E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Carplay Pioneer DA120 Appradio4 ordered!

10-17-2014, 05:35 AM   #23
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sQeez View Post
Looks great!

Now I know what you mean with the fascia.
Stupid question: What exactly did you run back to the battery? Was that for the constant 12V? Also how hard was it for you to get the mic installed?
Yes - run to the back was for constant 12v - I gave up looking for one in the fuse box - I was running a remote cable and an RCA for my Sub anyway, and it's pretty easy to do - I just pushed the cables under the trim - it really helps that the rear seats fold. - be careful pulling off the sill trim, it's a bit of a bugger to get back on.

The mic was relatively easy if you unscrew both the sunvisor clips, you run the wire under the headlining, under the edge of the A pillar trim and over the glove box - you can reach behind the rearview mirror and there are 2 metal clips that you push in to release the whole roof light unit.

You may find a plastic cover over the mic vent - I had to pull it out using a pair of pliers - i took a god tug, but nothing broke!

I stuck the mic to the rear side of the OEM mic location and angled it down at 45degrees - it is a good fit and there is a small 3M sticky pad with the mic. Ideally you need to seal behind the mic and add something to help suppress road/wind noise from the roof - I used some packing material with insulation tape.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #24
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I would highly recommend a set of these or similar - they made the job soooo much easier - they are great for getting trim off without damage and pushing the wires under the trim without having to remove it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Emeye; 10-18-2014 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Forgot url
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #25
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I put the GPS receiver on the passenger side dash top next to the A pillar, so worth running this at the same time as the mic.

It seems to get a good signal there.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #26
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Will it support a reverse camera setup do you know?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #27
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfaz View Post
Will it support a reverse camera setup do you know?
Yep.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #28
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420D

Ok I have to see how I get the cable to the battery. I dont have folding seats... Will be a huge nightmare, I can see it coming!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #29
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ok I have to see how I get the cable to the battery. I dont have folding seats... Will be a huge nightmare, I can see it coming!
I can't see it being that hard even without folding seats. I bet someone has already done it if you have a good Google.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #30
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone buying one of these for Spotify, be warned that the app is still very buggy. Been doing some very strange things today.....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #31
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Full manual here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...nual080814.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #32
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I have downloaded the Rdio app and I'm going to try it tomorrow. It seems a much better developed app than the Spotify one. For a start it has Chromecast support which Spotify can't be arsed with! If Rdio works with caplay well I will be dumping my Spotify sub and going with Rdio.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #33
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

http://www.appradioworld.com/2014/10...-bug-that.html

Apperantly Spotify was fixed this morning with the new update. Can you confirm? For me its a huge deal breaker that Spotify is so buggy..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #34
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

I have been discussing this on Twitter with pioneeruk and appradioworld.

I updated today but still not working - it has been suggested I upgrade iOS to 8.1 and try again, then uninstall and reinstall the Spotify app.

Rdio is same as Spotify and works really well - been out and about in the car today travelling for work and gave it a good test. Rdio is also chromecast compatible which spotify isn't. I cancelled my spotify premium yesterday. You can get free trial of Rdio.

Last edited by Emeye; 10-20-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #35
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Spotify appears to be working better, but I cancelled my Premium sub yesterday. I installed the 8.1 iOS update and reinstalled the latest Spotify App. Try before uninstalling your Spotify app to save having to download all you offline music!

I thought it was worth mentioning that you need 5 metres of cable to run power to the rear if you run it down the passenger side - I'd bought 4m but it didn't quite make it - luckily the yellow perm power cable with the connects2 was quite long so I joined it under the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
sQeez
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Thanks for the heads up with the cable!
I was about to get 4m as I thought it would be sufficient enough.

Good to hear that spotify seems to work better now. Lets hope it stays that way
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #37
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up with the cable!
I was about to get 4m as I thought it would be sufficient enough.

Good to hear that spotify seems to work better now. Lets hope it stays that way
If you went down the drivers side 4m might do it. Passenger side seemed easier though.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #38
DaveCR
Rep
Drives: Looking for 320D E90

Hi there! What did you use to keep the steering wheel commands working in your new radio?

Did your BMW HU professional had bluetooth already? Is the mic in the roof the one that comes in the pioneer unit?

I've been looking for info like what you just did, it's great to know it's possible!

I read somewhere that you need to keep the original bmw HU so you dont lose things like the gong sound etc, is that true?

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #39
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

could you post some additional pics in more daylight at like a 45 degree angle I'd like to see how the bezel looks a little bit better.

Thanks and nice job!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #40
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
Hi there! What did you use to keep the steering wheel commands working in your new radio?

Did your BMW HU professional had bluetooth already? Is the mic in the roof the one that comes in the pioneer unit?

I've been looking for info like what you just did, it's great to know it's possible!

I read somewhere that you need to keep the original bmw HU so you dont lose things like the gong sound etc, is that true?

Regards,
I used a connects2 canbus adapter. There are 2 versions, one that allows you to keep the PDC gongs, another that allows you to use the phone button on the steering wheel. Both versions allow you to use the volume and track change buttons etc but for some reason you can't have both phone button and PDC working....

I didn't have bluetooth in my car, the mic I fitted in the ceiling is the pioneer one - I am seriously thinking of moving it out and sticking it to the side of the rear view mirror as it struggles to pick me up when driving. I think the design of mic is different than the OEM one and doesn't wok well in the roof.

You don't need to keep the BMW HU in place, but the connects2 kit is plug and play so it's very easy to go back to std if required.

Last edited by Emeye; 10-22-2014 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #41
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
could you post some additional pics in more daylight at like a 45 degree angle I'd like to see how the bezel looks a little bit better.

Thanks and nice job!
I will try get some tomorrow. It isn't the greatest fit tbh, but is acceptable for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #42
DaveCR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
I used a connects2 campus adapter. There are 2 versions, one that allows you to keep the PDC gongs, another that allows you to use the phone button on the steering wheel. Both versions allow you to use the volume and track change buttons etc but for some reason you can't have both phone button and PDC working....

I didn't have bluetooth in my car, the mic I fitted in the ceiling is the pioneer one - I am seriously thinking of moving it out and sticking it to the side of the rear view mirror as it struggles to pick me up when driving. I think the design of mic is different than the OEM one and doesn't wok well in the roof.

You don't need to keep the BMW HU in place, but the connects2 kit is plug and play so it's very easy to go back to std if required.
Man thank you so much for answering my questions!

Can you share which connects2campus you use? Is this switch exclusive for bmw? Im going to research a bit..

The car does not come with pdc so Im good, Im planning to install a camera, its very simple I have it in another car..

You know the mic I have from a Pioneer is also near the rear view mirror and works very good.. Perhaps its a good idea to take it out

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #43
Emeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
Man thank you so much for answering my questions!

Can you share which connects2campus you use? Is this switch exclusive for bmw? Im going to research a bit..

The car does not come with pdc so Im good, Im planning to install a camera, its very simple I have it in another car..

You know the mic I have from a Pioneer is also near the rear view mirror and works very good.. Perhaps its a good idea to take it out

Thanks again!
Apologies, my ipad autocorrected me and I didn't notice! It's can-bus, not campus!

I bought Ctkbm01 secondhand, but that may not suit you - there are more on page 2 of the link below. The kit depends on whether you have auto a/c or manual, whether you need to relocate the heated seat switches and the colour of your trim. None of those kits may suit if you do not have PDC sensors, so prob worth dropping connects2 an email.
http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2/C2Rang...arentgroupid=0
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #44
DaveCR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
Apologies, my ipad autocorrected me and I didn't notice! It's can-bus, not campus!

I bought Ctkbm01 secondhand, but that may not suit you - there are more on page 2 of the link below. The kit depends on whether you have auto a/c or manual, whether you need to relocate the heated seat switches and the colour of your trim. None of those kits may suit if you do not have PDC sensors, so prob worth dropping connects2 an email.
http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2/C2Rang...arentgroupid=0
Thank you again!
Appreciate 0