E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quaife LSD & VAC Motorsports **Full Review/DIY**

08-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #67
Section.87
illest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Excellent write up OP!! I'm definitely adding a LSD to my mod list!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #68
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae335is View Post
Excellent write up OP!! I'm definitely adding a LSD to my mod list!!
I am glad the writeup helped!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #69
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

if the driveshaft orientation isn't right what can happen as a result? i'm trying to understand from the pics what you need to orient properly on the driveshaft as there's 3 bolts on each end...can't you just orient the driveshaft any way you like on those 3 bolts as to me the driveshaft looks the same any way you turn it...i'm confused...

did you change tranny mounts?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #70
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
if the driveshaft orientation isn't right what can happen as a result? i'm trying to understand from the pics what you need to orient properly on the driveshaft as there's 3 bolts on each end...can't you just orient the driveshaft any way you like on those 3 bolts as to me the driveshaft looks the same any way you turn it...i'm confused...

did you change tranny mounts?
No, tranny mounts are still stock. I didn't see any reason to upgrade them at this point. I am not sure why BMW suggests noting the stock orientation to be honest. It does look like it could universally mount on any bolt.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #71
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I sometimes get a problem under very hard acceleration in 1st shifting into 2nd and it grinds (basically missing it)...I read up on how to make this miss into 2nd less of an occurrance and the first thing they seem to suggest is to go WOT in 1st and look at the shifter and see if it moves to one side when WOT-ing...if it is ppl are saying that upgraded tranny mounts would keep that from happening lowering your chances of missing the shift from 1st to 2nd under WOT in high torque applications..

Wonder where I could get some tranny mounts...anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #72
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I sometimes get a problem under very hard acceleration in 1st shifting into 2nd and it grinds (basically missing it)...I read up on how to make this miss into 2nd less of an occurrance and the first thing they seem to suggest is to go WOT in 1st and look at the shifter and see if it moves to one side when WOT-ing...if it is ppl are saying that upgraded tranny mounts would keep that from happening lowering your chances of missing the shift from 1st to 2nd under WOT in high torque applications..

Wonder where I could get some tranny mounts...anyone?
Are you saying you miss the gear all together or you get a grinding sound? I do get a grinding sound on WOT 1st to 2nd gear shifts. I always have though.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #73
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I get a grind when I miss 2nd only but that's normal that it grinds when I miss gear...it's reducing the "chance" of a miss by having the tranny twist less due to large torque and by using stronger tranny mounts
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #74
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I get a grind when I miss 2nd only but that's normal that it grinds when I miss gear...it's reducing the "chance" of a miss by having the tranny twist less due to large torque and by using stronger tranny mounts
Ohhh, then I have the solution! Don't miss the gear. LOL! Sorry, I had to.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #75
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

this thread has convinced me to get that LSD, great post!
      08-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #76
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiernan36 View Post
this thread has convinced me to get that LSD, great post!
skiernan, I am glad the review was helpful. This is indeed one of the items that should have come stock on the E8x/E9x. It really changes lends a whole new confidence to your driving. The car simply becomes more predictable and I like that it makes me feel more connected to my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #77
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Ohhh, then I have the solution! Don't miss the gear. LOL! Sorry, I had to.
LOL don't think I was clear in that post now that I read it again wanted to say that having stronger tranny mounts/bushings reduces chances of tranny twist ... With weaker tranny mounts the shifter rod assembly moves to one side a bit under large torque which in turn might cause a driver to miss next gear..

I wonder if UUC's tranny mounts work on our 335s
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #78
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
LOL don't think I was clear in that post now that I read it again wanted to say that having stronger tranny mounts/bushings reduces chances of tranny twist ... With weaker tranny mounts the shifter rod assembly moves to one side a bit under large torque which in turn might cause a driver to miss next gear..

I wonder if UUC's tranny mounts work on our 335s
Hmm, that does make some sense. I know some motor mounts were being developed for our car, but I was not aware of any tranny mounts. Let me see what I can dig up.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #79
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hmm, that does make some sense. I know some motor mounts were being developed for our car, but I was not aware of any tranny mounts. Let me see what I can dig up.
I found a post on this forum from a member (checked with him as well) about the UUC transmission mounts/bushings...He's been using the BLACK ones for a few months now with great success...thinking I'll change out the diff bushings as well while I'm at it...not sure about motor mounts/bushings though, UUC doesn't offer any..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #80
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I found a post on this forum from a member (checked with him as well) about the UUC transmission mounts/bushings...He's been using the BLACK ones for a few months now with great success...thinking I'll change out the diff bushings as well while I'm at it...not sure about motor mounts/bushings though, UUC doesn't offer any..
It should be a fairly easy change if you have the car lifted.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #81
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Talk to Turner MS about tranny mounts.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #82
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Talk to Turner MS about tranny mounts.
This was a while back, but I got the UUC black rubber mounts..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #83
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

I see this install was completed while the car was on a lift. I am trying to decide whether or not I want to tackle the removal of the pumpkin. I know it would save me some money vs having the shop do all the work.

That said, besides the AR tool, new driveshaft screws and oil, it doesn't appear I'd need anything else. Question, what is the torque spec on that 50mm nut?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #84
Zaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition

thanks for the post. Great write up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #85
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
I see this install was completed while the car was on a lift. I am trying to decide whether or not I want to tackle the removal of the pumpkin. I know it would save me some money vs having the shop do all the work.

That said, besides the AR tool, new driveshaft screws and oil, it doesn't appear I'd need anything else. Question, what is the torque spec on that 50mm nut?
I think it is do-able on the ground, but dropping the front of the axle will be a headache. Other than that it is definitely possible.

I will have to check the torque spec on the collar nut. I am not sure off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #86
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaw View Post
thanks for the post. Great write up.
Zaw, you bet. I am glad you enjoyed the writeup.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #87
Ensi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 10' 335D

Quote:
I think it is do-able on the ground, but dropping the front of the axle will be a headache. Other than that it is definitely possible.

I will have to check the torque spec on the collar nut. I am not sure off the top of my head.
I was able to drop it out without removing the driveshaft from the tranny, I just removed the heat shield, backed off the nut/collar(what a beatch thanks to locktite), pulled the three diff bolts, pulled the axles, and lowered the whole unit down. I did this with just jackstands and a floor jack.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #88
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensi View Post
I was able to drop it out without removing the driveshaft from the tranny, I just removed the heat shield, backed off the nut/collar(what a beatch thanks to locktite), pulled the three diff bolts, pulled the axles, and lowered the whole unit down. I did this with just jackstands and a floor jack.
BMW doesn't not suggest doing that and therefore I cannot really say that is an acceptable way to do it even if it worked well for you. This is not meant as a shot toward you, just information.
Appreciate 0