E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede v3.3 CANbus UPDATE

03-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #155
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
You still yappin or spell checking an actual response on the merits? Your quips are as empty as the suit you wear in court.

Meh, some people talk a good ass beating while others deliver. If it's all the same to you septro, I'll stick with my wife's. She not only delivers, she makes me sit up and beg for buttermilk.
      03-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #156
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
What are you talking about? They serve completely different functions! apples to baboons

I could switch maps with my gas pedal on my wrx 5 years ago.
And this is the first integration with the dash and a tune?? Audi map switching with the wiper stalk comes to memory.

The distinction if another vendor does it on the N54, history is not relevant and it is copying. I'm cool with calling it out if it happens - but perspective helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #157
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Back to the topic at hand...

Shiv...

Granted you're going for the option of a "boost gauge" for the masses, if you just happen to also have an option of something for the iDrive screen, I'm sure those that do have it won't mind.
Honestly, i think iDrive display is going to be much more difficult to implement. Not saying it wont happen. But there are many more things that we would want to introduce first. It's not as straight-forward and CANbus integration.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #158
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

the original point is: Terry has bashed new features in the past then gone and implemented them (or tried to). That was lawdudes point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
And this is the first integration with the dash and a tune?? Audi map switching with the wiper stalk comes to memory.

The distinction if another vendor does it on the N54, history is not relevant and it is copying. I'm cool with calling it out if it happens - but perspective helps.

but enough of this in here, anyone in this discussion is just wasting time until dinner is ready
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #159
Septro
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Honestly, i think iDrive display is going to be much more difficult to implement. Not saying it wont happen. But there are many more things that we would want to introduce first. It's not as straight-forward and CANbus integration.

Shiv
Back on the topic -

If not the main display, what about the bottom ribbon bar that provides some environmentals/phone info?

When there is an alert, that display is co-opted to present the current alert data. Maybe the integration for that wouldn't be as difficult to develop?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #160
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman View Post
To get the thread on topic deleting codes without reading them is pretty scary stuff. Especially if there is an actual problem. Once this can also read codes it will be very impressive and save people from having to buy a $300 scanner.
Reading codes is only days or, in worst case, weeks away. When ready, users will only need to update their firmware to get this feature. We already have access to all the CANbus information. Even developed some custom software to analyze/decode it easily. All we need to do is sort through and find out what does what. While not a big technical challenge for us at this point, it does take a bit of time.

I don't think code clearing with out reading is an issue at all. 95% of the time, there are no visible codes. So all you will be doing is potentially erasing the hidden tuner detection code which is a-okay in my book. That's the idea behind this feature. To simply clear your tracks while being able to use the best tune possible. This means we can finally get aggressive with low end boost as well as run the AFRs that we want to run but couldn't due to the tuner detection trip points.

The code reading feature will simply make the PROcede a simple diagnostic/logging tool. Which, of course, is nice as well. But that doesn't mean the first release is anything less than useful.

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #161
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Reading codes is only days or, in worst case, weeks away. When ready, users will only need to update their firmware to get this feature. We already have access to all the CANbus information. Even developed some custom software to analyze/decode it easily. All we need to do is sort through and find out what does what. While not a big technical challenge for us at this point, it does take a bit of time.

I don't think code clearing with out reading is an issue at all. 95% of the time, there are no visible codes. So all you will be doing is potentially erasing the hidden tuner detection code which is a-okay in my book. That's the idea behind this feature. To simply clear your tracks while being able to use the best tune possible. This means we can finally get aggressive with low end boost as well as run the AFRs that we want to run but couldn't due to the tuner detection trip points.

The code reading feature will simply make the PROcede a simple diagnostic/logging tool. Which, of course, is nice as well. But that doesn't mean the first release is anything less than useful.

Cheers,
Shiv
Its basically giving people that want to run their cars to or close to maximum performance without worrying about triggering warranty codes because its a quick fix for them to erase them prior to a visit to the dealership!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #162
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
This means we can finally get aggressive with low end boost as well as run the AFRs that we want to run but couldn't due to the tuner detection trip points.
Cheers,
Shiv
Get crackin' on those agressive low end boost maps!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #163
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Get crackin' on those agressive low end boost maps!!!
thats what I am talking about...now he can concentrate on one map for everyone and make it the most potent with safety regards ofcourse!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #164
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Very good stuff. Stupid question of the day: IF the 335 had a heads up display like the M5 & 6, would a digital numeric boost display be possible?

This has no merit to this thread whatsoever......it's more of a curiousity thing from me.

P.S. Long live Lawdude.
      03-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #165
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
This means we can finally get aggressive with low end boost as well as run the AFRs that we want to run but couldn't due to the tuner detection trip points.

Cheers,
Shiv
Ummmm, I beg to differ here.

The low end on the Procede ALREADY feels aggressive.

You must mean.....more aggresive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #166
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Honestly, i think iDrive display is going to be much more difficult to implement. It's not as straight-forward and CANbus integration.

Shiv
How so???

I always see messages displayed on the bottom of the iDrive screen and the dash's gauge cluster simultaneously............low fuel warning, tpms tire warning, engine check OK, oil level OK, service reminder screen etc...

I'm sure the DME openly communicates and fully integrates to display vital information between the gauge cluster screen and the iDrive display via one of the BUS lines. As you state it may not be straight forward but I think it's definitely possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #167
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
How so???

I always see messages displayed on the bottom of the iDrive screen and the dash's gauge cluster simultaneously............low fuel warning, tpms tire warning, engine check OK, oil level OK, service reminder screen etc...

I'm sure the DME openly communicates and fully integrates to display vital information between the gauge cluster screen and the iDrive display via one of the BUS lines. As you state it may not be straight forward but I think it's definitely possible.
PROcede is on the PT-CAN... luckily this is the can with all the nifty engine data flowing on it.

Here is a neat diagram showing all the busses in the e90/e92 and how they interconnect. You can see how it might be difficult to talk to a module that isnt directly connected to the bus that the PROcede is on, because it will require it to be passed/translated through other modules like where the iDrive modules are. Not impossible, just saying that its not as easy as sending a command directly to it.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #168
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

I don't believe the subject has even been brought up since it isn't engine related... but would it be possible to implement a software TPMS simulator to keep the dash light off in conditions where the sensor isn't present?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #169
psu139
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344 View Post
I don't believe the subject has even been brought up since it isn't engine related... but would it be possible to implement a software TPMS simulator to keep the dash light off in conditions where the sensor isn't present?

no doubt! that would save plenty of people $.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #170
Septro
Banned
Rep

Holy sticky! That is some hot information Rixster.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #171
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Would it be possible to have the small screen between the speedo and the tacho meters be the boost gauge?

That would be insane

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #172
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Would it be possible to have the small screen between the speedo and the tacho meters be the boost gauge?

That would be insane
that's what he's gonna do
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #173
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
that's what he's gonna do
wow that's awesome can't wait to see how it works. Most likely will buy it

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #174
jeho
ig: jeffersonho
Finland
Rep
Drives: E90M3.E36M3

just get it now..there are many many other great reasons to get it!!

you dont want to be part of the waiting list since its possible once the v3.3 gets released with these
new features, theres gonna be quite a few ppl switching tunes or just buying their 1st tune and u end on up the waiting list haha
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #175
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Keep in mind there are now TWO iDrives. The one in the 06-08 cars and a completely different one in the 09s.

The hardware and software are completely different on both.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #176
samurai1200
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: An 81 Honda! How dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
Keep in mind there are now TWO iDrives. The one in the 06-08 cars and a completely different one in the 09s.

The hardware and software are completely different on both.
good point! while the n54 and CAN communication have stayed the same (necessarily), other stuff (09 idrive, etc) may have/has changed. i'm going to take a wild guess and say that there are different software versions of the idrive, even among the same model-year.

i think that integration with the LCD in the cluster would be enough bad-assery for anyone's good. and if they can already do it, i dont think its worth the necessary R&D to get it on the big LCD. i mean, its not like BMW intra-comm is an open standard... they are basically reverse engineering everything every step of the way...
Appreciate 0