E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Synapse bov issue

09-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #1
Linx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Synapse bov issue

Having an issue with my bov. Have had it on for a few months and noticing what sounds like a leak. At first I had both port A and B connected. While at cruising speed and around maybe 2500-3500 rpm I can hear a hissing sound right before I hear the turbos spooling up. But if I give it heavy load I don't get that sound. I called Synapse regarding this and they told me this is normal. So I changed the connection to port A only. This seemed to give me way less hissing and also seemed to do it at a higher rpm range.
But lately the hissing seems to be getting worse. And tonight I took off giving about 70% throttle and it was hissing all the way through. Even the blow off sound was weak. I would like to note this was at a cold start (let the car warm for about 10 min first). So I went on a few test hard pulls and it seemed to blow off normally. But I never have had the hissing sound on hard pulls anyways.
Another issue I've noticed from a little after install. When doing real hard pulls it sometimes doesn't whoosh between changing certain gears. This could be because I switch gears so fast, but shouldn't it still give a quick whoosh? It scares me because I'm afraid I might destroy something.
I have done some searching and seen in other posts that the little spring inside might be broken and the cause. But the posts I read didn't have the same exact problems I have. Does anyone have any idea? Sorry if I wasn't clear and made things more confusing.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #2
mattgu40
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 x5 35i E92 N54

Not the best bov imo, but im still running it as its not causing me any surge, had some issues where the piston inside the bov was getting stuck in the housing in open position contacted them showing the poor design.. removed my little spring as it shown weare and kept on getting stuck.. i keep mine lubed strip it and grease every second month or after long storage periode. upgrading the vacuums line is a must 1/8 npt barb fitting .. i am even tempted to put a second one at the other end of the intake to accomodate the second port on the BOV.

interested in some more experiance with this as mine still stays open for a few milli seconds when i go WOT and the boost builds ( i can clearly hear it)

Last edited by mattgu40; 09-25-2017 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

I have this bov and mine does it too, its normal i believe. Absolutely glorious sounding thing and the hissing adds to the experience, my passengers fucking love it.

You dont hear it under full boost because its working and doing its job, holding shut.
Appreciate 0