E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BMW Canada extends warranty to 10 years on n54 hpfp!

10-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #23
antrot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 335i sedan

I just think that we dont complain enough..or dont put in any formal complaints to BMW Canada and to our appropriate vehicle complaint board.
In the US they are always complaining and thats why they end up getting their way.
Up until now my car has been pretty good, few minor issues,

until two days ago when the car starts shaking, having seizures and engine lights start popping on with reduced power lights.
Its now at the dealer and they have it hooked up like a dying person on life support trying to figure out what is wrong with it....
Im sure enough of us have had this issue and we need to bring our concerns out of this forum and into the media spotlight, Im sure someone here is a writer or in media or something and can bring this into light.

Its really a safety issue, luckily i had just pulled out of a parking lot when the car so i safely pulled over and crawled my way back into the lot.
If i was on the highway i would have been hammered by another car....like the car just died on me no power felt worse then driving a toyota echo
We need mass recall and a serious fix to this issue!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
I’m assuming this is a BMW dealership with a certified BMW repair facility? BMW Canada makes the decisions on warranty covered work; it shouldn’t be up to the individual dealerships.
lol...I know you are from Vancouver...but still kind of funny...yes Town and Country is a full service dealership...but like someone else said, they are one of the bad ones (IMHO) and some of their Asian sales persons are the snootiest I've ever met...their car service to clients from other dealerships is horrible...but others on this forum have had positive experiences so its a tough call.....
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #25
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
But T&C is always an as*hole
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
lol...I know you are from Vancouver...but still kind of funny...yes Town and Country is a full service dealership...but like someone else said, they are one of the bad ones (IMHO) and some of their Asian sales persons are the snootiest I've ever met...their car service to clients from other dealerships is horrible...but others on this forum have had positive experiences so its a tough call.....
Wow, that really sucks....Id put a complaint in to Bmw Canada. When my 335 broke down after owning it for less than 2 weeks (HPFP + defective camshaft) I complained to Bmw Canada about the way my dealership (AutoWest BMW in Richmond BC) was handling it and within a few days I had Autowest calling me up and offering me free full auto-spa detailing packages plus 1 free months lease payments. The car was in the shop for close to a month, so the lease coverage was pretty much a given I guess, but I think it’s worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Do you mind sharing which dealer(s)? PM me if you'd like.
I had mine replaced last week with no fault codes at AutoWest in Richmond BC. I had brought it in twice before for long cranks and they put me through the “software update” process before replacing the HPFP (unit no. 3 at 38,000kms!).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
oel
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 335i, 13' E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I had mine replaced last week with no fault codes at AutoWest in Richmond BC. I had brought it in twice before for long cranks and they put me through the “software update” process before replacing the HPFP (unit no. 3 at 38,000kms!).
That's not bad, I am on my third one at 23k km
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #28
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oel View Post
That's not bad, I am on my third one at 23k km
Damn!! I don’t even know what to do anymore...I keep my tank more than ¼ full all the time, I’ve tried changing fuel, since the guys at Bmw told me not to use Chevron 94, but that didn’t do anything. It’s getting to the point now that every time I start the car, I count the cranks it takes to start! This sh!t is making me paranoid!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #29
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Damn!! I don’t even know what to do anymore...I keep my tank more than ¼ full all the time, I’ve tried changing fuel, since the guys at Bmw told me not to use Chevron 94, but that didn’t do anything. It’s getting to the point now that every time I start the car, I count the cranks it takes to start! This sh!t is making me paranoid!
What gas do you use now? Petro Can 91 has ethanol in it too.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #30
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I thought the issue wasn't related to what fuel you use?

For example, many used Shell V-power and still had to get their HPFP replaced?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #31
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
But T&C is always an as*hole
+1! The only good thing about town and country is that Will works there!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #32
commie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

When you guys mention long cranks as a telltale sign of the start of the HPFP failure, what do you consider long cranks?
My 335 is at 14,000 km's, and lately I am noticing once in a while, the crank takes a few extra click before the car starts..Its not very long, almost like just a couple of coughs....and it doesn't happen every time...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #33
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
What gas do you use now? Petro Can 91 has ethanol in it too.
Petro is what the tech recommended i use...According to him, BMW did some independent testing and found the Petro Can gas had averaged less ethanol than Chevron (even though chevron 94 claims to have no ethanol!?!?) I still think the gas issue is a load of B.S. but I’m pretty much willing to try anything right now to increase the longevity of my HPFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
I thought the issue wasn't related to what fuel you use?

For example, many used Shell V-power and still had to get their HPFP replaced?
As I posted above, it probably makes no difference, but I am willing to give it a try and go with what the BMW techs recommend: i.e. Petro Can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commie View Post
When you guys mention long cranks as a telltale sign of the start of the HPFP failure, what do you consider long cranks?
My 335 is at 14,000 km's, and lately I am noticing once in a while, the crank takes a few extra click before the car starts..Its not very long, almost like just a couple of coughs....and it doesn't happen every time...
I hate to tell you this, but that is usually how it starts. I had a tech tell me that cranks over 2 seconds are cause for concern. Your best bet is to monitor it and if you notice it happening more frequently (especially when you first start your car up in the day.) I would bring it in to the dealership.....Hopefully your dealership is a good one that will replace your HPFP even if your half engine light is not on.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #34
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
So to finally put this argument to rest, i spoke to the head tech at auto-west BMW in Richmond and I received confirmation that BMW has extended the hpfp warranty to 10 years for us Canadians. It's all very preliminary still, so there is no documentation as of yet, however once documentation is available, I will be getting a copy sent to me which I'll gladly post on the forum.*

Great news for us out of warranty 335s!!!
Did you get this written confirmation yet? I have three engine codes, all HPFP related, and the car is no longer under warranty. Elite BMW is saying they can change the pump, but I will have to pay out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #35
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Petro is what the tech recommended i use...According to him, BMW did some independent testing and found the Petro Can gas had averaged less ethanol than Chevron (even though chevron 94 claims to have no ethanol!?!?) I still think the gas issue is a load of B.S. but I’m pretty much willing to try anything right now to increase the longevity of my HPFP.

As I posted above, it probably makes no difference, but I am willing to give it a try and go with what the BMW techs recommend: i.e. Petro Can.

I hate to tell you this, but that is usually how it starts. I had a tech tell me that cranks over 2 seconds are cause for concern. Your best bet is to monitor it and if you notice it happening more frequently (especially when you first start your car up in the day.) I would bring it in to the dealership.....Hopefully your dealership is a good one that will replace your HPFP even if your half engine light is not on.
A lot of people have been suggesting the HPFP failures are due to air bubbles in the fuel line that come from low fuel levels; going into the HPFP and causing damage.

I have 35 K on my car, no HPFP failure and have never ever left the tank with less than 1/2 . I know its sample size of one, just saying.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #36
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
Did you get this written confirmation yet? I have three engine codes, all HPFP related, and the car is no longer under warranty. Elite BMW is saying they can change the pump, but I will have to pay out of pocket.
Did you try checking another dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #37
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
Did you try checking another dealer?
No, not yet. I tried to phone the other dealer here in Ottawa a couple of times, but they haven't phoned back. I guess they don't want the business.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #38
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
+1! The only good thing about town and country is that Will works there!
Just bought my mini cooper from that dealership and had no problems. Actually had a really good experience.

I am guess the sales rep from Mini side are much better at customer service.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #39
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
That is utter and complete nonsense.

However, I would work with both Elite and Otto's to have them inquire on your behalf as to whether the warranty has been extended, my understand is that it has.

You should get confirmation from BMW canada.

BTW, many of us are getting our HPFP's replaced under the recall -- which given that many of us here have scheduled appointments...seems to indicate that we are getting an HPFP change.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #40
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
That is utter and complete nonsense.

However, I would work with both Elite and Otto's to have them inquire on your behalf as to whether the warranty has been extended, my understand is that it has.

You should get confirmation from BMW canada.

BTW, many of us are getting our HPFP's replaced under the recall -- which given that many of us here have scheduled appointments...seems to indicate that we are getting an HPFP change.
I specifically asked Elite to investigate if the HPFP is covered by an extended warranty. They phoned me back, and told me that it is not covered.

I have also sent an email to BMW Canada, but no reply yet. I'm sure they'll get back to me, so I'll report back once I hear.

I'm also not sure if this recall is specific to just one or two model years. It's hard to tell because I haven't seen any paperwork from a dealer or BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #41
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I don't think the recall is to replace the pumps. Are you sure? It's just to update your software I believe? They are doing that now to all cars that go in for any service. If the pump fails/starts throwing codes, that's when they'd replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #42
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
A lot of people have been suggesting the HPFP failures are due to air bubbles in the fuel line that come from low fuel levels; going into the HPFP and causing damage.

I have 35 K on my car, no HPFP failure and have never ever left the tank with less than 1/2 . I know its sample size of one, just saying.
Can you quote a few? I've read of people who swear they never let their tanks get below 1/4 and have had pumps die on them. Expecting people not to drop below 1/2 a tank I think is impractical. How often do you fill up!?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #43
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

I am constantly below 1/4 gas due to the fact that my rear tires rub and I want to minimize it with less weight. 70k and no hpfp problem...

I am more inclined to believe that hpfp failures are caused by manufacturing defects that occur only on a few (maybe 1 out of 4). This defect is on a microscopic level and could not be detected during QA. Some factors like ethanol accelerate this defect and cause it to fail eventually.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #44
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Sounds like its time to write to BMW Canada through a class action lawyer.
Appreciate 0