and loose then you should be fine.

I've leased four Mercedes Benz vehicles over the last 10 years and each time at the end of the lease they sent a non-Benz tech guy over to our house to do the visual inspection. Any thing smaller than a credit card is ignored in terms of damage.

He looks inside the car to make sure the door panels, steering wheel and seats aren't cut up or missing. He starts the car with all the original keys (make sure you have your keys because they don't like when you loose keys and will bill you for missing keys) to make sure the car works. They also do technical checks to see if any repainting and glass replacement took place and that is it. I think once the guy may have looked under the hood and in the trunk but they don't even do that much.

After the lease ends your car does not go back to the BMW dealership. They have no further interest in your car other than getting rid of it . Your car will most likely go to a dealership's private auction house to get auctioned off to second hand dealerships. Which is why sometimes you see a leased car's Carfax Report as having several owners if the auction house has the car for a period of time even though obviously one person owned and drove the car before you purchased it.

After your lease agreement is signed off you are no longer resposible for the car. Sure someone down the line may realize your DCT shifter mod is in there but at that point none of that should be tracked back to you.

So if you are doing a lease return then or even if you are doing a dealership trade in (Where your car goes thru the same scrutiny as a lease return) then I won't worry about taking the DCT shifter out unless your installation looks half-done and obvious.

lol
No that's not the point. I want to sell my kit in general lol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #704
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Quote:
Help me sell my kit

lol
I think this statement is 100% accurate. However the shifter will not function as it does on the lci or dct cars where the p button parks the car. I can already see it somebody who doesn't know much about cars and buys a BMW just to say they have one, test drives the car and tries to park it n bam crashes it into another parked car lol just me imagining not saying that it will happen but for somebody like me who notices everything it would annoy me that the p button has no legit function
Appreciate 0