E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWR radiator

02-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #67
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Sorry guys, don't mean to be a Jerk, but I don't think a larger/more efficient radiator will do anything at all for oil temps at the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #68
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Sorry guys, don't mean to be a Jerk, but I don't think a larger/more efficient radiator will do anything at all for oil temps at the track.
its about lowering water temps, not oil temps. Those are no concerns for me.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #69
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey enrita, that's cool.

I believe I will have this sorted by the end of the month.

After further investigation I now know the exact differences between the OE MT rad' out of my 135i and the AT rad' that is in our 335i.

Once PWR have completed the revision of the 5970 unit, we will test fit a sample to our AT 335i shop car to ensure we have a solution for all you AT owners.

Cheers,

JD.
Good news, good work!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #70
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
subscribed! let us know how the testing for the AT goes.
Sure, I will definitely do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Great news Thanks!
No problem Sir.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #71
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

Our testing has shown that water and oil temps are very much interrelated.

After removing my Stett Stage 2 oil cooler kit I saw water temps rise by as much as 4-5 degrees Celsius in stop-go traffic no less.

It stands to reason if you can increase water temps by reducing the efficiency of the oil cooler, could you not decrease and stabilise oil temps by increasing the efficiency of the radiator.

That being said if your oil temps are already low and stable the rad' will have little impact on those, but what it will do is further decrease the thermal load on the engine.

Talk to anyone that has done a lot of circuit racing, they will tell you that under extreme track conditions heat kills components, or at the very least reduces their lifespan.

The other thing to also consider is the durability of the ALL aluminium design.

With the PWR unit you no longer have fragile plastic end tanks that can crack or rupture catastrophically, as water temps and system pressures rise.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #72
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I may be mistaken, but I believe you might have missed one:

Reduced boost/power due to heat. This happens even before you hit limp mode!
      02-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #73
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

Our testing has shown that water and oil temps are very much interrelated.

After removing my Stett Stage 2 oil cooler kit I saw water temps rise by as much as 4-5 degrees Celsius in stop-go traffic no less.

It stands to reason if you can increase water temps by reducing the efficiency of the oil cooler, could you not decrease and stabilise oil temps by increasing the efficiency of the radiator.

That being said if your oil temps are already low and stable the rad' will have little impact on those, but what it will do is further decrease the thermal load on the engine.

Talk to anyone that has done a lot of circuit racing, they will tell you that under extreme track conditions heat kills components, or at the very least reduces their lifespan.

The other thing to also consider is the durability of the ALL aluminium design.

With the PWR unit you no longer have fragile plastic end tanks that can crack or rupture catastrophically, as water temps and system pressures rise.
Justin, if you want to discuss this in depth with me, I will give you my points. Keep in mind, I don't want to harm your sales, cuz I don't care about this product. It's up to you. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #74
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
its about lowering water temps, not oil temps. Those are no concerns for me.
why do you think it will lower water temps? In my opinion it won't.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #75
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
and why is that? soon we will know for sure and drop speculations.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #76
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
You seriously think a larger all-aluminium water radiator will not lower water temperatures compared to the smaller plastic stock radiator?

That goes against everything I've always heard from mechanics and race teams that use these kind of radiators.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #77
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Justin, if you want to discuss this in depth with me, I will give you my points. Keep in mind, I don't want to harm your sales, cuz I don't care about this product. It's up to you. Let me know.
With all due respect if you "don't care about this product", I would rather spend my valuable time answering questions and providing further information to potential customers that do care.

This is a "forum" after all and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the merits of an ALL aluminium radiator.

Regards,

Justin.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #78
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Justin, I'm interested in this thread and the product but there might be some skepticism from the track guys simply because they've tried a lot of things and there's a huge thread in the track forum about water vs. oil temps, and the means to reduce one, or the other, or both temps.

Not starting a fight, I'm genuinely interested in this product but I will wait for some data from the track guys before buying one. I will say that the all aluminum is nice because the plastic necks always end up breaking at some point. On my E36 it's snapped once, and on another car that's also been the case. So it's still a worthwhile replacement at some point.

Keep posting updates here, and if you want an MT track tester, let some of us know.
      02-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #79
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Justin, I'm interested in this thread and the product but there might be some skepticism from the track guys simply because they've tried a lot of things and there's a huge thread in the track forum about water vs. oil temps, and the means to reduce one, or the other, or both temps.

Not starting a fight, I'm genuinely interested in this product but I will wait for some data from the track guys before buying one. I will say that the all aluminum is nice because the plastic necks always end up breaking at some point. On my E36 it's snapped once, and on another car that's also been the case. So it's still a worthwhile replacement at some point.

Keep posting updates here, and if you want an MT track tester, let some of us know.
Hey Chowbow,

I appreciate your interest in our product and welcome further input.

To be honest I am not across the info in the "track forum" thread you mentioned.

However Peter the owner of ADVAN Performance most certainly is and he knows a thing or two about tracking a car.

He has been building circuit cars for more than 15 years.

His own race car is a meticulously built R33 GTR that makes 720 rwhp on a Dyno Dyanimcs dyno, not a "Disney Dynojet".

To say that his circuit car is an absolute beast is an understatement and then some.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #80
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey Gents,

here our a few posts from the 3 Series SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area, that may be of interest to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance
Hi,

lot's of interest you say.

Out of curiosity then, how much would you be prepared to pay for a high quality external trans cooler, that was fitted with a thermatic fan and connected in series to the OE heat exchanger?

We should have correct AT fitment of the "Street/Track" PWR rad' sorted within the next two weeks.

Cheers,

JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb
Justin,

I am not sure if you checked this out but the radiator has more than the two extra fitting. See the attached BMW doc which clearly shows the cooling strategy and circuit. In short, the lower part of the radiator is cordon off from the rest of the unit and you can see the transmission cooling flow counters the main flow. Looking at all the connection should be enough to validate this but from what I can see this is true.

You will have to figure out the flow area for the cordon off area and re adjusts to suite the PWR unit (you can’t guess this). It just a baffle in the header tank but might be pain to implement.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 02-23-2012 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #81
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Great news Justin!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #82
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hi guys,

this was my response to the flow diagram that Orb was kind enough to supply and his fitment concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance
Hey Orb,

thank you for the flow diagram, your assessment regarding construction of the AT rad' is correct, but we are one step ahead of you.

Our "further investigation" had shown that the bottom 6 rows or approximately 40 mm of frontal surface area, is dedicated to coolant flow through the trans cooler heat exchanger.

It is little wonder that the AT vehicles are prone to running hotter, as the already undersized OE rad' loses 12% of its frontal surface area for the purposes of automatic transmission cooling.

FYI guys,

I have a few OE cooling system water hoses and associated parts on the way from the US, they are due to arrive any day.

Once we have those I will be supplying PWR with my OE MT rad' and the relevant OE components so they can make the necessary revisions to the 5970 unit.

The baffle in the end tanks will be easy for PWR implement.

Please remember PWR are not new to the radiator game, they have the facilities to design and manufacture pretty much anything we may require.

As a point of interest they currently supply radiators to Formula 1, Indy Car, NASCAR and V8 Super Cars here in Aus.

As such if Advan Performance supplies PWR with all the correct data, specs and OE components, rest assured the AT version will be manufactured correctly.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 02-23-2012 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #83
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Great news Justin!
Thanks enrita.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #84
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey Gents,

we have 3 confirmed purchasers for our "PWR Street/Track ALL Aluminium Radiator", possibly 4.

Given that we are not too far off from completing the revsion of the 5970 unit, to ensure it's a direct fit for all you AT guys, now would be a good time to express your interest in the rad'.

So we can obtain the numbers required for the GB pricing.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 02-25-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #85
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

A cheeky bump!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #86
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Hey Gents,

we have 3 confirmed purchasers for our "PWR Street/Track ALL Aluminium Radiator", possibly 4.

Given that we are not too far off from completing the revsion of the 5970 unit, to ensure it's a direct fit for all you AT guys, now would be a good time to express your interest in the rad'.

So we can obtain the numbers required for the GB pricing.

Cheers,

JD.
PM price please shipped to California 92603.

I have a slow leak in my radiator. Maybe its time to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #87
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
PM price please shipped to California 92603.

I have a slow leak in my radiator. Maybe its time to upgrade.
Hey mate,

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #88
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Pm price shipped to the netherlands, Amsterdam
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0