E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > $500+ diagnosis....$1700 quote!!

06-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #45
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruition3000 View Post
OH shit that looks like Ramsey!!
Well Im glad its not my dealership Park Ave , i dont recall their service location having that flooring.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #46
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
i dont recall their service location having that flooring.
I'd imagine you'd recall flooring of that caliber.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #47
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Haha It's no where in NJ. I'll be posted the location tomorrow. If you guys wanna take a stab at it, I'm interning for Pepsi Co.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #48
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Ohh I'm not paying it. Look at my post earlier. I'm getting a $1 part from the hardware store and fixing it myself.

So this is what I'm going to say to the SA tomorrow:

I told you exactly what to check so there was no need to scan my car. I told you the P code and that I knew there was a leak in the system. From the pictures it's obvious that you can see the leak without dropping all the components you did. You acknowledged that you knew about the check valve problem I had in my brake pedal. I have the service bulletin heuhh.
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B340607g.htm

So you're telling me you took 5 hours to run a smoke test and check my brake booster's check valve, which you should have known about, and you expect me to pay you $500+ for the "time" and "labor" you spent working on my car. I don't think so.

I was eyeing that watch you have in the display case over there. Give me a good deal on it and this won't go to BMW NA.

Hahaha I know it's long. But when I'm mad...I type forever. lol
I still don't get why it's not covered, I would tell the SA to show me where it's excluded and hand him the contract.

Anyway, same with my friend at Nissan, he told the dealership it was 0304 EVAP canister purge valve. They still charged him $380 which included diagnostics. But that's nowhere near $1700 which is a jacked-up BMW price. Why my friend paid it was the car eventually became not able to start hot, and it got worse and worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #49
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
I mentioned I got in an accident and had some welding done. I know it's a long post...you probably missed that. A mig welder was used to reinforce the mount on the rear axle carrier for the rear toe link. The shop may have melted it. Not really worried about that. Accidents happen. I know I should go after them for it but the way I'm fixing it will be fine. If that fails then I'll go after them. Just to clarify, I'm pissed about the $500+ for labor they are trying to charge me. $500 to run a smoke test? I don't think so. I'm not too pissed about the quote because I'm not do it there. But $1700 to replace the hose is insane. It's a $50 hose and at $125/hour...11 hours to get the job done. $1375 for labor and $425 for the hose? Doesn't add up. Maybe at $150/hour. Regardless it's expensive.

Anyone know how to replace the check valve behind the brake booster? I heard it's easy and a $20 part. Again $670 for it? They think I'm stupid...they're the ones that are in for a surprise.
You are right I missed that in the mega paragraph. When a mouse chewed my evap system (part #8 in the drawing) the dealer did a smoke test and found the problem relatively quickly. My car was still under warranty at the time and just a year and a half old. The test and repair was only $300, which I thought was very reasonable. My insurance covered all but $100 of the repair.

In your case I'd call the insurance company that paid for the repair (assuming the accident was covered by someone's insurance) and have them pay for it. Usually the claim stays open for one to two years to allow time for the owner to find any additional issues with the accident damage, or a faulty repair. But what I can only discern from your willingness to eat the cost and do a DIY on the hose, it appears the accident was your fault and you paid for the original damage out of pocket. If you didn’t, then I’d go back to the insurance company and have them get the car fixed at no cost to you.

If the car is still at the dealer this moring and you can go the insurance route, just call the insurance company and have them work the issues with the dealer and the original repair shop. Getting pissed about it and trying to get the dealer to not charge you is not going to work. You can tell the dealer anything you want about what you think the problem with the car is (OBDII codes and all), but they are still going to go through their procedure to evaluate the problem. Their procedure apparently costs $500.

Once you touch it, forget about the repair shop being willing to fix it for you if your home remedy doesn't work. They will say it was not their fault.

Last edited by ENINTY; 06-11-2010 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #50
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Your right I paid out pocket and the accident was during the winter. I slid out coming out of a turn and hit a curb. I spoke with the shop that did the work already. Sent them pictures. I can't beleive it's $500 to run the test. I told them it was in the right rear wheel well and that I could smell gas there. Why they stated in the front I don't know.

UPDATE: spoke to the SA this morning over the phone at work. He was not pleased about the fact that I knew so much about the system and was calling all his bullshit comments. I called because I needed a shuttle from my house to the service dealer. He hung up. This is going straight to BMW NA. I'm not giving them a chance to redeem themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #51
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I also told the SA where the smell was coming from and that I knew it was within the rear wheel well of my car. No need to test the front portion of the vehicle. Regardless, the SA should have menetioned to me that the charge would be $500+ for the test. Even before removing any panels, he should have contatced me. This was handled very poorly.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #52
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
I also told the SA where the smell was coming from and that I knew it was within the rear wheel well of my car. No need to test the front portion of the vehicle. Regardless, the SA should have menetioned to me that the charge would be $500+ for the test. Even before removing any panels, he should have contatced me. This was handled very poorly.
Typical SA bull. They don't know the car as well as many of us. Now that I have read the Bentley manual front to back several times, no one is going to be able to BS me. Good luck with BMW NA.

I picked up my new car on 5/15/2007 and watched it come off the truck. It was at the dealer for about 2 hours for delivery prep, and I'm very glad it has never been back to any BMW service department in over 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #53
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I'll be ordering a bentley manual this weekend. I shouldn't have even bothered with the damn stealership in the first place. My
parents wasted so much money on this "extended warranty."
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #54
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast335i View Post
Well Im glad its not my dealership Park Ave , i dont recall their service location having that flooring.

Park Aves is just patterned concrete
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #55
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I would prefer a larger tile for my garage floor, the ones pictured in OP are probably a little too much hassle to clean.