E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

12-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #1013
Dakren12
[335i Sedan?]
Rep
Drives: Supercharged RSX-S

awsome! thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #1014
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakren12 View Post
awsome! thanks!!
Anytime, let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. Have a great weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #1015
newuser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: chevy

Without having an car specific degreaser around, is it ok to use diluted simple green on the wheelwells and caliper to start removing some of the grime and tar buildup? I was thinking of diluting it with soapy water, spraying and letting it sit for a few minutes before taking a brush to the plastic liners.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #1016
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I used SG (diluted) exclusively on both wheels and wells when I did my Thanksgiving wheel removal/clean/clay/seal deal. SG cleans well and didn't seem to harm the plastic liners. It did cut the gunk pretty well on the calipers and such, but elbow grease was still required. I didn't even realize my cross members were pale aluminum colored, not black

Best regards,
Wede
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #1017
newuser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: chevy

Thanks for the reply wede! I decided to take the day off after reading this thread. I think I like cleaning too much. I use SG on almost everything else so I just wanted to check.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #1018
d32169
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I noticed that some buffer pads are rated "ppi". Is this meaningful? What are the ppi ratings for the Lake County green, blue, black pads? 60-80? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #1019
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d32169 View Post
I noticed that some buffer pads are rated "ppi". Is this meaningful? What are the ppi ratings for the Lake County green, blue, black pads? 60-80? Thanks.
PPI measures the pores per inch, basically the coarser the pad, the less pores it has, the softer the pad the more pores per inch. I don't have the LC measurements, but they should be similar ranges of the other pads you've looked at.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #1020
knivez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I plan on getting foam cannon and I was wondering if there is a good wash/wax combo that I can use. My main goal is trying to get a quick wash every week just by spraying the car with some foam and rinsing it. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #1021
d32169
Enlisted Member
Rep

Does wax wash off with a mild shampoo? If not, is it okay to apply a fresh coat without completely removing the older coat? How do you remove the older coat without removing the sealant?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #1022
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivez View Post
I plan on getting foam cannon and I was wondering if there is a good wash/wax combo that I can use. My main goal is trying to get a quick wash every week just by spraying the car with some foam and rinsing it. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks!
Using a foam gun or cannon and rinsing isn't going to give you the most effective wash, but it will help remove a light dusting and some light contamination.

What you'd want to use is a good foaming shampoo that is designed to be gentle on your coats of protection. Something like Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II would be a great option for you to use.

To get the best results for the technique you plan on using, stick with a wax that offers tight water beading, so that when you rinse off your vehicle, most of the water sheds right off. If you perform a proper sheeting technique, with a high tension wax, such as one of the Dodo Juice Waxes, maintaining your vehicle will be pretty easy.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with and how things turn out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d32169 View Post
Does wax wash off with a mild shampoo? If not, is it okay to apply a fresh coat without completely removing the older coat? How do you remove the older coat without removing the sealant?
A mild shampoo designed to maintain your coats of protection will not degrade the protection your wax is giving you. After a maintenance wash, it's common to apply a new coat of wax over an existing coat. Layers of wax can stack on top of each other, so you don't have to remove the previous coat of wax. If you were to strip everything down, you'd be removing the sealant and wax. I don't know of a way to just remove the wax and keep the layer(s) of sealant in tact.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #1023
Dakren12
[335i Sedan?]
Rep
Drives: Supercharged RSX-S

I have both the maxi suds II and the citrus wash with gloss... I tried to use the citrus wash to do a prep, and the lather was very... slick and a bit tougher than the maxi sud II to remove, is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #1024
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakren12 View Post
I have both the maxi suds II and the citrus wash with gloss... I tried to use the citrus wash to do a prep, and the lather was very... slick and a bit tougher than the maxi sud II to remove, is this normal?
I never really found the Citrus Wash & Gloss was hard to remove. It's a slick shampoo that's for sure, like you said. Make sure you are vigorously shaking the Citrus Wash & Gloss as it has a tendency to separate quite easily. I'm sure this could easily alter how easy or hard the shampoo was to rinse off if you didn't shake it up good enough. Maxi Suds doesn't have the issue of product separation. Also, I'm sure you used 4x + more product with the Citrus Wash & Gloss to prep the paint compared to simply maintaining it with the Maxi Suds II.

You can try to add a quick detailer of your choice during the drying process to help aid with the removal of residue left from the CW&G next time around to see if that helps. Simply mist it on while the car is still a little wet and dry as normal.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #1025
joyride08
Joyride
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i | Black/Black/Alum

Just a quick question about the new Lake Country pads.

I've already used the Orange Light pad and finished it off with the Black Finishing pad. Now the question is, my Orange Light pad his torn from use so i'm wanting to replace it, but I don't think i will need something that aggressive. Would the Tangerine Ultra be a nice balance as a replacement? Seem like it would, but I figured i'd ask in case others wondered the same.

Thanks!!
      12-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #1026
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride08 View Post
Just a quick question about the new Lake Country pads.

I've already used the Orange Light pad and finished it off with the Black Finishing pad. Now the question is, my Orange Light pad his torn from use so i'm wanting to replace it, but I don't think i will need something that aggressive. Would the Tangerine Ultra be a nice balance as a replacement? Seem like it would, but I figured i'd ask in case others wondered the same.

Thanks!!
The Tangerine Hydro Tech pad would probably be a good fit for what your describing. I'd put it somewhere between a white polishing and green light cutting pad, but has the ability to finish down finer than a traditional white or green pad. So it sounds like that would fit the bill for what you're looking for quite nicely.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #1027
D_o_S
LCI'd
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI

Is it OK to use exterior MF towels to clean the interior? (After washing them, of course)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #1028
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Is it OK to use exterior MF towels to clean the interior? (After washing them, of course)
Yep, shouldn't be any problems there as long as the towels are clean. I typically use either our all purpose towels or the ultra plush towels on interiors.

Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #1029
d32169
Enlisted Member
Rep

Rippling

Is this rippling in the paint or a result of a polisher? Can it be removed?
Attached Images

01-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #1030
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Chances are what you are seeing is factory orange peel, very common on just about any vehicle. The only way to effectively remove it is to have some properly wet sand your vehicle, which I wouldn't recommend. Wet sanding can leave you with little to no clear coat and can cause more problems down the road if you remove too much clear. Some higher end cars that are hand painted usually will have very little orange peel, but it's pretty much the norm on production run vehicles.

Hope this helps.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #1031
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

George,

I'm trying to get my windows really really clean - But the water is quite hard here in QLD, Australia.... I currently have a few water marks (little dots) over the rear window - I have a great streak free window cleaner - but it doesn't seem to be enough to remove all of the water marks - any recommendations?

I'm using a microfibre window cloth.
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #1032
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
George,

I'm trying to get my windows really really clean - But the water is quite hard here in QLD, Australia.... I currently have a few water marks (little dots) over the rear window - I have a great streak free window cleaner - but it doesn't seem to be enough to remove all of the water marks - any recommendations?

I'm using a microfibre window cloth.
If you have a chemical polish, or an all in one product, they usually work well at removing water spots on glass. You can also try a mix of distilled white vinegar and water mix to help remove the mineral deposits.

Hopefully one of those does the trick for you.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #1033
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Hello, can you please give me a little advice...

I purchased a 2008 Sparkling Graphite 335i back in Oct 2008 that had sat on the lot for a few months and acquired a few spots of bird dropping etching.

In addition, the car has some light swirl marks and rain/sprinkler drop spot etching.

I have a PC 7424xp, but have not purchased any polish or pads for it. What would you do (with what pads and polish) in order to remedy these deficiencies and then protect the car?

Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #1034
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Hello, can you please give me a little advice...

I purchased a 2008 Sparkling Graphite 335i back in Oct 2008 that had sat on the lot for a few months and acquired a few spots of bird dropping etching.

In addition, the car has some light swirl marks and rain/sprinkler drop spot etching.

I have a PC 7424xp, but have not purchased any polish or pads for it. What would you do (with what pads and polish) in order to remedy these deficiencies and then protect the car?

Thank You!
I'd recommend starting off with a medium cut polish and see if it yields the results you are looking for before jumping to a more aggressive solution. If you don't have any pads or a backing plate, I'd suggest picking up the Meguiar's W67DA backing plate and some 5.5" pads for maximum results.

For more of a mild combo, I'd suggest going with Menzerna Power Finish on green pads and follow up with some Menzerna PO85RD using black pads.

A more aggressive option that will do better on deeper etching would be Meguiar's M105 using orange pads followed by Meguiar's M205 using white pads.

Here's a good read on properly using the M105/M205 combo with a PC if you go this route.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with and how things turn out.
Appreciate 0