E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First Car, Need Help

09-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
ramm_e90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan

First Car, Need Help

For my first post here i might as well explain myself...

Been a fan of BMW ever since my father owned a e39 528i when I was 4. I turned this summer and my father and I decided to look for our 3rd BMW.
We bought a used 2008 328i sedan in black.Car came with premium package and cold weather package.

Only thing wrong with the car are a few paint scrapes here and there. But yesterday as I was removing the front license plate holder (I live in Indiana so these are useless to me) and I found a huge square shaped crack placed right in the middle. I was pissed. Previous owner lived in southern IN so he also had no need for this and decided to cover it up with the plate holder.

I put the plate holder back on and I'm going to keep it there for how ever long it takes me to find a front bumper i like.

I have a lot of ideas for this car for cosmetics and exterior additions but I'm not very smart when it comes to whats under the hood and where I'm looking to go with performance.

I want to get a gloss black grille for the front because I cannot stand those silver strips on the hood.

I'm also looking for a cheap M3 replica front bumper that will fit snug on the front.

That's all I'm looking for right now but I want to look for a CSL trunk and a M-tech rear diffuser for pre-lci.

As for performance, I'm completely blind and to be honest, I won't even focus anything like that until I have a job and out of high school.

I'm always browsing ebay and other sites for cheap parts but if you guys could help me and link some sites for cheap parts that would be great!

I'll post some pics of the car in a few days or so...

Thanks
Carson
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
bmw_hub
Instagram: @bmw_hub
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335I XDRIVE N55

Garage List
2011 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramm11 View Post
For my first post here i might as well explain myself...

Been a fan of BMW ever since my father owned a e39 528i when I was 4. I turned this summer and my father and I decided to look for our 3rd BMW.
We bought a used 2008 328i sedan in black.Car came with premium package and cold weather package.

Only thing wrong with the car are a few paint scrapes here and there. But yesterday as I was removing the front license plate holder (I live in Indiana so these are useless to me) and I found a huge square shaped crack placed right in the middle. I was pissed. Previous owner lived in southern IN so he also had no need for this and decided to cover it up with the plate holder.

I put the plate holder back on and I'm going to keep it there for how ever long it takes me to find a front bumper i like.

I have a lot of ideas for this car for cosmetics and exterior additions but I'm not very smart when it comes to whats under the hood and where I'm looking to go with performance.

I want to get a gloss black grille for the front because I cannot stand those silver strips on the hood.

I'm also looking for a cheap M3 replica front bumper that will fit snug on the front.

That's all I'm looking for right now but I want to look for a CSL trunk and a M-tech rear diffuser for pre-lci.

As for performance, I'm completely blind and to be honest, I won't even focus anything like that until I have a job and out of high school.

I'm always browsing ebay and other sites for cheap parts but if you guys could help me and link some sites for cheap parts that would be great!

I'll post some pics of the car in a few days or so...

Thanks
Carson

Congrats on your first car! I would recommend NOT getting a "cheap" m3 replica bumper, any body component that is "cheap" lacks in durability and quality, it will not line up with the fenders and you will not happy with it, if you want a new bumper, I would get an OEM M-Tech bumper, and gloss black grilles are a must!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
ramm_e90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_hub View Post
Congrats on your first car! I would recommend NOT getting a "cheap" m3 replica bumper, any body component that is "cheap" lacks in durability and quality, it will not line up with the fenders and you will not happy with it, if you want a new bumper, I would get an OEM M-Tech bumper, and gloss black grilles are a must!
Okay thanks for telling me that, by cheap i meant by like 100-200 dollars less than normal replicas go for. Im not a big fan of the m-tech bumper, doesnt seem too much different to me. I already ordered the black gloss grilles and someone stole the silver exhaust pipe covers off...any idea where I can find OEM tips?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Mr. T
Little 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Cheap and BMW don't go together. If you're looking for cheap, sell the car while you still have money in your pocket lol. If you're willing to put in the proper time and work to keep the car in top form, then awesome!

As far as parts, google and the forums are your friend. You'll be doing a lot of searching and reading, so be prepared. The rewards are worth it tho.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Cheap and BMW don't go together. If you're looking for cheap, sell the car while you still have money in your pocket lol. If you're willing to put in the proper time and work to keep the car in top form, then awesome!

As far as parts, google and the forums are your friend. You'll be doing a lot of searching and reading, so be prepared. The rewards are worth it tho.
Agreed. You may get lucky to buy a used one off someone or find one in a scrap yard but expect to pay more like $1000 for a replica bumper cover that fits and has a decent paint job.

As for performance you're limited to max adding about 100hp. If you want HP sell it and buy a mustang or 335 and modify those. A 328 will never beat even a new mustang in acceleration regardless of the mustangs power plant. For me, a former corvette guy, I'm not happy with less than 450 HP in any car. Boring.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 02:37 AM   #6
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
Quote:

Agreed. You may get lucky to buy a used one off someone or find one in a scrap yard but expect to pay more like $1000 for a replica bumper cover that fits and has a decent paint job.

As for performance you're limited to max adding about 100hp. If you want HP sell it and buy a mustang or 335 and modify those. A 328 will never beat even a new mustang in acceleration regardless of the mustangs power plant. For me, a former corvette guy, I'm not happy with less than 450 HP in any car. Boring.
Here we go...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
ramm_e90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

alright sweet! and yes I know, I'm willing to pay money for anything I might need for my car. It is my first car but not my first experience with BMWs. I look around the forums everyday and try and use google and ebay to find the right parts but sometimes it's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for lol
Appreciate 0