E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > BMW Performance Dampers w/stock base springs?

01-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
OILPowered
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILPowered View Post
Ok, is there a 'd specific ZSP kit, or is the E90 ZSP spring/damper combo universal? Sorry, I'm sure this has been discussed before.
Yes there is a "d" specific ZSP kit (Sports Package Kit). E-mail Evan at Tischer/GetBMWParts.com and he will help you select the right kit for your car from their weibste. BTW, they also have the best OEM prices on the net.

The Performance kit would work too, although I do not beleive BMW has kit model designated for the "d."

ewinstead@mileone.com
Great- exactly what I was looking for- thank you and to all-
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

wouldnt it be easier to just get an M3?...

But in all seriousness, the sports pkg suspension on this car is really good.

I have had 4 M3's and a C4S all with coilovers and even a Lotus Elise so I take handling seriously, but this car with sports pkg is pretty impressive...the non-sports pack car is just ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
wouldnt it be easier to just get an M3?...:lol:

But in all seriousness, the sports pkg suspension on this car is really good.

I have had 4 M3's and a C4S all with coilovers and even a Lotus Elise so I take handling seriously, but this car with sports pkg is pretty impressive...the non-sports pack car is just ok.
Sorry not enough torque and to many trips to the gas station.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
So is that kit all you need to turn a non-sport into an occasional track D?
Well that depends on your expectations. , but essentially yes, the Performance kit includes springs and dampers.
Well i did say occasional (1-2x a year). Any other rec's? (And i also survived 1x with the stock one)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #27
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well i did say occasional (1-2x a year). Any other rec's?
The kit is a great option if you are lesss concerned about ride height and want to keep your car as OEM as possible. In which case I would rec doing as Evan suggsted, go the Performance route (springs and dampers) and if you find you would want to refine your suspension more add the M3 bits. To take it a step further at some point you could add LSD, then M3 sways, at which point your car should be ready for 10 x year.

I just think that kit ia a great value for what you get.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #28
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Well i did say occasional (1-2x a year). Any other rec's?
The kit is a great option if you are lesss concerned about ride height and want to keep your car as OEM as possible. In which case I would rec doing as Evan suggsted, go the Performance route (springs and dampers) and if you find you would want to refine your suspension more add the M3 bits. To take it a step further at some point you could add LSD, then M3 sways, at which point your car should be ready for 10 x year.

I just think that kit ia a great value for what you get.
Perfect. And i have already been considering LSD! i think its a must for the D to eat the gassers up :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #29
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Stock D Suspension Upgrade

Quote:
Perfect. And i have already been considering LSD! i think its a must for the D to eat the gassers up :-)
My current plan, sequence-wise, is the following, for largely logistics reasons:

1. LSD, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Rear Sway (all in one go at a place in Philly)
2. BMW Performance Suspension Kit, M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit Set, M3 Aluminum Rear Guide Rod Set, M3 Aluminum Rear Wishbone Set, and M3 Front Sway Bar Kit. (Phase 2 but following immediately after #1)
3. Tentatively the M3 Front Strut Tower Brace, but need to make sure it doesn't impede anything like getting the engine cover off to take off the JBD when needed. (Possibly include as part of Phase 2)
4. JBD
5. ARC-8 wheels with my original OEM tires when it's time to take off the winter tires. Just trying to decide on the color to go with my Space Grey paint job.
6. Better tires after the OEM tires wear out.
7. Way down on the priority list are cosmetics such as new front bumper, new rear bumper, the little M3 trunk lid spoiler thingy, and black kidney grill and exhaust tips.
8. Perhaps in the future if I grow dissatisfied with the BMW sports dampers I could replace them with some aftermarket product, but I don't know if that will be necessary.

By this time I won't have enough money for DF2, so I guess I'll just admire it in the garage.

Last edited by 335dFan; 01-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Forgot one thing
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
My current plan, sequence-wise, is the following, for largely logistics reasons:

1. LSD, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Rear Sway (all in one go at a place in Philly)
2. BMW Performance Suspension Kit, M3 Front Control Arm/Tension Strut Retrofit Set, M3 Aluminum Rear Guide Rod Set, M3 Aluminum Rear Wishbone Set, and M3 Front Sway Bar Kit. (Phase 2 but following immediately after #1)
3. Tentatively the M3 Front Strut Tower Brace, but need to make sure it doesn't impede anything like getting the engine cover off to take off the JBD when needed. (Possibly include as part of Phase 2)
4. JBD
5. ARC-8 wheels with my original OEM tires when it's time to take off the winter tires. Just trying to decide on the color to go with my Space Grey paint job.
6. Better tires after the OEM tires wear out.
7. Way down on the priority list are cosmetics such as new front bumper, new rear bumper, the little M3 trunk lid spoiler thingy, and black kidney grill and exhaust tips.
8. Perhaps in the future if I grow dissatisfied with the BMW sports dampers I could replace them with some aftermarket product, but I don't know if that will be necessary.

By this time I won't have enough money for DF2, so I guess I'll just admire it in the garage.
Great list and sequence! It might be a good idea to consider a brake upgrade, at least stainless lines and pads.
      01-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #31
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Brakes Too!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
Great list and sequence! It might be a good idea to consider a brake upgrade, at least stainless lines and pads.
Oh yeah. I forgot that I might want to stop sometime. That was the one thing that I was nervous about after several laps at the HPDE and trying to slow down enough at the end of the straight from ~100mph so I could make the right turn. With an automatic there aren't many practical alternatives other than the brake pedal. Going into manual mode is not very comforting when the computer has different ideas than you do about downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If you guys beat me to the LSD I'll be pissed! j/k Next up for me in the spring is M3 bits.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #33
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
If you guys beat me to the LSD I'll be pissed! j/k Next up for me in the spring is M3 bits.
Lol. Ditto. It's tough to justify the expense though. I think im going to need the m3 bits for camber in order to fit the new wheelset, but the LSD is definitely first on the wishlist thereafter.

My money is on dFan to be the winner to that finish line

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Lol. Ditto. It's tough to justify the expense though. I think im going to need the m3 bits for camber in order to fit the new wheelset, but the LSD is definitely first on the wishlist thereafter.

My money is on dFan to be the winner to that finish line
What offsets and qidths are you trying run
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #35
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
You're going to think I'm nuts

...but the rears are 10" et 25 with Hancock 265s (thin tread width / round side wall). I'm on stock suspension so I'm almost good. I should be getting the fender roll soon (to max), then some added camber will be just for safety. I have them test fitted now (sans fender roll, sans extra neg camber) and haven't been rubbing unless I really try (think hard 90deg turn at 50).

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

...but the rears are 10" et 25 with Hancock 265s (thin tread width / round side wall). I'm on stock suspension so I'm almost good. I should be getting the fender roll soon (to max), then some added camber will be just for safety. I have them test fitted now (sans fender roll, sans extra neg camber) and haven't been rubbing unless I really try (think hard 90deg turn at 50).
Nuts???? Nahhhh... That is certainly doable and it sounds like you are doing all of the right things to make it work. I am running 9.5 et 25 with a minor roll and about -1.7 camber in the rear.

What wheels are going with?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #37
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Fender Roll

Quote:
Quote:

Nuts???? Nahhhh... That is certainly doable and it sounds like you are doing all of the right things to make it work. I am running 9.5 et 25 with a minor roll and about -1.7 camber in the rear.

Where do you guys get your fender rolls done? I would think you would want to have it done well so it doesn't look awful. Seems like it would be expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #38
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Where do you guys get your fender rolls done? I would think you would want to have it done well so it doesn't look awful. Seems like it would be expensive.
I had a local guy who lives in Arlington VA do it. He is very good. I think I paid $75 for both sides.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #39
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good luck sorting this out OILPowered. My wife and I test drove a non sport D once and a sport D twice. The non-sport D is very smooth & big car floaty. The sport suspension is very fun to drive but it can be harsh IMO. With the 18" RFTs it's just rude on rough surfaces. I downgraded to 393 17" wheels with doughnut 50 series RFT tires and it feels great but looks a little goofy. Sporty handling with added sidewall flex makes it well rounded.
      01-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #40
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List

Quote:
I had a local guy who lives in Arlington VA do it. He is very good. I think I paid $75 for both sides.
did you use Rob or someone else?

Quote:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786191
<--thats me whem my wife approved the purchase.

Back to the OP, did you happen to notice how much clearance the m3 bits bought you in the fender-wells? (&/or how much they widened the track? same thing i guess asked different ways)

Last edited by FormerRotor; 01-13-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

did you use Rob or someone else?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786191
<--thats me whem my wife approved the purchase.

Back to the OP, did you happen to notice how much clearance the m3 bits bought you in the fender-wells? (&/or how much they widened the track? same thing i guess asked different ways)
Looks great dude, congrats! PSUMSU did the rolling.

What angel eyes did you get? Lux?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #42
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looks great dude, congrats! PSUMSU did the rolling.

What angel eyes did you get? Lux?
thanks, man. its not all out like yours, but were getting there

yeah, i've been running the LUX since last March. experienced a failure, but their in-warranty service was great...not sure if i would recommend them yet though...we'll see how long the replacements last. i think oss may be the only great way to tackle the AEs.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #43
OILPowered
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin
Good luck sorting this out OILPowered. My wife and I test drove a non sport D once and a sport D twice. The non-sport D is very smooth & big car floaty. The sport suspension is very fun to drive but it can be harsh IMO. With the 18" RFTs it's just rude on rough surfaces. I downgraded to 393 17" wheels with doughnut 50 series RFT tires and it feels great but looks a little goofy. Sporty handling with added sidewall flex makes it well rounded.
Yes, I'm hoping the sport suspension bits will be a little tempered by my base 17" wheels and tires. I actually really like the style 284 wheels and have no desire to change them. I did not buy this car to burn at the track- I think it's a perfect cruiser with tons of passing power and excellent mpg- the sport suspension parts should help with its only major deficit in my eyes- which is the slow suspension reaction over elongated bumps and slightly sloppy body roll at speed. I love my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #44
OILPowered
Private
Rep

Update:

Spoke to Evan at Tischer- I may have misunderstood initially, but BMW does not offer the ZSP shock/springs for the 'd as separate parts. Only the BMW Performance set is offered.

I'm afraid this may be a bit too aggressive for my needs as it drops the car an inch and the spring rates are stiffer than the ZSP package, though Evan did state the ride is not supposed to be harsh. I do find "harsh" is quite subjective so I'm not sure.

Anyway, thought I'd share. I'm on the fence at this point.

I may be better off sourcing someone's take off ZSP parts, but unfortunately they're aren't many d's out there for source cars, as we all know.
Appreciate 0