E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

03-29-2024, 03:23 AM   #1321
BMWJU
Rep
Drives: 330i zhp, 325I sulev, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSB View Post
Wow, that's crazy. Brand new plugs defective? What brand?
I got NGK STEP 1 Colder plugs I believe.? And my car runs perfect now

Until tonight.. I got a 30ED code super knocking CYL 1 I heard it’s do to over boost or timing or fuel octane ratings as well
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2024, 01:25 AM   #1322
aj2011n55
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i n55

help

Hey guys relatively new to cars and bimmers in general and had some questions about some codes. Lately my car has been shutting off randomly not super often but every once in a while. At times the power will feel normal but other times i have to push the throttle all the way down to get to 4k rpms. The service engine light and half check engine light come and go usually after i turn off the car for a bit. Thought it was a vaccum line issue so i replaced one and I dont hear air leaking anymore but still has some of the same problems.

Codes:
- DME active codes -
2774 - Air volume, plausibility: Air volume too high.
2BC1 - Mixture control: Fuel-air mixture too rich.
2C01 - High pressure fuel, plausibility Pressure too low.
375C - DME, protection against tampering: Program or data manipulation detected.
387F - Power management: Standby current violation.

- DME shadow (inactive) codes -
2BDE Fuel high pressure on enabling of injection: pressure too low

Mods installed:
Catless dp
stage 1 tune
bms intake
vrsf chargepipe

Car-2011 335i n55

Any help helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 01:07 AM   #1323
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92 Coupe (N54 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2011n55 View Post
Hey guys relatively new to cars and bimmers in general and had some questions about some codes. Lately my car has been shutting off randomly not super often but every once in a while. At times the power will feel normal but other times i have to push the throttle all the way down to get to 4k rpms. The service engine light and half check engine light come and go usually after i turn off the car for a bit. Thought it was a vaccum line issue so i replaced one and I dont hear air leaking anymore but still has some of the same problems.

Codes:
- DME active codes -
2774 - Air volume, plausibility: Air volume too high.
2BC1 - Mixture control: Fuel-air mixture too rich.
375C - DME, protection against tampering: Program or data manipulation detected.
387F - Power management: Standby current violation.

- DME shadow (inactive) codes -

Mods installed:
Catless dp
stage 1 tune
bms intake
vrsf chargepipe

Car-2011 335i n55

Any help helps!
Yikes. Any number of things can cause the power reduction and half-engine light, and the number of possibilities go up when you have a tune.

These two codes may indicate a High Pressure Fuel Pump beginning to fail. The pump often fails intermittently. For example, you might have full power until you hit a certain RPM or engine load. Then it conks out and throws codes until the next engine restart.

The rich mixture might be related to the pump, or the result of injectors sticking open, or fuel rail sensor failure, or a weakening battery, or your DME tune, etc.

You could preemptively replace the pump, but that's an expensive roll of the dice. To be sure, you need a scan tool to watch the low-pressure fuel vs high-pressure fuel as you drive (live data). The high-pressure fuel supply should be approximately 10x higher than low-pressure fuel supply at all times.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 07:12 PM   #1324
aj2011n55
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i n55

Quote:
Yikes. Any number of things can cause the power reduction and half-engine light, and the number of possibilities go up when you have a tune.

These two codes may indicate a High Pressure Fuel Pump beginning to fail. The pump often fails intermittently. For example, you might have full power until you hit a certain RPM or engine load. Then it conks out and throws codes until the next engine restart.

The rich mixture might be related to the pump, or the result of injectors sticking open, or fuel rail sensor failure, or a weakening battery, or your DME tune, etc.

You could preemptively replace the pump, but that's an expensive roll of the dice. To be sure, you need a scan tool to watch the low-pressure fuel vs high-pressure fuel as you drive (live data). The high-pressure fuel supply should be approximately 10x higher than low-pressure fuel supply at all times.
Ahh okay thank you, think im just going to buy the pump rather save myself the headache, sparkplugs are next cuz was already planning on buy new fuel injectors anyways seeing as the car has like 140,000 miles. Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2024, 02:17 PM   #1325
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2011n55 View Post
Ahh okay thank you, think im just going to buy the pump rather save myself the headache, sparkplugs are next cuz was already planning on buy new fuel injectors anyways seeing as the car has like 140,000 miles. Appreciate the help!
Sounds good. No problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 02:08 PM   #1326
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia Katulla View Post
Very helpful, thank you all for sharing and contributing.
Yes, this forum has saved me many times! Thanks for posting your appreciation, all the way from China!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2024, 02:02 PM   #1327
lambo911
Rep
Drives: F31 330XD

Hi All,

I am going to have a go at repairing my HPFP before buying another one. It looks like the issue was an oil leak past the seal on the drive wheel. So I'll top it up with oil and put in a new seal.

Has anyone found supplier in the UK for this seal please ?

It is a KACO seal made of rubber with what looks like a metal band on the outer and radius and a spring on the inner one. The size is 22mm outer diameter, 11mm inner diameter and the thickness is 7mm.
The car is a 2008 330i with 131k miles on the clock.

Cheers
Richard
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 04:37 AM   #1328
lambo911
Rep
Drives: F31 330XD

Can anyone help with sourcing a seal please ?
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 06:10 PM   #1329
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo911 View Post
You may be in the wrong thread. This thread is about the HPFP for the 335i turbo-charged direct-injection engine. No seal kit is available for this pump.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 04:07 AM   #1330
swellengear
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo911 View Post
Can't help you with a UK source, but I have done this repair to 2 hpfps, and it certainly works. Here in South Africa, I found the seal from a hydraulics shop.

I did run into an issue, where the new seals were being pushed out by the internal pump pressure. Had a machine shop cut a groove for me, inserted a circlip, and problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 02:00 AM   #1331
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealj View Post
Great overview of the HPFP issues! I’ve had similar experiences with my BMW, particularly the long crank times and intermittent 1/2 engine light. It seems like a common problem that many of us have faced. I also noticed that even though the replacement pumps are supposedly improved, I’ve heard mixed results about their effectiveness.

One thing I’d like to add is that while BMW has extended the warranty to 120k miles, it’s still frustrating dealing with repeated failures. For those of us who love our cars and aren’t ready to trade them in, staying on top of diagnostics and timely replacements is crucial. As you mentioned, getting a BT scanner might help catch issues early, but it’s still a gamble whether the dealership will replace the pump under warranty if no HPFP code is found.

It’s interesting to see that the new pumps, now made by Continental instead of Bosch, are generating some hope. Hopefully, they address the issues more effectively. In the meantime, for anyone dealing with HPFP problems, it’s worth pushing for prompt dealer action and keeping an eye out for any updates from BMW or class action lawsuits that might offer additional remedies.

Let’s keep each other updated on any new developments or fixes that come along. Thanks for sharing this comprehensive info!
Agreed. The trouble is that we'll never truly know whether people are installing the latest Continental pumps or older Bosch pumps or even Chinese refurbished pumps. There seem to be several mystery variations being sold by unscrupulous vendors. The prices on brand new pumps is pure extortion. It's no wonder that this is attracting posers who want to cash in!

Furthermore, I have little confidence in Continental because they manufacture that disgustingly unreliable N54 water pump with a plastic impeller housing that cracks. I complained after my 5th pump cracked and I was told that they have no intention of upgrading it because it only has a 1% failure rate. Lies! Outside of their pathetic warrantee, that thing has a 100% failure rate.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 02:05 AM   #1332
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellengear View Post
Can't help you with a UK source, but I have done this repair to 2 hpfps, and it certainly works. Here in South Africa, I found the seal from a hydraulics shop.

I did run into an issue, where the new seals were being pushed out by the internal pump pressure. Had a machine shop cut a groove for me, inserted a circlip, and problem solved!
Creative! How long has this fix lasted? Unfortunately, that seal isn't the only thing that fails in this HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 02:32 AM   #1333
swellengear
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Creative! How long has this fix lasted? Unfortunately, that seal isn't the only thing that fails in this HPFP.
Its been more than a year now, and still going. And yup, you are indeed correct. Plenty of bits that can go wrong. Bellows splitting, bellow o-rings going bad, solenoid failing and so on. All the seals can be replaced, but replacement bellows are to my knowledge, not available. Although these could be scavenged from another pump. Where there's a will, there's (usually) a way!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 12:52 AM   #1334
GSB
Electronics Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellengear View Post
Its been more than a year now, and still going. And yup, you are indeed correct. Plenty of bits that can go wrong. Bellows splitting, bellow o-rings going bad, solenoid failing and so on. All the seals can be replaced, but replacement bellows are to my knowledge, not available. Although these could be scavenged from another pump. Where there's a will, there's (usually) a way!
A true African! You make us proud! I was born and raised in S.A. too.
Appreciate 1