E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Good Overall iPod Solution

01-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #133
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe

My understanding is that some of the drawbacks of the MOST iPod interface are actually a function of the Logic 7 radio itself. For example the "random" function not providing true shuffle functionality is not a problem with the iPod interface but how the radio handles the random function.

Otherwise, I hear the logic 7 radio is great but was wondering, are people able to put aftermarket radios in the e92? Or due to the radios integration with the steering wheel controls, phone functionality etc. and the way that radio is customized for the dash, does no one make an aftermarket radio for the e92? If not, does BMW occassionally offer updated versions of their radios that can be installed or software updates to their radios?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #134
Nefdoc
Rep
Drives: BMW 3.25xi 2006

Simplest Solution

I have been searching this thread but did not see this very simple and AMAZING solution...

I tried the 3.5 mm stereo cable from ipod headphone jack to the aux input and found out that the sound quality was not that great, it never is if you do not have a "line level" output... So I found this ipod dock connector to 3.5 mm stereo cable for like $14 and am extremely happy with the sound... As far as the display etc is concerned, I have a rubberized case for the ipod (got it for $10 from Apple store) and when I put the ipod next to the ashtray, it does not slip... I can pick it up and see what is playing, use the incredible clickwheel on ipod itself for controlling and while parked can even enjoy the videos...

btw I have the 80 GB video pod...

When I leave my car I just put the Ipod in the armrest..

Now as far as charging is concerned, true that this solution does not cahrge the ipod. So, for those of us who spend more than the "single charge" life in their cars and want to leave their pods in the cars overnight and not take them out to charge and sync new podcasts, I'd say... use a charger when the battery runs out and listen to Radio while it charges...

On a more serious note...

Amazing sound...
Ability to use Ipod controls....
Convenient length...
<$14...

Life is beautiful...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #135
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefdoc View Post
I have been searching this thread but did not see this very simple and AMAZING solution...

I tried the 3.5 mm stereo cable from ipod headphone jack to the aux input and found out that the sound quality was not that great, it never is if you do not have a "line level" output... So I found this ipod dock connector to 3.5 mm stereo cable for like $14 and am extremely happy with the sound... As far as the display etc is concerned, I have a rubberized case for the ipod (got it for $10 from Apple store) and when I put the ipod next to the ashtray, it does not slip... I can pick it up and see what is playing, use the incredible clickwheel on ipod itself for controlling and while parked can even enjoy the videos...

btw I have the 80 GB video pod...

When I leave my car I just put the Ipod in the armrest..

Now as far as charging is concerned, true that this solution does not cahrge the ipod. So, for those of us who spend more than the "single charge" life in their cars and want to leave their pods in the cars overnight and not take them out to charge and sync new podcasts, I'd say... use a charger when the battery runs out and listen to Radio while it charges...

On a more serious note...

Amazing sound...
Ability to use Ipod controls....
Convenient length...
<$14...

Life is beautiful...

Thanks for the post. Can you post a photo of your setup (cables, ipod, case etc.) in the car and/or links to the items you purchased?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #136
bryson
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi Guys,

As a pro installer for the BMW range (I have a E90 myself) have you tried the Brodit iPod/MP3Solution;

1) Choose an ipod or other MP3 holder suitable for your ipod, theres a lot to choose from, varying from passive plush and padded holders, upto the top end holders, plush, padded and with loosend connections for hardwiring, or with cig charger, AND the all important AUX out cable to plug into the arm rest.

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/MP3%20Holder.asp

2) Then choose a damage free proclip Bracket for your BMW, the most popular are the angled console mounts, located near the gear stick. Then mount you ipod holder onto the proclip, job done in 5 minutes, no skills reuqired, simple DIY for a really professional solution.

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodi...%20Proclip.asp

In fact our local BMW dealer has shifted a fair few already! They love the fact that you simply slide in the ipods and can then control it from the ipod itself.

Drop me a PM or email me from the links above if you need any help or advice.

Ill take a couple of shots of my installs and upload asap,

many Thanks

Bryson
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #137
blingbling
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi coupe 6 MT

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefdoc View Post
So I found this ipod dock connector to 3.5 mm stereo cable for like $14 and am extremely happy with the sound... As far
Where do you get this cable that you are talking about? link please!
And yes, a photo of your setup woud be nice!!!

Alpine White/Beige/6MT/E92 328xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #138
bryson
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingbling View Post
Where do you get this cable that you are talking about? link please!
And yes, a photo of your setup woud be nice!!!
Hi, The AUX cable and power cable are all inc. in the holder.

Have a read here of more details and ill get some images up as soon as i can;

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/Brodi...123b0f9d74d4c6

Many Thanks

Bryson
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 04:32 AM   #139
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson View Post
Hi Guys,

As a pro installer for the BMW range (I have a E90 myself) have you tried the Brodit iPod/MP3Solution;

1) Choose an ipod or other MP3 holder suitable for your ipod, theres a lot to choose from, varying from passive plush and padded holders, upto the top end holders, plush, padded and with loosend connections for hardwiring, or with cig charger, AND the all important AUX out cable to plug into the arm rest.

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/MP3%20Holder.asp

2) Then choose a damage free proclip Bracket for your BMW, the most popular are the angled console mounts, located near the gear stick. Then mount you ipod holder onto the proclip, job done in 5 minutes, no skills reuqired, simple DIY for a really professional solution.

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodi...%20Proclip.asp

In fact our local BMW dealer has shifted a fair few already! They love the fact that you simply slide in the ipods and can then control it from the ipod itself.

Drop me a PM or email me from the links above if you need any help or advice.

Ill take a couple of shots of my installs and upload asap,

many Thanks

Bryson
I had this type of mount in my 530d - which I bought from DSL.

I didn't want any brackets in my 330i though.

I bought a rubber protective jacket for my new 80gig ipod

Then made the amazing discovery that it will sit on the centre console and WILL NOT SLIP at all no matter how hard you corner.

So now I just leave my ipod in the armrest or pull it out and lay it on the ashtray if I want to reach it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #140
Pecty
Double Underhook Suplex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80 M3  [0.00]
This is another handy solution that also lets you use it with other PCs etc.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

pick any usb car charger and a plain old 1/8" stereo cable and its set.
aka Andre the Giant
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #141
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hunting for M5 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinE90 View Post
My 330 was in the shop for the BWMAssist recall and I had them install the MOST iPod interface. At first blush, it seems pretty good. Sound quality is equal to the AUX solution and iPod navigation is WAY better. Is it worth the $'s? That is a personal decision.
Hey alpinE90 or anyone else that knows the answer -

I have been trying to get this question answered for a while now, but haven't seen a response. When you get the standard BMW iPod adapter installed or this new MOST iPod interface (which I know nothing about) how well does it work? If I recall correctly the original ipodyourbmw.com setup only allowed you to access 5 BMW specific playlists OR shuffle through your entire library. It did not interface very well with the Nav or Radio screen and you basically had very limited control for like $500.

Have these systems improved at all? What kind of functionality do you get out of the MOST iPod setup?

Also wanted to ask a quick follow-up on the initial post here:

-----------
This is what I used to connect my iPod... Pretty good overall solution...

1) Monster Ultra-Low Profile Charger for iPod® with Dock Connection

Pros - High quality, good brand, reasonable price (~$40 USD), low profile, single cable, line-out (does make a difference), gold connectors, no amplifiers...

Has two charging modes: Fast for whe your iPod is near death; trickle charge when the iPod is hully charged. Turns off the charged but you are playing.

Huge plus is that is automatically pauses the iPod when power is turned off and wakes when turned back on. My previous charger did not do this.

Cons - long, coiled cord... 1 foot coiled but can stretch to ~ 6 ft or so... Packaging says 10 ft

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2132

--------------------

Simple question here - when you mention how the monster pauses the iPod when the power is turned off is that true for the new 2007s with the comfort access as well? Or does the cigarette lighter port stay active even after the car is shut off because I imagine there is some funky new stuff going on with all this keyless entry, etc.

Last edited by Silver TT; 02-07-2007 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #142
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep

When you mention how the monster pauses the iPod when the power is turned off is that true for the new 2007s with the comfort access as well? Or does the cigarette lighter port stay active even after the car is shut off because I imagine there is some funky new stuff going on with all this keyless entry, etc.

And is this monster adapter still the best option for use with the Aux-in? I noticed this orginal thread is about 1 1/2 years old at this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #143
335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Yes, my 07 with CA pauses the iPod when the engine is shut down. I don't know if it is "the best" adapter but it works fine for me....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #144
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks 335i. That is what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #145
bud001
That Guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i (E90)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver TT View Post
Hey alpinE90 or anyone else that knows the answer -

I have been trying to get this question answered for a while now, but haven't seen a response. When you get the standard BMW iPod adapter installed or this new MOST iPod interface (which I know nothing about) how well does it work? If I recall correctly the original ipodyourbmw.com setup only allowed you to access 5 BMW specific playlists OR shuffle through your entire library. It did not interface very well with the Nav or Radio screen and you basically had very limited control for like $500.

Have these systems improved at all? What kind of functionality do you get out of the MOST iPod setup?

Also wanted to ask a quick follow-up on the initial post here:

-----------
This is what I used to connect my iPod... Pretty good overall solution...

1) Monster Ultra-Low Profile Charger for iPod® with Dock Connection

Pros - High quality, good brand, reasonable price (~$40 USD), low profile, single cable, line-out (does make a difference), gold connectors, no amplifiers...

Has two charging modes: Fast for whe your iPod is near death; trickle charge when the iPod is hully charged. Turns off the charged but you are playing.

Huge plus is that is automatically pauses the iPod when power is turned off and wakes when turned back on. My previous charger did not do this.

Cons - long, coiled cord... 1 foot coiled but can stretch to ~ 6 ft or so... Packaging says 10 ft

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2132

--------------------

Simple question here - when you mention how the monster pauses the iPod when the power is turned off is that true for the new 2007s with the comfort access as well? Or does the cigarette lighter port stay active even after the car is shut off because I imagine there is some funky new stuff going on with all this keyless entry, etc.

The link does not work. Does anyone have the direct link?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 01:27 AM   #146
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud001 View Post
The link does not work. Does anyone have the direct link?
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2132

Also, the Monster charger doesn't pause the iPod - the iPod pauses itself when the external power source is removed during play. After a while it will shutdown. When external power is once again supplied (like when you start your car and power the center console AC plug) the iPod powers up in Pause right where you left off. It will work this way with any dock connecter charger. The best thing about the Monster is the Line Level audio connector you connect to the AUX port - and the low profile, of course.
      02-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #147
tomswift
TomSwift
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I have had the iPod Nav integration for several months. I hope they fix the bug that causes the track to not start in the same place. After trying to figure it out for a while I think I know what is happening. The iPod tracks are all set to resume at the stop locations. When you mute the sound the iPod does stop and will resume in exactly the same place --unless you turn off the car. If you turn off the car for a while and come back, start the car and set the Nav Screen to entertainment and watch the tracks you can see the iPod advancing even though it shows the mute to be on. Not supposed to do that.

Real pain for audio books.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #148
Silver TT
Private First Class
Rep

Just an fyi - the monster low profile adapter is available on ebay for $6. Not sure if its legit or not, but I just ordered one and will let you know. Another poster said he did too and it arrived in retail packaging and looked perfect.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...itle=AICHG2+IP
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #149
masediggity
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black Sapphire 335i

I work here at Belkin and we have done some major testing on the cables. Our cable consistently outperforms the Monster Cable 3.5 jack. We also have some great chargers/accessories. Go check out all the great stuff. I have the 3.5 jack on my 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #150
Paulo Gil
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2007

Ipod Video 30G, Motorola V3 and Bluetooth HF850.

This is my new Ipod Video 30G, Motorola V3 in the center console mount and Bluetooth HF850 whith no drills at all installation.

My friend Mauricio and I did it by home made here in Brazil.

Thanks to all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 12:50 AM   #151
WVS007
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Graphite Edition

Hi Paulo

How difficult is it to install the Motorolla Bluetooth unit...I'm looking at the Nokia unit but have full nav and do not know how to connect to the audio unit for the mute functionality?

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #152
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I can't wait for Dension to hurry up and come out with an icelink for the e90. I had one on my e46 that connected to where the cd changer would connect, it allows text display and steering wheel control of the ipod.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #153
Paulo Gil
Registered
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2007

Hi WVS007

This motorola HF850 unit is very ease to install, it has everithing included, mic, speaker, etc. I didn't make the mute function to work, because I don't known how to do it, and I didn't use the car speaker too...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #154
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by masediggity View Post
I work here at Belkin and we have done some major testing on the cables. Our cable consistently outperforms the Monster Cable 3.5 jack. We also have some great chargers/accessories. Go check out all the great stuff. I have the 3.5 jack on my 335i.
OK Belkin man - explain why your ipod cable has a crappy built in pre-amp which entirely defeats the object of using the ipods line out.

The monster cable does not have that pre-amp.

How can you cable possibly outperform the monster one?

(BTW - the belkin sports jacket for IPOD is a SUPERB product being completely non slip it allows me to rest my 80gig ipod on the centre console while driving).
Appreciate 0