E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > m3 sway bars? worth it?

08-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
JJBA223
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

m3 sway bars? worth it?

So im buying a rear m3 sway bar from a member on here. How do i tell if its genuine m3? He also says its missing the brackets. What mm is the sway bar so that i know which part to order. Or if anyone has the part number it would make ordering it from the dealership easier.

My next qeuestion is would a front sway bar work on my 2007 e92 if it was from a 2011 e92 m3 with smg tranny?

And is it worth it? Ill have about $300 maybe $375 with labor once said and done.

And will i need my tires realigned?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
solishe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBA223
So im buying a rear m3 sway bar from a member on here. How do i tell if its genuine m3? He also says its missing the brackets. What mm is the sway bar so that i know which part to order. Or if anyone has the part number it would make ordering it from the dealership easier.

My next qeuestion is would a front sway bar work on my 2007 e92 if it was from a 2011 e92 m3 with smg tranny?

And is it worth it? Ill have about $300 maybe $375 with labor once said and done.

People usually put on m3 front bar first as it's a much cheaper install (probably 30 min job no alignment needed). That upgrade is definitely worth it. Then assess the handling improvement of that mod first and see if it is all you need. Rear bar swap requires subframe drop and labor is going to be high (best to do a rear bar upgrade with other work requiring subframe drop, like m3 subframe bushings). That upgrade is only worth it when done with other work requiring subframe lowering. Probably not necessary to do alignment if job is done well (but folks usually recommend getting one anytime subframe is lowered). I had the subframe lowered once and didn't need one then had it lowered again and it was off a bit upon alignment check. I'm one of several that put the 22.5mm m3 rear bar on and had corner traction issues even with an LSD. So I downgraded to the 15mm e93 bar and my traction issues are gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBA223 View Post

Looking for a cheap rear suspension fix? M3 bar isn't it. Without LSD, expect hop & skip....

You're better off with new M3 rear subframe bushings. Dropping the subframe's easy, don't let a mech BS ya. 6 bolts, brake line disconnect; exhaust disconnect. Not difficult on jack stands - snap on a lift.

That LSD is major improvement....save your pennies and think about that.
Appreciate 0