E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I want to go faster 07 328i sedan

06-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #67
Torobimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 Pre-LCI prem+sport 6mt

Question LONG blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher160 View Post
Since you have the same car as me this is what I have done and what I would do if I was you.

-BMS Powerbox- $200-$250
-K&N drop in filter & charcoal delete(I did BMW performance intake, but it's not worth the money. $65-$75
-MMW exhaust or any exhaust you like. It's more about the sound then performance. $80-$1000
-3-stage manifold. You don't have to do the tune, it works great w/ Powerbox. - $250 -$1000
-MMW Headers - Once I do headers then I will spend the money on a tune. $1100
-and then Suspension $1100 and wheels and tires $1800 and your done for now. the
last thing would be aSupercharger.($6500) hopefully for the SC.

All the prices I have are the range you can spend on each item for your car. There is also cosmetics and things but those are the performance mods that will make it faster.
ty and to all for putting this helpful guide together for those just getting into the hobby and new to e90 community.

Active AutowerkeTune $500
Scoops $45
Char Delete + KN filter $50
MagnaFlow Performance Muffler MF12138 + Res delete + Cyba Carbon tips $200
or
MagnaFlow Catback System (im still lost which catback systems do i need?)
or
Active Autowerke | N52 Signature Exhaust http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710181

Gear ratio change to improve 0-120mph climb but mostly 3rd gear power improvement, especially putting the power on early abusing the chassis. $? and where do i get gearing optimization done at?

Lighter wheels.(still on stock but with new grippy rubber so wheel/tire upgrade is last)
more Track time experience.

Holding out: 3 stage Manifold and MMW Headers. idk how much value for hp I'll benefit from these. but for sure i'll be upgrading 3statge + headers before i do any type of suspension upgrades. balance out of box with this chassis can still be pushed further...what N52 cars need is more power.

where else can i scavenge for more speed?
at this point a im thinking new Carbon Fiber hood can reduce good weight. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedbimmer View Post
eurocharged tune makes more power and is cheaper, I have it and I love it. Best money spent on my car hands down.
Active AutowerkeTune< Eurocharge tune?
tune is most important upgrade for n52 for sure. which is better? must not get this wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Are you looking for a better launch from drag racing? If so just take some free time aside, join a driving school with your car and learn from then on. I can't say too much for AT but for MT, there's a lot of room to run perfect launches. I personally took 2 years learning the "perfect" launch. It took many days, many hours of testing an a whole lot of tires. For mid to highend speed, I recommend full straight pipes. Cat deletes are very handy but very pricey. Supersprint and mmw both make catless headers. detailaddict and eissenmann make catless mid pipes. Pick out a good exhaust and the perfect backpressure will make you get great lowend performance. My only warning is that it'll be very very loud if you get a full straight pipe without cats. Too little backpressure and you'll lose out on low end power(0-45 mph) which you are searching for?? Well a good tune, plus intake and exhaust is about as much as you can do without motorswapping or 'gutting' the car out. Pick your wheels and tires wisely as well as too wide will make you pull dead weight and too thin will compromise traction. Suspension helps you keep the power down and a nice strong Limited slip differential will help you put the power to the wheels. Basically in short, race exhaust (straight pipes a.k.a. catless pipes), suspension, wheels, tires, intake mod, LSD(limited slip differential) and tune is the best you can really do. All together being new you'd look at a ballpark of around 4-6k dollars. Pick your parts wisely and always ask if you don't know 100%. And good luck to you!
I highlighted the good stuff.
Awesome post
I need your advice man, Im wanting more power between 35- and up 90 mph (corner exits) but at same time need exhaust solution that will not totally kill my low end torque.
coming from race engineer's mentality whats your recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
^
It always cracks me up that everyone says a tune, exhaust, intake, etc. It's hard to get power out of an NA BMW-for immediate results a shorter ratio rear end does wonders. They don't call it the poor man's supercharger for nothing.

Years ago, at BeaveRun, my friends E36 325is was easily capable of staying with my other friend's E36 M3 on a straight, if not quicker due to a change from a 3.15 to a 3.46.

It's funny, 328s are not as slow as everyone makes them out to be. They've got very good power and still fun to drive.
would i be hurting the longevity of N52 if changed to shorter gear ratio?

[B] to all you enthusiast helping out newcomers, if you got some answers or have something to share, do tell.
i just want to get out there with a bit more power and enjoy road racing. E90 community!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #68
The Kingpin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

Your gonna spend all this time and money to get a bit more from your 328. Why not just save the extra cash and buy a 335i. You have alot more car right off the hop.

Then everything else you do is just gravy. Ive done JB4, dual cone intakes, 5" intercooler and 3" downpipes. Plus minor exterior stuff. Im pushin almost 400HP and cost me $1500 for the parts.

You cant do that to a 328.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #69
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post
Your gonna spend all this time and money to get a bit more from your 328. Why not just save the extra cash and buy a 335i. You have alot more car right off the hop.

Then everything else you do is just gravy. Ive done JB4, dual cone intakes, 5" intercooler and 3" downpipes. Plus minor exterior stuff. Im pushin almost 400HP and cost me $1500 for the parts.

Your suggestion is food for thought particularly if one's considering going "all out" on a 328i.
On the other hand, one can make meaningful changes with a tune. The cost of a tune may be less than the increase in car insurance for the 335i, for one year.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a setup like yours. Just doesn't fit in my budget today.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #70
tamster00
Uhh, Hi =)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 335i, 12' Fit Sport

I had a 328i, and it was fun while it lasted. Had the AA tune, K&N drop in filter with charcoal delete, gutted pre-cats and a BMW PE exhaust. It may not be fast, but its fast to cut off the slower crap on the road

Now - 11' E90 335i Performance Edition|Space Gray Metallic|Sport|Premium|Navigation|Steptronic|JB4|E R Charge Pipe|HP Autowerks Foam Filter
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #71
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
the n52 cannot compete with the 335 in terms of hp and torque. you can improve it somewhat. it can compete or exceed in cornering if you make your investment in suspension mods,
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #72
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Why does everything look like bold
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #73
Tim603
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingpin View Post

I was waiting for someone to say this

---> Can you do a differential upgrade to a xi??? If so seems like the best way to redirect the power for better launches. Also how much better is that AA Tune and will it replace my BMS PBX (i assume it would but had to ask). Lastly would i have to get the AA Tune professionally installed b/c i did my bms pbx on my own and it went just fine. Thanks for the feed back.