E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

11-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #793
alloy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08E93 335i

Well, my 335i emailed the dealer that it needed an oil change and spark plugs (42,000 miles). So the dealer emailed me and I set up an appointment for Nov. 11. On my way home yesterday, I was merging onto a highway, floored it and the engine malfunction/limited power light came on. The engine was fully orange and it acted just like when I had to have the hpfp replaced in June.
If it is replaced, it will be the second replacement for me, third replacement for the car. And it was the 933 hpfp that replaced the old one.

I really enjoy driving my Bimmer, but man, it's getting to be a bit much.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #794
alloy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08E93 335i

Forgot to mention that the paseenger door pull is peeling and the dealer said they would replace it. But my drivers seat left bolster is wearing through and they said that is not warrantied. Is a leather seat cover really a consumable wear and tear item? So BMW will warranty brake rotors, pads wipers, etc. but not seat covers?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #795
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i, 2019 M4

Translated with google... From someone that know a friend that seem to know about this... The fact the pump is directly on the engine block seem to be a major problem. IMO BMW cant solve this.

"Nobody really know the cause of repetitive failures, especially in warm area (USA) But one of my friend who work with me (motor engineer) working on the same problem on the Sky and Solstice and CTS at GM Ground Facilities in Arizona when working for Bosch. and what they found. CAVITATION! Especially during HOT START. after a brief stop, problem is when the engine are hot during a stop the engine is in a stationary position and you re-start the engine (eg 10 + minutes late), the temperature below the hood get so hot that the gas in the HPFP begins to boil and when you restart, it then pump air instead of a liquid pump and it kills the pump slowly and quietly. it really is a basic explanation. but that's about it .. every system that works with direct injection are a risk of cavitation at HPFP. any brand, any manufacturer ..it is simply the physic! It's not just the only cause .. But it is 70 to 80% of the problem according to him .. Even if BMW want to updater the pump or switch manufacturer. It would not matter .. the position of the pump on the engine block is the basic cause.. Whether it's BOSCH or Siemmen that provides the pump. But as I said here in more northern regions with higher ambient temperature basis, the risk are lower .. few cases, but nothing to do with the states .. I have 32K on my 135I .. No problem ... "

Read more at //forums.**************.com/showthread.php?t=684482
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #796
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The HPFP failures are worldwide in all different climates so I doubt the root cause is just high ambient temps. causing cavitation. High temps may exacerbate the problem however. The fuel system is suppose to maintain a specific minimum pressure when the engine is shut-off to prevent cavitation so I suspect it's more complex than just a thermal issue and cavitation.
Still strange that this issue is not as common in Canada. I made a lot of search about this, I called 3 dealers in my region, I talked to my friend who works as a mechanical in a Bmw dealer. All the input I have is that this HPFP thing is not as bad as it seem to be in USA here in Canada. My friend told me they change HPFP on a monthly basis vs the 135i,335i, 535i, X5 sold since 2007, it doesn't seem to break as fast. So what parameter can explain this? Climate? Fuel?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #797
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Did you account for the number of cars in Canada vs. USA? And does Canada have 10% ethanol in their gas? There are too many variables.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #798
ihvabmr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

A tail tail sign of my HPFP about to fail, or not?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...50#post8286650

The only thing that baffled me was the abnormal smell coming from the exhaust pipe, which, I have never noticed since i had it installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #799
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
It's believed the U.S. has the highest population of x35i models so it's no surprise they have such a high incident rate, but the issue is worldwide. It's not the fuel. All of this has been explored over the past 5 years. Cars that have never seen a drop of alcohol or U.S. fuel experience the same chronic HPFP failures.

BMW has had N54 HPFPs fail at The Welt during ETD... How bad is THAT?

http://www.surveymethods.com/preview...A5AEE7F7F1A2E1
Why is this even an issue, right? Nissan, Chevy, and Hyundai now have direct injected vehicles that are bread and butter vehicles! Do they worry about whether they have to go to Shell or what have you, or analyze the content of the fuel? The same tanker truck fills up various stations along his route. To even say the HPFP is the root cause is not sensible after all the comments we've seen over the past 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #800
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's believed the U.S. has the highest population of x35i models so it's no surprise they have such a high incident rate, but the issue is worldwide. It's not the fuel. All of this has been explored over the past 5 years. Cars that have never seen a drop of alcohol or U.S. fuel experience the same chronic HPFP failures.

BMW has had N54 HPFPs fail at The Welt during ETD... How bad is THAT?

http://www.surveymethods.com/preview...A5AEE7F7F1A2E1

I am not sure about that... My friend work in a BMW dealer in MTL, it is a big dealer, they sold at less 3-4 car per week with this engine since 2007 so this is probably 600-800 cars sold... He told me they change HPFp at MOST once a month, sometime the HPFP is the issue, sometime the injectors.

So this problem touch about 5-10% of the unit solds here in Canada. Yes this is worldwide, failure occur outside USA because the HPFP is the weak link of the N54 but I think the failure ratios is bigger in USA. Fuel is not the only cause but I think it make things worst. Vw use a similar pump for the new TDI and lubrification is critical for those pumps and the fuel sold in many states doesn't met the lubrification spec and they also explode at an alarming rate while in other place failure exist but are minimal.

Last edited by jeff2.0t; 11-08-2010 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #801
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
HPFP issue..

I have had long cranks/ 1/2 check engine light and they just want to
" Update the software " which sucks, now I loose my Dinan map until I can make it across the state to have it reflashed..GRrrrrr
      11-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #802
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
I have had long cranks/ 1/2 check engine light and they just want to
" Update the software " which sucks, now I loose my Dinan map until I can make it across the state to have it reflashed..GRrrrrr
You can buy a JB piggy back instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #803
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
talked to my mechanic (bmw) - he said problems in US are fuel related, to put it simply. He had training on it recently.

It's got to do with type of oil the cars run in US (not exactly same as in Europe). The different oil used is because the originally intended one (long life 4) doesn't cope well with exhaust gasses produced from burning the fuel you have in US (lower quality, I would imagine). So, BMW has to use shorter life oil. And that apparently screws up with the HPFP and leads to failure. I guess there is no good fix for this. Just keep going to dealer and get it replaced - which seems like many people do.

In other words - as long as you live in US and few other places where LongLife 4 type oil isn't allowed to be used, you're gonna have HPFP failures, no matter what BMW redesigns. It's an engineering issue by now and they won't do more than just long term maintenance and repair.

It's logical, and it's a regional issue. I'd stay away from 335i if I lived in US, 335d or 330i sounds like better choice based on that.
      11-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #804
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post
talked to my mechanic (bmw) - he said problems in US are fuel related, to put it simply. He had training on it recently.

It's got to do with type of oil the cars run in US (not exactly same as in Europe). The different oil used is because the originally intended one (long life 4) doesn't cope well with exhaust gasses produced from burning the fuel you have in US (lower quality, I would imagine). So, BMW has to use shorter life oil. And that apparently screws up with the HPFP and leads to failure. I guess there is no good fix for this. Just keep going to dealer and get it replaced - which seems like many people do.

In other words - as long as you live in US and few other places where LongLife 4 type oil isn't allowed to be used, you're gonna have HPFP failures, no matter what BMW redesigns. It's an engineering issue by now and they won't do more than just long term maintenance and repair.

It's logical, and it's a regional issue. I'd stay away from 335i if I lived in US, 335d or 330i sounds like better choice based on that.
I would say that none of the above makes any sense. I guess that makes it nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #805
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I would say that none of the above makes any sense. I guess that makes it nonsense.
Ditto that; I can't see anyone purchasing anything in the future to which BMW would announce...it's a US issue and we can't fix it. Too many other manufacturers just don't have this kind of issue. The statement would be suicide, but I am sure BMW owners are already projecting the new vendor of their next car.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #806
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I read that BMW's high pressure fuel pump specs are way way higher pressure than those of, say, Ford or Audi. This could be a factor.

Something that is thousands of psi higher can be far more temperamental than those other, more run-of-the-mill pumps.
      11-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #807
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Post retroactively removed. Time decay.

11-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #808
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
I read that BMW's high pressure fuel pump specs are way way higher pressure than those of, say, Ford or Audi. This could be a factor.

Something that is thousands of psi higher can be far more temperamental than those other, more run-of-the-mill pumps.
Base cars have direct injection now. Hyundai Sonata, Chevy Cobalt (and maybe Cruz), Nissan Juke. These are all <= 20k cars. They don't have fuel problems.

What we do know that is if a 335/N54 got new hpfp/lpfp/injectors/coil packs/dme/software/turbos/VANOS intake solenoid replaced, the car will be good. But that's over 10 grand in repairs at a retail price, and BMW is not about to do that for 130,000 cars. Only people who yell and scream will get all that done. Those who don't will be asked to pick up their cars with nothing but a software update.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #809
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post

Help me out here, where does the fuel pump internally or externally (or the fuel for that matter) come into contact with engine oil? And even if engine oil were the problem, don't you think maybe CHANGING it would be the first thing they thought of.

BTW I would suggest you find a new mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #810
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Considering the N54/55 HPFP failures are documented to be a worldwide problem I'd say some folks at BMW and/or their dealerships are technically clueless and in deep denial.

Maybe The Welt, Germany, Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. have been importing U.S. gasoline to use exclusively in BMW x35i models?
I don't see anyone on this forum from UK or Europe whining as much abotu the 335i HPFP as US guys. So I don't know what you're alluding to when talking about this a world wide problem. I don't even think the recall is world wide, as it refers to US reported problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
You would say that but I guess you're not a BMW mechanic, so it's understandable. I won't argue this on behalf of BMW, unlike yourself I don't pretend I know everything about how BMW engine operates. I only brought it up so that when HPFP failure comes to 335i owner in US they can at least try to see if this makes sense when talking to their dealer. Asking it on forum is pointless as there is very very little techical knowledge here that's relevant. If people fit 10.5 inch wide rims on the car that wasn't designed for it and think it's ok for handling and driving, I can't really expect there to be an understanding of high tech BMW 6 cylinder engine... not from the wide mass of people, though I'm sure a tech or two does read the forums. IMHO.
      11-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #811
jeff2.0t
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The U.S. tends to have the highest concentration of x35i models. If you read threads from the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. you will see they have the same N54/55 HPFP failure issues.
Bullsh... sorry but I made so many search in so many forums, English, UK, Canadian and French forum and NO I dont see that much complaint about HPFP failure and YES the N54 was sold massively outside US.

My friend is a mechanical in the biggest dealer in Montreal (probably the top 3 dealers in Canada) and this issue is not a plague. Yes the HPFP is a weak llink but we are talking about a 5-10% failure rate... Several N54 are on their orginal pump with 60K milles. When a failure occur the fault is the pump, not the Turbo, Vanos, coil pack or other crap. They change the pump and your good to go, the job worth 700$ (parts and labour). If the HPFP explode, it can screw the injectors in the process with metal piece, but no way the injectors or the Turbo will screw the HPFP first... this is non sense.

Also I suspect a good proportion of those with problem in Canada travel to USA, dont forget 90% of the population lives less than 60 milles form the US border. Your fuel is crap, not a new things, everyone knows that US fuel is crap since decade... this is not the first storys I heard with horrible fuel in US. My STI run poorly when I travel in US, the first thing I do when I cross the border on the Canadian side is to fill up my tank with fresh fuel and the car run better. Your the only one in the world that run with corn in your fuel, it makes pop-corn in your HPFP, try to put butter in your pump it could make the HPFP happy and help it digest the pop corn

Last edited by jeff2.0t; 11-12-2010 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #812
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Are any pumps in other (non N54/55) BMW cars failing? For example e9x M3 or other V8 cars? Any reason outside of form factor or flow rate why a pump from those cars wouldn't be a better part to swap out than refurbished N54 pumps? I know zero about the specifics of the N54 fuel system, but I mean a pump is a pump.

edit: well I answered part of the question, looking at parts diagrams. M3 has no HPFP, its pump is in the gas tank like most cars. As is 328i and M5. No direct injection?

edit2: well some newer V8 cars DO have direct injection and HPFP's, like the 750. But their HPFP is another part number...13517595339. Wonder if they will start failing. Here is the part fiche, 2010 750i twin turbo:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=13&fg=15

Last edited by ajsalida; 11-12-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #813
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
The U.S. tends to have the highest concentration of x35i models. If you read threads from the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. you will see they have the same N54/55 HPFP failure issues.

The "recall" is for the U.S. because BMW NA was forced by ABC News to make a recall - which in reality looks more like a ruse than an actual fix for the HPFP safety defects. Canada is looking at forcing BMW NA to extend the questionable "recall" to Canadian BMW owners. Other countries may also force BMW to recall and hopefully provide a proper engineered solution for the safety issues associated with the N54/N55 HPFP failures.

I suspect the numerous pending class action lawsuits will also "encourage" BMW to provide a proper engineered solution for the N54/N55 HPFP failures which have existed for five model years and counting.
I talked about this as a continental thing. In Europe this is NOT that big of an issue, sure if you put a shitty 95 petrol or 95 Ultima, you should not expect wonders, but on 98... I have 2 friends who run 335i's, not a single issue in 4 years, only something with shocks wearing out too fast on front.

The problem mechanic told me is also in Russia where they use same oil as in US - LL1. In europe it's LL4. LL4 doesn't work well with fuel used in Russia and US (it just doesn't last as long as it's intended) - so BMW replaces it with LL1 because they have no choice - exhaust gasses from fuel in certain contries causes the LL4 oil to "clot". THe car was designed for LL4, LL1 isn't doing the job - system out of order. TO me it makes sense but I don't wanna argue really, to be honest I don't care that much, I know if I want a 335i in Europe there is no reason not to buy it, it's very reliable (here). But In Australia, Russia, US, well - it's a bloody shame BMW fackedup but don't pretend it's a huge world wide problem, it just isn't.

Last edited by Tallest; 11-12-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #814
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Are any pumps in other (non N54/55) BMW cars failing? For example e9x M3 or other V8 cars? Any reason outside of form factor or flow rate why a pump from those cars wouldn't be a better part to swap out than refurbished N54 pumps? I know zero about the specifics of the N54 fuel system, but I mean a pump is a pump.

edit: well I answered part of the question, looking at parts diagrams. M3 has no HPFP, its pump is in the gas tank like most cars. As is 328i and M5. No direct injection?

edit2: well some newer V8 cars DO have direct injection and HPFP's, like the 750. But their HPFP is another part number...13517595339. Wonder if they will start failing. Here is the part fiche, 2010 750i twin turbo:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=13&fg=15
You have an excellent point; I would like to add to that. If it were the "US" fuel causing the problem, then EVERY car in the US would be having this issue. The fuel would breakdown the pump internals and that would be that. It's obvious that BMW improperly designed the fuel system for the N54. Fortunately, other car vendors are bright enough to conquer this issue for their applications. If BMW were smart enough, they would have outsourced this design flaw to a bettter engineering company.
Appreciate 0