E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > why leaase?

03-24-2006, 02:39 AM   #1
luckystrike
First Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 MSport

why leaase?

sorry for being naive, but leasing seems to be popular i the US, we have some leasing options here in vienna but it seeems not that popular, just wondering How leasing works? do you still have to pay for the insurance? is it better than buying the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
NJjustin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 330i W/Sport

1. of course you still have to pay insurance
2. lower monthly payments, less money due at signing, new car every 3 years. those are my reasons for leasing. i dont care what anyone says.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

i agree with justin. especially the lower monthy payment things. if i wanted to own a car, i would be driving a 20k gti or something. but thanks to the beauty of leasing, i get to pretend i have more money then i really do and drive a bmw!
i do know that there are some STATES in the US were leasing is not practical, due to different tax structers, and other reasons, so im sure there are other countries where its not practical either. if leasing isnt popular where you live, this might be why. look into it
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
peter07043
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

I like to own and not worry about how many miles I drive or being nickeled and dimed at lease end for nicks and dings. BMW's also have great resale value, and having some equity in the car is a nice feeling. I also like the feeling that the care belongs to ME, not the leasing company.
      03-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

Agree with all the above reasons. I don't remember seeing recent statistics but used to be the majority of US BMW, MB, Audi, etc. were leased. High value for these cars at the end of lease term means you really can enjoy more car for the money.

However, once you are into leasing it is tough to get out of it since you no longer have a car to trade in.

I think it is popular in US for all cars now because it seems as if you are paying less - but then you get less (no car at end). A lot of people I know exceed their mileage allowance and then are just rolling over more and more costs. If you don't fit the leasing profile (mileage, keeping car maintained and in great shape) it isn't the way to go.
      03-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Get to deduct the car on my corporate taxes
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #7
DoubleL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

As the famous quote goes. Lease what depreciates, buy what appreciates.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno
Get to deduct the car on my corporate taxes
that's pretty much the only reason I'd lease a car. You don't want to lease a car because:

* The selling price is usually MSRP. Many dealers hide this value from you, diverting your attention to low monthly payments.
* Fees to get in, fees to get out. Usually have Dealer Acquisition fees near $700 to get in the car lease, $400 disposition fees at end of the car lease
* High insurance costs. Leasing companies usually require you to purchase minimum insurance policies of $300,000, more than most people normally buy
* Lemon laws don't cover leases in some states. Example: Illinois Lemon Law applies only to new cars, not used car sales or leases
* Long-term cost of leasing is more than the cost of buying: Back to back leasing always costs more than buying because of all the fees
* Mileage limits. Leases limit you to 12000 miles/year, some are 10,000 miles. Many people end up owing thousands in mileage penalties at the end.
* Excess wear and tear clauses: They often nit pick when you bring the car back, finding ways to keep your "refundable security deposit" for excess wear and tear
* Accidents may trigger early termination: Your lease is "terminated," and you're obligated to pay off the lease. Insurance covers damages, but not lease payoff.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleL
As the famous quote goes. Lease what depreciates, buy what appreciates.
Makes sense to me. A lower monthly payment due to leasing will free up cash flow and allow me to buy appreciating assets more easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 03:55 PM   #10
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

New car every 3 or 4 years, no worries about warranty or maintenance (on a BMW anyway), a lot of car for not much scratch.

I'm on my umpteenth lease and have NEVER had a problem being 'nickled and dimed' for my security deposit.

Ideal for those who can write it off OR get a car allowance. My wife gets $500/mo. Do you lease a 330i with ZSP or buy a Malibu?

Downside - unless you fully understand leasing and can calculate in an instant on the back of an envelope, you will be nailed! Guaranteed.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
jflecha
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 330i

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
I'm not sure how much this would help but you can go the the US BMW site: http://www.bmwusa.com/ and plug in the numbers for a lease then a purchase on the car with options and get some idea on the difference.
      03-25-2006, 01:47 PM   #12
dtelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..

If you got the cash, it will be always cheaper to buy rather to lease the car.
At least in Europe, Leasing rates are not always the lowest.

In my case i financed the car with a 2.8% rate . After 4 years the car is mine for a cost less than 2000 euros (i paid cash 15%).

I had no problem to lease a small car (as second car), but in all case i would rather own my BMW
      03-25-2006, 02:19 PM   #13
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike
sorry for being naive, but leasing seems to be popular i the US, we have some leasing options here in vienna but it seeems not that popular, just wondering How leasing works? do you still have to pay for the insurance? is it better than buying the car?
There are several reasons why leasing is popular in the US.
-Less money down at delivery (and sometimes, no money down).
-Ability to change cars often without the hassle of trade-ins or selling your car.
-Lower monthly payments.
-most leases include GAP insurance (covers the difference between the appraised value and the payoff amount of the car should it be totalled in an accident).
-the milage allowances are adjustable (simply choose the milage you want at the begining of the lease to avoid paying penalties).

However one must keep in mind thier financial situation before taking on a lease. There is no equity built into a lease, so after the specified lease term you turn the car in with nothing to show for your payments. However, if the car is leased by a business/corporation the payment can become a tax write-off.

I think that many of the people who lease cars have sound financial reasons for doing so (I have even leased in the past). However, there are always those few individuals who incorrectly stereotype those who lease as people who really can't afford the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD
There are several reasons why leasing is popular in the US.
-Less money down at delivery (and sometimes, no money down).
-Ability to change cars often without the hassle of trade-ins or selling your car.
-Lower monthly payments.
-most leases include GAP insurance (covers the difference between the appraised value and the payoff amount of the car should it be totalled in an accident).
-the milage allowances are adjustable (simply choose the milage you want at the begining of the lease to avoid paying penalties).

However one must keep in mind thier financial situation before taking on a lease. There is no equity built into a lease, so after the specified lease term you turn the car in with nothing to show for your payments. However, if the car is leased by a business/corporation the payment can become a tax write-off.

I think that many of the people who lease cars have sound financial reasons for doing so (I have even leased in the past). However, there are always those few individuals who incorrectly stereotype those who lease as people who really can't afford the car.

hmm how many of you leasers have personal businesses that you leased a BMW???
Appreciate 0